Thread: New Comp

New Comp

Well I'm rolling with a laptop that is almost topped in memory and has lines appearing on the screen, soooo I was wondering what would be a good computer to get that won't break the bank and is easily upgraded. I'm not so great with computers please help :-\

Re: New Comp

You aren't so great at reading either. http://www.mmo-champion.com/computer...mation-154701/

Help me Build a System

* Building yourself or Premade
    * Budget
    * What can be reused
    * Country
    Obviously it would be a premade and not much, if anything, will be reused since it's a laptop but we still need to know your budget and what country you are located in.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

depends at the budget.
    and depends on your personal opinion do you want 20-30-40-50 or 60 fps in a 25 man raid?

Do you want a desktop or laptop?
    If you're going for a desktop then I suggest
    CPU - i5 or phenom II x4.
    GPU - Radeon 5770 or 5870 depending on budget.
    The rest of the PC depends on what CPU and GPU you have.

I don't recommend a laptop if you're planning on playing a lot of games. Laptop tend to be very expensive compared to a desktop with the same parts, they are also a lot harder to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixia
    I don't recommend a laptop if you're planning on playing a lot of games. Laptop tend to be very expensive compared to a desktop with the same parts, they are also a lot harder to upgrade.
    Besides difficulty with upgrades, laptops have a tendency to run hot due to limitations on cooling and airflow. The high heat can lead to shorter lifespans of the parts as well as outright damage from playing too long or maximizing graphics with disregard to your internal laptop temperatures. From the description of the OP's screen, it sounds like he/she might already have signs of previous/current overheating problem or a damaged GPU/VRAM in their laptop.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Thanks for all the feedback. Heres some stuff i forgot to post in the original post-
    ~yes i would like to have a desktop seeing as you get more bang for your buck and they are alot easier to upgrade
    ~i have a really low price range because i dont have a job (still in school) so round $600-1100

Quote Originally Posted by Durand
    Thanks for all the feedback. Heres some stuff i forgot to post in the original post-
    ~yes i would like to have a desktop seeing as you get more bang for your buck and they are alot easier to upgrade
    ~i have a really low price range because i dont have a job (still in school) so round $600-1100
    You still didn't mention your location... US?
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Ya US sorry, Eastern Time

Intel Build:
    CPU + RAM Combo: i5 750 + G.Skill 2x2gb CAS7
    GPU + PSU Combo: XFX 5770 + Corsair 650TX
    Motherboard: Asrock P55 Extreme 1156
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb
    Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Thermal Compound: AS5 or MX-2
    Case: Antec 300 Illusion
    Optical Drive: Generic Sony DVD burner

Total cost: $883.90

AMD Build:
    CPU + Heatsink Combo: Heatsink: AMD Phenom II x4 955 + Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    GPU + PSU Combo: XFX 5770 + Corsair 650TX
    Motherboard: Asrock 890GX Sata3.0+USB3.0
    RAM: G.Skill 2x2gb CAS7
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb
    Thermal Compound: AS5 or MX-2
    Case: Antec 300 Illusion
    Optical Drive: Generic Sony DVD burner

Total cost: $833.90

There's room for upgrade,in both builds, if you're willing to go closer to the edge of your budget. Both builds are pretty much equal, but 1156 might not be getting any huge groundbreaking CPUs whereas the AMD AM3 socket is getting at least one new group of processors called Thuban, or their 45nm hexacores.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

15+ Year Old Account

I'm more a fan of Gigabyte motherboards and the Western Digital Caviar Black line of hard drives, but that's just personal preference. Anyway, yeah, either setup that None linked would be a very capable machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    I'm more a fan of Gigabyte motherboards and the Western Digital Caviar Black line of hard drives, but that's just personal preference. Anyway, yeah, either setup that None linked would be a very capable machine.
    640gb Caviar Black uses two 320gb platters and probably won't have a noticable difference in speed unless benchmarking, but Samsung, Seagate, and Western Digital are all good brands. Personal preference honestly, but Samsung is technically the fastest right now (140mb read on the 1tb Spinpoint F3). As for Asrock, it's just an extension of Asus, built in the same factories with a different name, but I like Gigabyte too.

The 500gb Caviar blues use 250gb platters if I remember right, that'd be considerably slower than a single Seagate or Samsung 500gb platter. Western Digital only uses 500gb platters on their 1tb+ I think; it's not worth mentioning Hitachi, they're terrible.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

15+ Year Old Account

My 1TB Caviar Black hasn't lacked for performance at all.

In any case, I wasn't trying to step on your toes for your suggestions. I was just pointing out some other valid brands (though ones I happen to be partial to, lol).

Fanboy!

But more seriously - All I was looking for was a motherboard with a good name and a large amount of features for the best price, in both cases Asrock had the features of a $200 - 250 board for a very good deal, though the 890GX chipset isn't exactly top of the line, it has equal or better overclocking than some of the more expensive 790 chipsets. $10 more than the Asrock AM3 motherboard and he could get a Gigabyte 890GX-UD3 but it only has one PCI Express slot.

*Stomps on toes*

15+ Year Old Account

It's true. I admit my fanyboyism. I'll go to the corner and nurse my toes now. :P