Bioware Games, new MMO? (Also Bizzaaro)

I created this thread because I wanted to see the number who enjoy their games like I have (mass effect 1/2, dragon age, kotor, baldur's gate) but mostly to see what people think about their new mmo coming up. Also if anyone is involved in the Bioware bazaar as well people could post links and give some referal clicks. Mine is http://social.bioware.com/brc/457891 (these just redirect to a random Bioware page, visiting them is just for some community giveaway they're doing)

Anyways if you don't know Bioware, they are known for their good rpgs. While the combat may not always be fleshed out they always have a great story in each of their games. Bioware is currently teaming up with Lucas Arts and working on a new mmo based in the star wars universe. If you're a star wars fan you probably already would like it, but I think Bioware teaming up with them makes it even more worthwhile. One thing Bioware promises about the new mmo swtor (star wars: the old republic) is a game experience with a rich "story" element. This is a really interesting idea for an mmo. One thing that is hard to implement is a changing world when you have thousands of players running around in the same universe. Obviously we even saw this in wow how blizzard aimed to improve that this expansion, using tricks like phasing, and of course the traditional instanced zones or "dungeons".

This sounds like it could make or break the mmo. I think creating an evolving world with a unique story line to your character would be amazing for an mmo, if it is done right. But it will take a lot of work on Bioware's part to perfect something like that. While the "story" is their major hype they seem to at least be trying something other than traditional mmo characteristics for the game. Most predominantly is not using the "holy trinity" of mmo gaming (aka you're either a tank, dps, or healer) and are doing an interesting combat system which currently looks like it will add cover mechanics and and other things into the mix.

Speaking of hype, Electronics Arts, the company who owns Bioware, has said that Swtor will the largest video game project in history. I can believe it too. They have nearly a year left in development and they have stated things such as the amount of voice actors (over 1 thousand) and the lines of script involved (equal to 7 kotor rpgs or something) a number of times. I'm pretty excited for this game, but I just wanted to hear some other peoples opinions. Do you think it will be possible for them to incorporate a personal story and character experience in an mmo? Do you think they'll be able to create a mmo play-style that doesn't use the "holy trinity", but also works well? Will this mmo be the wow killer? Actually just kidding about that last question, let's not start that bullshit. If anyone wants to know more the site is http://www.swtor.com

Re: Bioware Games, new MMO? (Also Bizzaaro)

Wow no one wants to talk about this game!

15+ Year Old Account

I think there is a thread for this already.

But yeah, I can't wait for it.
    Do you think they'll be able to create a mmo play-style that doesn't use the "holy trinity", but also works well?
    Are they going for that? I havn't been up to date with it lately. But, one thing that worries me is that Bioware isn't always strong on gameplay. In a MMO gameplay is 90% of what matters.

Will this mmo be the wow killer?
    I'm glad you said JK, or I was going to go on a rant x_x

I played through dragon age 3 times, Mass Effect 1 I played through twice, mass effect 2 I played through 2 and a half times so far, I think I played through Day of the Tentacle 2 or 3 times aswell. Curious to see if they can pull off an MMO though.

love bioware's games though I only know their older ones (kotor, baldurs gate, nwn2).
    the old republic will be huge. bioware's got the experience and have shown time and again that they can create fantastic rpgs (the best ones I've played, especially the ones Obsidian developed).
    I can see easily how TOR might steal 1-2 million players from WoW if not more.
    I personally hate the style of the game. male human faces look too manga for me. and the decision to orientate the style more towards the movies (especially troopers looking like stormtroopers) irritate me quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by seam
    Are they going for that? I havn't been up to date with it lately. But, one thing that worries me is that Bioware isn't always strong on gameplay. In a MMO gameplay is 90% of what matters.
    They have said that they have really no plans on having a class that is solely dedicated to healing during fights so yea that sort of does away with the concept of healers, however I guess that doesn't mean there won't be any tank-like people who try to take the hits, and of course everyone should be "dps" when they deal damage.

Gameplay is a big part but it's not 90%. You need something to keep you interested beyond gameplay, I mean look at how many mmos have the exact same gameplay as wow but just don't do well at all. WoW was great when created and was and refined the old mmo styles from other games, but its major popularity has set back the mmo genre. Most people just try to copy its gameplay instead of trying to do something new or better. I'm just hoping Bioware tries something new.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Malediction

Gameplay is a big part but it's not 90%. You need something to keep you interested beyond gameplay, I mean look at how many mmos have the exact same gameplay as wow but just don't do well at all.
    Gameplay is more than the general idea, which all mmo's follow. Questing, combat, raiding, pvping. All mmo's do those, and almost exactly the same. But there is more to gameplay than that.

Not impressed unfortunately. Despite the fact I am holding Bioware as the best game production company.

I played their Neverwinter Nights game for like 7 years (and still play). It is the best game ever for me and I even started creating/modyfying my own gaming worlds about 2 years ago.

Unfortunately they have shyed away from multiplayer totally...with games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. They have left this part of their community totally in the backwater.

Now with making a "real MMO" I dont think that is going to be interesting to me. Especially as this looks nothing short of WoW with lazer swords.

It is a shame that a game that is not all that good (WoW) has come to define the whole genre.