Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadow Priests in heroics

So, I decided to finally start farming badges on my priest via heroics.
    My priest isn't geared, since she is just an alt.

But I did start to wonder, what does a spriest do in heroics?
    Note that I did read the spriest sticky, which was very helpful in regards to learning the rotation for say, a boss fight.

On my hunter, I would usually just AoE everything, keeping up MD on the tank and everything is fine.

But since I am new to playing a priest, I thought i'd ask you guys.
    Is it worth using Mind Sear on packs of three mobs? Which I find, is the most common number of mobs in heroics.
    Do I just DoT everything?
    Or do I start out a proper rotation on a mob, which generally only has 63k hp, so is dead pretty quick.

Any help would be appreciated.
    If there is a thread that I missed on this, feel free to redirect me there.

Re: Shadow Priests in heroics

MS on 4+ mob packs, Multi-dot everything else.

You won't have time to actually dot anything if the people you're running with is already overgeared. Mobs usually die before the first tick.
    Goozelina The Light of Dawn, Spaced Invaders.
    Twisting Nether EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanter
    You won't have time to actually dot anything if the people you're running with is already overgeared. Mobs usually die before the first tick.
    Over-exaggeration. Mobs do not die in two seconds.

As Spriest, just do this:

3 or less mobs:

Put Vampiric Touch on all of them, and SW:Pain on the one you're going to Mind Flay/Mind Blast.

4 or more mobs:

Mind Sear.

Bosses:

Normal rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    ^ Yeah, that.

Honestly if you're trying to gear up, then don't do it as Shadow. Get Shadow gear, but do them as Discipline and queue as a healer. It will speed up how fast you're getting badges by a large margin. If you really don't want to do that, then yeah, see above.

Quote Originally Posted by harky

Honestly if you're trying to gear up, then don't do it as Shadow. Get Shadow gear, but do them as Discipline and queue as a healer. It will speed up how fast you're getting badges by a large margin. If you really don't want to do that, then yeah, see above.
    yup this, those 11 min ques as dps versus like 2-3 min(or even less) as a healer.Disc/holy healing is easy in heroics. just bubble and spam flash heal...just respec do eet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zalectrial
    But I did start to wonder, what does a spriest do in heroics?
    We swap to our dual-spec healing talents, and heal :-)

I've actually stopped running heroics on my priest in disc spec. Even though disc is my MS, it gets tediously boring to dps between throwing out a shield/PoM... I'd rather be involved and make things die! I wonder if an ICC-geared spriest could keep up a well-geared group with VE and the occasional shield...

10+ Year Old Account

Que as a healer, Shield tank, then DPS. Finish Heroic faster.

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    Close...

3 or less you VT everything and then based on how quick they are being killed you choose to MS or use some single target damage spells. I can't really tell you a rule... but basically if they are dying very quickly MS is usually the go, if they are taking awhile you can get up a DP, SW:P something and single it down.

4 or more you are going to use MS, but while they are being gathered you can easily get VT on most of them if not all. They won't all be in MS range immediately, the tank needs to get a bit of threat to ensure you don't pull something outside of the AoE... VT as quickly and numerous as possible then launch into MS spam.

I stopped playing as shadow when I do heroics, faster to join as healer and I can still do 2.5-3k dps with my disc/holy spec
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...mane&cn=Kotone
    spirit tap provides mana reg, and the groups I join usually loves when its faster because I dps and heal at the same time(just spam glyphed holy nova).

Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoctor Win'cape
    Hehe, I think I have gotten one instance as DPS while queueing as both so far. I spent the first half of it healing as Discipline before the pallie healer yelled at me
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Bad people! Telling me to swap out and heal =p

I do have a Holy Secondary spec atm, but i'm even more clueless to healing than I am to playing Shadow.

I did notice something weird with queue times though. My Spriest will queue and she'll be in a heroic within a minute or two.
    On the other hand, my hunter, same faction, same server, will have to wait the whole 10-15 minutes >_>
    Maybe worse geared players have faster queue times? =/
    I didn't notice this on my old server if they do...

But, you have cleared things up for me.
    I wasn't entirely sure on what to do. My damage output was questionable =p

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Close...

3 or less you VT everything and then based on how quick they are being killed you choose to MS or use some single target damage spells. I can't really tell you a rule... but basically if they are dying very quickly MS is usually the go, if they are taking awhile you can get up a DP, SW:P something and single it down.

4 or more you are going to use MS, but while they are being gathered you can easily get VT on most of them if not all. They won't all be in MS range immediately, the tank needs to get a bit of threat to ensure you don't pull something outside of the AoE... VT as quickly and numerous as possible then launch into MS spam.
    4+ Mobs MS, Multi-Dot everything else is a generalization assuming that you'd actually want to queue as a dps and that you do not really care about your dps in a heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalectrial
    Bad people! Telling me to swap out and heal =p

I do have a Holy Secondary spec atm, but i'm even more clueless to healing than I am to playing Shadow.

I did notice something weird with queue times though. My Spriest will queue and she'll be in a heroic within a minute or two.
    On the other hand, my hunter, same faction, same server, will have to wait the whole 10-15 minutes >_>
    Maybe worse geared players have faster queue times? =/
    I didn't notice this on my old server if they do...

But, you have cleared things up for me.
    I wasn't entirely sure on what to do. My damage output was questionable =p
    Well obviously if you suck at healing then don't do it, but seriously, I usually heal as shadow spec, since ppl these days don't need much healing, and you can get done faster if you help dps. Also I sometimes pop on a glyph of holy nova in my disc spec, then shield the tank/yourself and spam Holy Nova - can't tell you how many times I've been top dps while healing doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharmabhum
    I've actually stopped running heroics on my priest in disc spec. Even though disc is my MS, it gets tediously boring to dps between throwing out a shield/PoM... I'd rather be involved and make things die! I wonder if an ICC-geared spriest could keep up a well-geared group with VE and the occasional shield...
    With geared tanks and intelligent dps you wont even have to use pw:s.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoctor Win'cape
    Same here, i never dps in heroic, just going disc and chill trough it,

Easily, do this all the time on my priest, 10 man only geared. Just shield, PoM and dps.

Deleted

The thing I do is to spam VT on all of the mobs (if I can I usually pop the nevermelting ice crystal trinket) while the tank grabs the mobs (and one devouring plague). Maybe pre-cast fade before the pull. When you start getting a lot of haste this is very useful, also if you are in a group with people who's slacking or doing low dps or in an instance with relatively strong mobs (hp-wise) it's even better.
    If you have the tier 9 set bonus (2) or tier 10 set (2) this becomes even more beneficial. I wouldn't suggest that you spam mind sear right away because you'll more likely over aggro, and you're less mobile if you have a tank who's mass pulling.
    When I am fighting against 2 mobs (with relatively big hp-bar) I usually dot them both up and keep switching between them to keep up sw:P.

Yes, its doable.

I tried it 1st with our guilds MT so that the group wouldnt fail if it wasnt enough.. that was too easy, so now i frequently start a HC (if im bored enough to do one) then if the tank isnt terribly geared, i switch back to shadow and nuke away.

Bosses are much easier to heal as shadow than trash btw, trash hurts more :/