Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Rage Normalization in Cataclysm

Rage Normalization in Cataclysm
    Originally Posted by Bornakk (Blue Tracker)
    We are going to take the opportunity in Cataclysm to try and fix some of the problems with the Rage mechanic for both warriors and druids. Some of these problems include:

• Warriors/druids in the lowest levels of gear can be Rage-starved.
    • Warriors/druids in the highest levels of gear no longer have to manage their Rage when it becomes infinite.
    • Warrior/druid tanks lose Rage income as they improve their gear and take less damage.
    • The gameplay of warrior and druid tanks loses a lot of depth when massive boss hits means never having to manage Rage.
    • Heroic Strike and Maul are effective, but tedious abilities for using up extra Rage.
    • In general, warriors and druids don’t have enough control over their Rage.

To resolve these issues, Rage will be normalized in Cataclysm. This will make the Rage gained by characters more consistent and avoid drastic differences between low-end and high-end gear.

The concept of normalized Rage may leave a negative impression on some veteran players, as we tried it once before in The Burning Crusade and it wasn't successful, resulting in them feeling weakened. However, we think that the concept is still sound -- it was just that the previous implementation didn't balance the values correctly, leading to players being Rage-starved. That is not the goal. As part of the change, we want to give warriors and druids a lot of ways to control their rage, so even in the worst-case scenarios they won’t feel like they lack the resource to do their job.

Here are some of the ways the Rage mechanic will change in Cataclysm:

1) Rage is no longer generated based on damage done by auto-attacks. Instead, each auto-attack provides a set amount of Rage, and off-hand weapons will generate 50% of the Rage main hands do. This amount is based on a constant formula which factors in the base swing speed of the weapon. This means the Rage gained should be averaged out between fast and slow weapons. The constant formula also gives us the ability to easily increase the rage gained if it feels too low (or reduce it if is too high). We are also implementing the following mechanics, which will still allow rage to improve to some extent as you improve gear:

• If the attack is a critical strike, it will generate 200% Rage.
    • Haste will accelerate swing times to generate Rage faster.

2) Rage from damage taken will no longer be based on a standard creature of the character’s level, but instead will based on the health of the warrior or druid. Again, there is a constant that is multiplied by the rage generated in order to allow for fine-tuning. This calculation ignores all damage reduction from armor, absorption, avoidance, block, or similar mechanics, so improving your gear will not reduce Rage gained.

3) We will provide warriors and druids with more instant sources of rage. For example, the warrior shouts are changing to work more like the death knight ability Horn of Winter. Instead of Battle Shout consuming Rage, it will generate Rage but have a short cooldown. Both classes will have additional methods to generate Rage in an emergency or bleed off Rage when they have too much.

4) All “on next swing” attacks in Cataclysm are being removed. Heroic Strike and Maul will be instant swings that cost a variable amount of Rage. For example, imagine Heroic Strike costs between 10 and 30 Rage. You must have at least 10 Rage to use the attack, but it will consume all available Rage up to a maximum of 30. Any Rage consumed above the minimum will cause the ability to hit harder, and in some cases much harder. We will tune the ability so that it’s generally not a good idea to hit it when you have low Rage (unless everything else is somehow on cooldown) but becomes a more attractive button the higher your Rage.

We understand this change may be scary for many players, but keep in mind that the constants in the formulas for gaining Rage will give us the ability to make quick adjustments if we feel Rage generation is too low. Our goal is for each character's Rage to not be always high or always low, but rather a resource that needs to be managed properly by the player.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Rage Normalization in Cataclysm

I like this
    Forgiveness is between them and god, it's my job to arrange the meeting...

They failed in TBC because it was mid content, so ppl went from beeing 100 rage 24/7 to having to worry about it when you were competing for raid spots and such, now they will add it at the start of the expansion so no one would cry about it(gear won't be so good, everyone will get used to it), they might aswell make it yellow and call it energy.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Sounds interesting, can't wait to see how it's implemented
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

Sounds like some decent changes coming which will make raiding interesting.

What about cleave though? they want to remove all on next trike attacks, will it have the same mechanic as HS and Maul?
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

Deleted

cant wait to see how it will be sounds pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by phantom

What about cleave though? they want to remove all on next trike attacks, will it have the same mechanic as HS and Maul?
    Most likely it will be like Swipe.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom

I sure hope so, cleave is a nice tool, but the fact that it cancels if you switch targets combined with having to wait for the swing to go off can be a real pain sometimes.

So they're turning Heroic Strike into Execute, basically?

My Warrior approves

This does look like a good way of implementing this, but as a druid i will have to retrain my hand - i'm so used to tapping my 'Z' button (maul) with my thumb, constantly, while i use other buttons, that i find myself accidently doing it on my pally tank as well :P

Also, it will be odd to see 'Melee' on my damage done reports.

"It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."

I like it! Atlast my index finger can rest from scrolling HS!
    |----------------------------ART----------------------------|

10+ Year Old Account

interesting the shouts are turning into horn of winter for warriors i like it and nice on the heroic strike cleave the next on swing thing was very akward to say the least.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Making heroic strike actually do heroic (possibly even epic) damage. F'ing sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by rat
    If they do, I hope they fix execute
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

Quote Originally Posted by rat
    That's exactly what I took away from that last statement too. So that makes me wonder if/what they are planning for Execute...

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Sounds really cool.

Im not really Happy with this, I love the way Heroic Strike and Cleave work right now. It's one of my favorite things about a warrior (next to charge probably).

I don't really like the idea of 10-30 rage abilities either but that's probably because of the way they nerfed the fun out of Execute (which no longer executes but just slaps you for some damage, as to where Kill Shot really is a Kill Shot). However Im just going to wait and see what the Beta brings to make any decisions yet however Im a bit disappointed (but then again, so was I when they announced Titan's Grip and it's not too bad but 1H>2H imo).
    First Rule of MMO's:
    -Those who have accomplished less than you are noobs.
    -Those who have accomplished more than you are no-lifers.

Deleted

I'm liking the sound of an instant cleave/heroic strike.

Saurfang will also approve, however, his cleaves were always instant! ;D

Heroic strike is dead, hooray \o/

Anyone saying that it's fun to spam a move every second without stop is probably braindead cause no person with half a brain could get any enjoyment from performing such a routine action.