Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How valuable hit rating really is?

Hi there. Recently I swapped a few pieces of gear and i landed on the dreadful 262 hit rating (as ally) And now I am wondering ... is it worth it to lose 6 sp to get that 1 hit rating or should I just go with it. What do you think?

Re: How valuable hit rating really is?

1 point of hit rating probably isn't critical. Since you mention sp I'll assume you are elemental and anything over the cap is useless. At least according to the tooltip in game hit rating doesn't go up by steps so you probably have a.01% chance to miss or something really low like that.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...re&cn=Ontamiya
    Here is my armory ... 9.99% chance to hit.

When you're dealing with such a low hit deference, 1 hit point etc., it comes down to how much dps you lose when rng hates you and you miss with that FS or that EM+LvB,
    How much are you willing to risk?
    9.99% hit, I'd say the risk is worth it (or at least not worth the losses of getting to 10)
    8.99% hit is a different story, imo
    My guild <Rollin Deep> - See one of these guys? Run. Else you will die.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

I have actually missed with FS when I was at 262. I would absolutely recommend you lose 6sp to gain that 1 point in hit. Your entire rotation is thrown off if you miss a FS.

Keep a back-up piece with hit handy in case you can't get a Draenei. I play an Afflic Lock, and so your FS situation is not dissimilar to the disastrous scenario in which I miss a Haunt. It throws off your rotation/prio system for quite a while, big DPS loss... and therefore, except where HUGE gains would be had by going for a much higher ilvl piece, not worth the risk imo.

What if you missed TWO FS's, back to back, for example? (Or, in my case, two Haunts.) Horrible. Take the loss of 5 or 6 SP you outlined and erase the risk altogether.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorack
    Ally you say?

Don't you have those funky-looking blue hooved octopus-monkeys trotting around your cities?

If you do reliably have a dreani hanging out in your raids, then that last % of hit is moot.
    Umm 263 is hit cap for Ally, your response is useless.

Also, if it wasnt bad enough that you didnt know the cap before you posted, you do realize Ally can only be Draenai Shamans right??

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Ally you say?

Don't you have those funky-looking blue hooved octopus-monkeys trotting around your cities?

If you do reliably have a dreani hanging out in your raids, then that last % of hit is moot.
    Alliance shaman is a space goat...

Deleted

Ally you say?

Considering that he is an ally shaman, yes, I do believe he'll have a draenei hanging in his raids

Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik
    Umm 263 is hit cap for Ally, your response is useless.

Also, if it wasnt bad enough that you didnt know the cap before you posted, you do realize Ally can only be Draenai Shamans right??
    Thank you for your graciousness and polite speech in pointing out my lack of knowledge in the alliance mentality towards hit rating.

.01% chance to miss...

that=.0001 chance to miss with a spell
    so 1 in 10k spells will miss.
    granted this isnt astronomically low probabilities, personally i would take the chance.
    chances are you wont see a miss ever. RNG is RNG but .0001 is low enough that i would not give a damn

lol 6/10, well-crafted troll

"your a alli ele shammi n u lak hit? just git a draynay in ur raid lol noob dats 1 purcet hit l2play"
    /popcorn

Thank you for your graciousness and polite speech in pointing out my lack of knowledge in the alliance mentality towards hit rating.
    Then don't post if you don't know what your talking about.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by pcx226
    .01% chance to miss...

that=.0001 chance to miss with a spell
    granted this isnt astronomically low probabilities, personally i would take the chance.
    chances are you wont see a miss ever. RNG is RNG but .0001 is low enough that i would not give a damn
    fixed your error

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Elanale
    Keep a back-up piece with hit handy in case you can't get a Draenei
    considering he linked his armory and that his armory says he is a draenei .... I think he will be ok finding one

On average, you'll do more DPS just ignoring that last point. But personally, I just find it annoying to be under any sort of cap (hit cap, expertise cap), so I'll always gem for it regardless of whether it's technically top DPS. It's not like you'll notice anyway.. it's a matter of single digit DPS, maybe even less. But you certainly will notice that one time that you miss a spell (if it ever ends up happening) and you'll likely be annoyed by it, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelgo
    fixed your error
    oops hit my 0 button too hard :P
    fixed OP

.01% chance to miss...

that=.00001 chance to miss with a spell
    The problem with not giving a damn about that amount of hit is you can still miss with a spell when you need it most or it's a critical part in a rotation. Some classes will suffer more from a certain spell miss than others.
    Pallys for instance add a few seconds to their long ramp-up if they miss a white swing (not devestating but a loss of dps all the same)

It comes down to personal preference and the risk you're willing to take

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamyyl
    The problem with not giving a damn about that amount of hit is you can still miss with a spell when you need it most or it's a critical part in a rotation. Some classes will suffer more from a certain spell miss than others.
    Pallys for instance add a few seconds to their long ramp-up if they miss a white swing (not devestating but a loss of dps all the same)

It comes down to personal preference and the risk you're willing to take
    i realize this
    all i'm saying is 1 miss in 10k spells seems reasonable to me. the amount of bad luck required to miss is pretty insane.
    u cast what maybe a few hundred spells in a boss fight? looking at some logs through out an entire night of raiding, our ele shaman cast around 4k spells total.

hell when i used to MT i was 1 point shy of the def cap .01% chance to be crit didnt bother me. ive looked at my logs to make sure that if i died it was not due to a crit. for the 4 months of me tanking uld+toc there was never a time where i died to a crit.

i realize this
    all i'm saying is 1 miss in 10k spells seems reasonable to me. the amount of bad luck required to miss is pretty insane.
    u cast what maybe a few hundred spells in a boss fight? looking at some logs through out an entire night of raiding, our ele shaman cast around 4k spells total.

hell when i used to MT i was 1 point shy of the def cap .01% chance to be crit didnt bother me. ive looked at my logs to make sure that if i died it was not due to a crit. for the 4 months of me tanking uld+toc there was never a time where i died to a crit.
    The problem with this doesn't lie that it may happen once, but twice in a row, making it a huge dpsloss. The chances of that happening are veeeeeery low but it's still a possiblity. What if that wipe of some HC mode in ICC was 1% away of being a kill? ;P Then it could be damn annoying. Just my opinion but: get the last bit of hit, you'll be spared from a lot of swearing, at least during raids.