Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Low Framerate - Help!

I have one more question since weve come to a "shes too old" resolution, how much money am I looking at saving

A) buying a computer

B) building it completely

C) dumpster diving

As I said I made out pretty well with C recently, adding a stick of ram/PSU/video card to it. And I mean buying an old/reused computer online.

That being said I understand I become limited to whatever mobo I have in terms of ram and cpu slot. Basically I have replaced PSU/CPUs/ram/video/HS...but I have never built a whole computer. I have never installed the motherboard to the case...which scares me because I understand I miss one ground or something is touching and the whole thing literally goes to flames. I am also afraid ill mess up parts and end up with a mobo that cant use the ram or some crap.

Also then if I do completely build it, I will have to pay bs amounts of money for windows.

Building a decent computer costs about $800 and windows only costs about $100 now, but $100 copies are bound to your motherboard. (Microsoft is pretty cool with changing license if your motherboard is replaced)

Buying a prebuilt will probably cost about $200 - 600 more to get a comparable computer that you build yourself.

I think Cilraaz said this but if he didn't I hope he doesn't stomp on my toes: Building a computer is like adult lego, it's REALLY not hard at all and there is plenty of help online.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

I get windows with the motherboard? how does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by luck2828
    I get windows with the motherboard? how does that work?
    Oh no, I mean when you buy a $100 OEM license the license becomes bound to your motherboard when it's activated, meaning it can't be activated on any other motherboard. There are obviously other ways of obtaining Windows as well.

CPU + Motherboard combo: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX + AMD Phenom II x4 955
    GPU + PSU: XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX + Corsair 650TX
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws CAS7 2x2gb
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb
    Case: Antec 300 Illusion

Total without windows: $793.93

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754 $99.99

That computer is pretty good for the price and it comes with two free games, you can easily cut back to $600 but the difference between a $600 computer and an $800 computer is quite huge.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

I would be able to reuse my HD.

I would at the start, be able to use my video card for awhile.

PSU...is 5 years too old? My current one is a 450W 48amp dell. Would this system need 650 watts? I guess I dont really want an old PSU tho...

I dont really know AMDs, but then again I dont know intel chips either anymore(god I remember when 3.0Ghz was a big deal). I wouldnt be getting this computer I would say for 5 months at least, think the linked pc would still be good or I should, in 5month, go searching again?

In 5 months that computer will almost definitely have dropped in price. It'll definitely perform well in WoW and other games. The power supply is probably pretty close to retiring, I wouldn't trust putting any new components on it. In 5 months it's hard to say where that build will be, it'll still perform well but there might be more competition. You should definitely come back for assistance when you're about to build I think :P

Quote Originally Posted by None
    Oh no, I mean when you buy a $100 OEM license the license becomes bound to your motherboard when it's activated, meaning it can't be activated on any other motherboard. There are obviously other ways of obtaining Windows as well.
    I wouldn't bother with the other ways. You can't update it, and considering the rate of new exploits popping up 'obtaining' unpatchable version of OS is pretty f'ing stupid after spending already $1k on the hardware. It's a lot of money, but it will save you from a ton of headache later.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.