Running WOW on Linux

i am having lots of problems with windows i am switching to Linux, can i run wow in this OS?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Running WOW on Linux

Absolutely. I've leveled my toon and raided pretty much everything in the last 2 years all in Linux. It's stable, there's a native Vent client, if you have Nvidia it's even better.

Hit me up if you need help.

In my experience, Linux is very tempermental. It could work perfectly on one machine, but constantly crash and fail on another similar one.

I'd say go for Mac, it's safer and more stable, unless you are quite experienced with Linux.

Why are you changing to linux?

Edit: I mean, what problems do you have with Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Octanek
    In my experience, Linux is very tempermental. It could work perfectly on one machine, but constantly crash and fail on another similar one.

I'd say go for Mac, it's safer and more stable, unless you are quite experienced with Linux.
    Are you kidding Mac are the worst... someone hacked a MAc a in 5 mins while windows took 20 minutes there was a article about it toon on pcworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by pallypower
    Are you kidding Mac are the worst... someone hacked a MAc a in 5 mins while windows took 20 minutes there was a article about it toon on pcworld.com
    I personally use Windows, but that's ignoring what he said. He said Mac's are safer and I'd agree. Why? Because most hackers don't care about OSX because there's such a small user base by comparison. There's no question it's safer to use a Mac, but is it more secure? No.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

Deleted

Please don't turn this into another OS war thread.
    The poster asked whether he can run WoW on Linux, post answers to that question or not at all.

On topic:
    Yes, it's possible.
    Start here:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=World+of+warcraft+Linux
    Or here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

10+ Year Old Account

There's really not a lot to running WoW in Linux. I've done it for years w/o any issues on several diff versions and several diff computers. At least three of my friends all play on Linux as well w/o any issues. Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse all work just the same.

I'm wondering what specifically Octanek is referring to or if he has any recent facts to back his claims?

My 64 bit Linux OS runs WoW just as good if not better in some cases as my 64bit Win 7 does.

Wine is not an emulator people, it doesn't take any more resources to run programs then Windows does.

One thing to consider is what your video card is. Nvidia is going to do MUCH better than ATI for Linux in general. The drivers share 95% of the code that the windows ones do. There's a really good Nvidia interface for Linux as well.

It's possible with ATI, just not quite as good.

Anyway, essentially it's as simple as getting the latest video drivers, copying your World of Warcraft folder to your Linux partition. (Copy it to an external and then back to your drive again if that's not an option.)

Use any version of wine that's been released within the last 1.5 years

in your wtf.conf file add the line SET gxAPI "OpenGL"

I recommend playing in Windowed mode.

Go here if you need an excellent native vent client http://www.mangler.org/

And reference this site for some more info http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=17421
    The main post there is a little over-done and most of it is unnecessary, but helpful I guess if you need it.

Send me a PM if you need more help.

If you are going to run Wow in Linux you will have to use a program called WINE (which stands for something funny as: Wine Is Not an Emulator) and if you are not very used to doing things in terminal / Command prompt i wouldn't reccommend this.

10+ Year Old Account

Describe to me the process that involves having to use the terminal in order to install or use WINE please? Because apparently it's something I've missed over the years and you know something I don't.

You are correct on one thing- WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator... good job.

15+ Year Old Account

I've always installed WINE via terminal windows, but that's because I prefer a terminal window over a GUI.

Ubuntu based distros are probably the most user friendly, try Crunchbang linux if you're after something light. Once its installed and set up as well as updated (windows/super+u in crunchbang), open up a terminal (windows/super+t in crunchbang) and type 'sudo apt-get install wine envyng-core'. Envy-NG is a script for getting a propietary NV or ATI driver up and running. Type 'sudo envyng -t' and choose your driver, restart your xserver.

Now just navigate to your wow folder, right click, open with wine (after changing gxAPI from D3D to OpenGL in config.wtf of course, although latest version of wine I tested, 1.4.3, handles d3d9ex quite fine). You're probably looking at 10-20% performance dip, a little more in stressful areas like dalaran or badly designed places like that mini wintergrasp bg.