Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would like another perspective on this (low framerate issue)

First things first, system specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom Quad-core 9850 (2.51GHz)
    Video: Raedeon HD 4850, 1gb DDR5 1920x1200
    RAM: 6GB DDR2-800mhz
    ---------------------------

I've deleted my wtf/config folders and tested to see if that improved framerate - no change. Tried lowering all the settings to minimum - no change.

I should be able to run wow with no issues whatsoever, but in 25m raids, my fps is dropping to around 13-14. While I have become somewhat accustomed to this fps standard, it's pretty horrible and can't help thinking I should be getting more out of my system.

I will jump through any hoops need-be if you guys think it'll help.

I run wow @ 1920x1200 ultra settings 4xMultisampling. Haven't tried any wtf edits yet. Don't really care to unless it's a last resort. Would appreciate any info someone could give me on this!

Any other info you need/I forgot, please just post and I'll get it for you.

Thanks.
    “Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.”
    Please check out My Mixes

Re: Would like another perspective on this (low framerate issue)

4850, i7 920 at 3.6, 1680x1050, max settings, AA and shadows on lowest, 60 FPS in raids.

Turn down your settings and update your drivers.

15+ Year Old Account

Make sure in your Catalyst Control Center, 3D section, that AA/AF are set to "Use application settings" and Anti-Aliasing mode is set to "Multi-sample AA". Lower your multisampling to 2X or 1X. If that doesn't help, you may have to drop your resolution a bit.

Thank guys, I'll definately give that a shot when I get home (at work currently). I'm fairly sure it's not the resolution as I've dropped it to a lower rez before and not experienced a gain at all; I'll definately go through CCC later though.

Thank again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Make sure in your Catalyst Control Center, 3D section, that AA/AF are set to "Use application settings" and Anti-Aliasing mode is set to "Multi-sample AA". Lower your multisampling to 2X or 1X. If that doesn't help, you may have to drop your resolution a bit.
    Edited the CCC options, and it *seems* smoother. Will post again monday (my 25m raid night (on sindragosa)) and post results. Thanks again for the help!

Tried everything suggested so far - no luck. Asked a guildie in vent what his opinions were. Went through everything from windowed mode, dropping game settings to low and running in 800x600 - NO fps change. It seems no matter what I do, my fps doesn't increase or decrase no matter how I play with settings.

Anyone here have any other ideas as to what might be going on? My guildie suggested it might not be running in pci-e x16, but I don't think that's the case.

Open to any other suggestions!

How many addons are you using? That can have an effect on frames, also are you using two monitors? If so turn off the 2nd one while you raid, also run the game in full screen mode if you aren't already and as others have mentioned graphics driver update.

My PC is pretty good, runs most things maxxed out fairly well, but in raids in sometimes takes a hit in frames on the big fights with lots going on.

EDIT:
    Just read your latest post, that is strange, tried running a wow repair, does this problem happen on other games?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfiah
    How many addons are you using? That can have an effect on frames, also are you using two monitors? If so turn off the 2nd one while you raid, also run the game in full screen mode if you aren't already and as others have mentioned graphics driver update.

My PC is pretty good, runs most things maxxed out fairly well, but in raids in sometimes takes a hit in frames on the big fights with lots going on.

EDIT:
    Just read your latest post, that is strange, tried running a wow repair, does this problem happen on other games?
    I run quite a few addons, however disabling them and tweaking settings again produces no changes. I've run wow repair multiple times but again to no avail. I don't really play anything else than WoW atm except for a little UT2k4 (love that game) where everything runs fine.

I actually consider myself pretty good with computers in general, but this has baffled me from the start - just doesn't make sense. I might go home and check my bios settings to make sure everything's normal but I haven't even attempted to OC anything...

EDIT: Only running 1 monitor. Used to run dual 1440 x 900's but decided I just wanted somethng bigger.

EDIT x2: 25m Sindragosa last night - constantly sitting around 12-14 fps.

Yeah I would check the BIOS, also have you recently updated your BIOS and/or motherboard drivers?

Just updated mine last night which reminded me

I have to say I don't envy you, a very strange problem ???
    Potentially dodgy card? How long have you had it?
    I'm currently using a GTX285, which is pretty comparable to yours I think.

Does your mobo have 2 PCIx16 express slots? If it does try putting the card in the other slot.

Yeah I would check the BIOS, also have you recently updated your BIOS and/or motherboard drivers?

Just updated mine last night which reminded me

I have to say I don't envy you, a very strange problem ???
    Potentially dodgy card? How long have you had it?
    I'm currently using a GTX285, which is pretty comparable to yours I think.

Does your mobo have 2 PCIx16 express slots? If it does try putting the card in the other slot.
    Have not updated the bios as I don't have a floppy drive. Might be a bad card, but it plays other games with no issue so i don't know.

my mobo actually has THREE pci-ex16 2.0 slots I could try another slot, and barring nothing is amiss in my bios that's where I'll start.

(at work right now and can't access my pc) but if you have any other ideas, please toss 'em my way.

Also, interestingly enough, running fraps with wow (recording) almost freezes the video completely, then after running for a few minutes works seamlessly.

Have not updated the bios as I don't have a floppy drive.
    Most of the new ones are updated my either a USB drive or a CD, you may have a similar board to mine, I also have 3 slots, that suggests its fairly new and that you could update via USB or CD.

Fraps is a frame killer and slows your system down by quite a lot if you're copying to the same drive that you are recording from.

Most of the new ones are updated my either a USB drive or a CD, you may have a similar board to mine, I also have 3 slots, that suggests its fairly new and that you could update via USB or CD.

Fraps is a frame killer and slows your system down by quite a lot if you're copying to the same drive that you are recording from.
    ugg total /facepalm moment. It didn't even occur to me to boot from flash drive >.<

Yes, it does support it and it is fairly new. I don't remember the exact model number as I didn't pick it out - came with my cpu (newegg ftw).

Yeah I know it is, but I was mostly noting the fact that it stops the video completely for about 30 seconds then everything runs at 60fps (i've got it set to record at 40 wtf?) and it does record.

I just thought it interesting to note.

Deleted

Probly not the problem but it has affected a friend of mine..you havnt got the 'maxfps' console command set to somthing like 15 by accident or just a bug/error when installing. could be worth a try

/console maxfps 0

i belive is the command to disable it. anyways goodluck with your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Braggy187
    Probly not the problem but it has affected a friend of mine..you havnt got the 'maxfps' console command set to somthing like 15 by accident or just a bug/error when installing. could be worth a try

/console maxfps 0

i belive is the command to disable it. anyways goodluck with your problem.
    Tried /console maxfps 40 and it's currently set at 100 - still no change. Thank you for the idea though!

@Skyfiah:
    Bios looks normal, but I'd like to do a firmware update as a last resort. Is there anything else you might have thought of?

15+ Year Old Account

Try moving your config.wtf (in the WTF folder inside your WoW folder) to a hold and deleting your cache. Your first login will likely be slow, as the cache rebuilds, but a lot of times either something screwy in the cache or an oddball setting in config.wtf can cause framerate issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Try moving your config.wtf (in the WTF folder inside your WoW folder) to a hold and deleting your cache. Your first login will likely be slow, as the cache rebuilds, but a lot of times either something screwy in the cache or an oddball setting in config.wtf can cause framerate issues.
    I have tried that but to no avail unfortunately. Deleted everything and started over. I also installed new video drivers yesterday in hopes of fixing it, but nothing changed.

Thanks everyone for helping, and I welcome any more ideas if anyone has any!

You mean you did a full system reinstall Scorpid?

If that still did nothing then I would suspect a faulty card?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Try running GPU-Z.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-Z_v0.4.2.html

Post the log here.
    US Blizz Tech Support MVP
    Ressie - Medivh-US

I think he means he wiped his WTF folder and started over.

That being said, formatting and starting from scratch is almost guaranteed to fix the issue, whatever it is. It also will tell you if the problem is hardware based, since if the format DOESN'T fix it, chances are good it's either a BIOS issue or faulty hardware of some kind. Of course, wiping the drive may not be a viable option for you, so... This is one of the reasons I have a working disc image of a clean Windows 7 install (with WoW) on an esata drive. It takes less than an hour to format and restore.

Have you been having framerate issues with any other games, or just WoW? If it's been happening elsewhere, the WoW settings aren't gonna have much to do with it.

No, I wiped my wtf settings and configs. I'd never format for a game lol

Quote Originally Posted by Resa
    Try running GPU-Z.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-Z_v0.4.2.html

Post the log here.
    I will be more than happy to do so when I get back home later ths evening (currently at work).

Quote Originally Posted by Phraun
    I think he means he wiped his WTF folder and started over.

That being said, formatting and starting from scratch is almost guaranteed to fix the issue, whatever it is. It also will tell you if the problem is hardware based, since if the format DOESN'T fix it, chances are good it's either a BIOS issue or faulty hardware of some kind. Of course, wiping the drive may not be a viable option for you, so... This is one of the reasons I have a working disc image of a clean Windows 7 install (with WoW) on an esata drive. It takes less than an hour to format and restore.

Have you been having framerate issues with any other games, or just WoW? If it's been happening elsewhere, the WoW settings aren't gonna have much to do with it.
    Just with wow. I don't have any backups made because it took me awhile to get 7 installed anyways. I bought the upgrade package (smart me) so I had to format + install, then upgrade that installation of windows 7 to the new one. Good times.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll post that log up later tonight with some (hopefully) decisive results.