Thread: "Chakra"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: "Chakra"

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann
    I'm not saying it is locking priests into one spell, but it does narrow the mix down. Instead of freely mixing PoH, CoH , FH, Ren etc as the situation requires, you will be narrowed down a bit. Unless the chakra bonus is very trivial, your single target heals will be pretty bad while in AOE chakra and vice versa. Instead of priests always having access to a wide range of tools at any given moment, you will have have some spells that you are supposed to use, and some you CAN use but which you will suck at. It's a bit like putting a paladin on raid healing. Yes they can do it, but in most situaions it will not be what your raid leader wants.

Some people enjoy playing a class with few choices to make at any given moment. I just imagine that those who play priest do so becuase they enjoy having more different tools available than most classes (druids perhaps excempt).
    Bah, shoulda previewed... Anyway, I will actually have to disagree here. Consider the situation as it is now. In a heavy AOE fight (Bloodqueen), we're severely limited anyway, getting PoM/CoH on CD and filling with Renew/PoH. This Chakra system won't change that at all, because we still won't want to cast Flash Heal, Heal, or Greater Heal because they simply don't serve that purpose. Barring some very bizarre raid-comps, there simply isn't a reason to have a Holy Priest focusing on anything else in that fight because other classes simply do it better. However, imagine the same situation except, damn, this week one of our Holy Pallies can't make it. If it's how it is now, you'll probably have to get a Shaman or Disc Priest to do it, depending on the comp. With Chakras, we ought to be able to fill in that tank healing roll sufficiently to let the other healers focus on what they do best.

Yes, we'll be discouraged from casting certain heals in certain situations because of what Chakra we're currently in, but it's just a penalty, not an inability to cast it. I also don't see it being a huge penalty, probably around 10-15% I'd guess, so if you still need that emergency Flash Heal while you're in AOE Chakra, it'll still serve the job, it just may not be as big, as fast, or as mana efficient. Moreso, I think it adds a lot of room for flavor and skill. That is, a good Holy Priest would then know when he should be in what Chakras and start transitioning to them akin to pre-casting PoH for expected damage spikes, where a bad Holy Priest will go "OMG tank damage" then spam single target heals, then "OMG raid damage" and spam aoe heals. I think it has the potential to be far less constraining now because, well, Flash Heal isn't cast much, not because of the situation, but because it sucks. So sure, we may have a smaller toolbox at any given time, but over the course of a few encounters, we'll probably make use of more spells in more situations.

I'm pretty sure they want us to use the right spells for the situation instead of mindlessly spamming our best healing spell. Chakra does that pretty well, although I can see use not using it all the time though.

This reminds me a bit of the concept they had planned for Shaman/Archmage in Warhammer at one point.
    The Shaman/Archmage in that game is a healer/dps hybrid which has a mechanic called Waaagh! (for the Shaman, at least) that's supposed to let you swap from dps to heals on the fly.
    Currently all it does is let you cast an instant dps spell or heal, if you have the mechanic stacked to 5 (5 heals is one instant dps spell, or vice versa).
    They were going to change it to a sliding scale of 3 points that could swing to two sides. At no points you'd get no benefit to dps or heals. As soon as you'd start casting heal spells the mechanic would swing to that side and boost your heal spells. When stacked all the way to 3 healing benefit, you'd have to use 6 dps spells to go into dps mode.

Anyway... I wonder if Chakra is gonna be a buff with a duration that refreshes itself after every heal from that type or if tossing out a heal from another type is going to reset the entire thing.

You know, it seems like they're trying to "death knight"ify a lot of the classes now that don't have unique UI features (adding the chakra feature to priests, the new soul shard feature to warlocks... warriors already have a few unique features so they didn't need much)
    God; I hate you people.

If Flash Heal become an inefficient spell probably Serendipity will be reworked or replaced by Chakra.

I liked the Burning Crusade healing stile, priests were the only class who could waste mana to heal more and faster, it was more fun to play. But now I like Serendipity, is the only fun talent in the holy tree.

All things in the priest preview seem a trade :-\

-Inner Will instead of Mental Agility, so basically we have to choose between Mental Agility and Inner Fire.

-Chakra instead of Serendipity.

-Shadow Spike instead of Mind Blast (from holy POV)

-Leap of faith instead of Divine Spirit.

Ofc the additions will be wellcomed and LoF is more fun than a boring spirit buff, but I feel that shamans and warlocks have far more things to be excited with this expansion.

If i were to cast Lightwell three times in a row, it should make the lightwell goes and whack that warlock and click itself. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworker
    "Priest used Flash Heal!"
    "What's this? Priest is evolving!"
    "Priest evolved into Flash Healer Priest!"
    This made me laugh. Great job.

I think Festergut is a great example of where Chakra would be a great asset. Dynamic fight +
    (dynamic-playstyle-inducing-talent-for-the-original-dynamic-playstyle-healer) = win!

Edit: Fixed. Even if it isn't true anymore!!!!!! >

You forgot the "Originally-Designed Dynamic Healers" in that equation of win, Lysdexic.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

It will be interesting to see the mechanic and how each of the Chakras works out. I agree with most of the posters here that it will be a nice mechanic but I also see the point the nay-sayers are making. Especially in regards to the Chakra related to renew. Renew is a single spell and our only HoT. If there is a Chakra based on this spell it would seem to really force people to use that spell.

As a caveat to those people who have stated that Chakras will not be a loss only a gain in certain spells, while this is technically true I think people are missing the fact that a lot of players will consider casting spells not currently boosted by their Chakra to be a loss. Talents are only buffs but people still feel like they're hampered when they don't have them because (at least to some effect those talents and Chakras as well) will have to be balanced around the idea of a majority of uptime. Also, while it will be nice to essentially sub-spec tank healer for example, it will still limit spell usage in at least one major way. Depending on how it is implemented. There are two situations as far as I can see to implement this - 1. The first time you cast three spells in a row you gain a Chakra which would provide a temporary buff and you can not switch Chakras until that buff drops. 2. Anytime you cast three spells in a row you gain that Chakra no matter the current state of your Chakra.

Option 1 risks that you end up with the wrong Chakra for the duration. But Option 2 also has a penalty, if you end up needing to cast the same spell (or type of spell) three times in a row would switch you to the other Chakra when you really didn't want to be in it (because potentially you would prefer another Chakra and the time to change back would be wasted). I realize both of these problems could be negated with careful playing but the point is it would have to be specifically thought about in spells which will end up limiting spell selection a least a bit of the time.

I still think this is a good idea and really like the mechanic but it will be interesting to see how it is implemented (as the problems stated above only increase the number of different Chakras available).

Euth, there is one possible outlet for this:
    You gain the buff, let's say it has a duration of 20 seconds. That stays active until you trigger another Chakra (You can only have one type active, for example). So let's say you go "Heal" mode and trigger that, a single Renew wouldn't displace that, but three would drop it and switch you over quite quicklike.

This is not anything Blizzard has said, but this is just my possible solution, seeing it fit both problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Euth, there is one possible outlet for this:
    You gain the buff, let's say it has a duration of 20 seconds. That stays active until you trigger another Chakra (You can only have one type active, for example). So let's say you go "Heal" mode and trigger that, a single Renew wouldn't displace that, but three would drop it and switch you over quite quicklike.

This is not anything Blizzard has said, but this is just my possible solution, seeing it fit both problems.
    That's the second implementation I gave in my example. I still see the possibility of getting the "wrong" Chakra based on situation. As an example of a possible healing strategy (and I realize my problems with are very hypothetical but all discussion of the mechanics is at this point). Let's say you're in Direct Heal Tank Chakra (that is the Chakra based around Heal and related spells) with potentially three tanks. Again, this is completely hypothetical. If you were to say want to renew all three of them with your implementation it would switch you to the "Renew Chakra". Potentially, this could be a good thing, potentially, it could limit your next three Heal spells (I say limit specifically because without the change they would have benefited from the "Heal Chakra"). Now, I realize this is a very contrived example, it was the quickest one I could come up with. And in my example there is a simple way to counter it but my point is that you HAVE to counter it. So in a very strict sense it will limit healing slightly. Another potential example of this would be as a raid healer, if you were in the "Renew Chakra" and 3 people had taken significant damage in raid and you wanted to "Heal" them, you would have to cast "Heal" twice, do some other spell (assuming it would reset the counter) and then "Heal" the last one.

Just something to take into account, it will limit healing and some versatility which I believe was a point of a few of the other posters.

I'm sorry, I misread your second part. Looking back, that is what you said (here was me reading "you can't get a second while the first is up" :-\ )

Anyways. I do see your point, but I'm not overly worried. They're moving away from people dying "OMG THIS GCD!", so ramp up time as a healer may be a factor, but not as limiting as it would be now (re: Resto Druids vs Infest). Plus, you can't forget that you're still part of a team. I want to actually see their implementation in beta, even blue posts describing it word for word in explicit detail would have me second guessing everything.

Yea, it will largely depend on the different numbers each of the spells does and how they work out. But honestly, I can see this becoming a bit like Arcane Mages in "rotation" you have to make sure you don't cast the same spell three times in case you want a certain Chakra. It seems like a really good mechanic, I can just see the change in versatility from all spells all the time to versatility in which Chakra bonus you use and that to some extent controls which spells you focus on (which could potentially be a very bad thing especially if you prefer a healing style which isn't as clear cut as the Chakras).

Honestly, I hope they don't make a Chakra for each spell, I hope they keep them very broad and maybe give a larger leeway while in one Chakra before you switch to another. Like "While in "Heal Chakra" it takes 6 renews to switch to the "Renew Chakra" (again, a probably very bad specific example but my point still stands) which would both allow specialization in terms of what types of spells you use as opposed to which particular spell you use, something I think contributes more to versatility than specific spells. I will also be interested to see if PoM actually gives a "tick" (or whatever you want to call it) towards one Chakra or another.

I like that they've made "jack of all trades, master of none" Priest healing into an on-off switch where we can be a "jack of all trades, master of one when we want to be." But I would rather be casting spells that feel right for the situation versus casting ones that will be larger or "beefier" but not necessarily the best heals to use at that moment.

This is somewhat analogous to our original 4piece bonus. The COH or Penance was available again but more often than not wasn't needed and was wasted.

I feel like we'll be tempted to want to use Chakra only to find that we're wanting to use different spells by the time we've gotten "in the zone" with one heal.

We really have nothing to go by except past raid experience in assessing these new talents. The only fights so far that feel conducive to a "rotation" healingwise are the aura fights (BQL, Sin, Festergut to an extent) and bubble spam on any fight I suppose if you're Disc.

15+ Year Old Account

lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworker
    "Priest evolved into Flash Healer Priest!"
    "Priest used Renew!"
    "Priest used Renew!"
    "Priest used Renew!"
    "Priest evolved into Hot Priest!"

isn't that a nurse? ;o

I mean sure they both heal, but i'm definatly channeling nurse from that pic /giggle