Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gear requirement for random heroic, and is it affected by hierloom gear?

Hi everyone,

I just dinged my 5th 80 yesterday (surprisingly quickly - got the last level in < 1 day ) - my first hordy a Tauren Drood. Since lvl 60 i've been feral bear and loved it. done tonnes of random dungeons and AoE grinding and am very confident about tanking (having benched my pala and DK 80's as i just didnt 'get' tanking with them).

So having dinged 80, i was looking forward to hitting my first heroic as a bear tank.....but random dungeon finder said no Couldn't cue for random heroic, couldnt cue for ANY heroic, or even ToC normal [didnt expect the ICC normals anyway, but at least expected ToC...], as 'I do not meet the gear requirments'.

If anyone cares, my char is 'Promeo' on Doomhammer EU (at work so cant link it). Not badly geared - 4 hierloom pieces (trinket, weapon, chest, shoulders) and the remainder is 155-187 ILvl. I'm sitting on around 21K health in bear form Unbuffed and about 30% dodge [afair].

I then went on a shopping spree (with the limited money i have as the only horde alt so no big money backer) and upgraded some items, but still not good enough.

Question is - is this because of the Hierlooms? Is their Ilvl of 1 being counted towards the gear requirment, and if so, if i replaced them (for instance) with lvl78 cloth caster items in order to get in a queue, then put my normal items back on, would this fix the problem?

I'm trying my best to gear up, but with my main and main alt being clothy (when i've got nearly every cloth drop) and other alts being plate (where again most drops go to me), its been a shock being a dps leather user, where i find my gear (esp dodge / agility gear) being needed by - Rogues (fair enuf), Warriors, Hunters, Caster Droods, Shamans, Palas and DKs. I've only had i think 2 wins on drops since lvl 70, which must be around 20 normal runs or so.

Any suggestions? I could just keep running normals but as stated above, i'm sick of not getting gear. Not established on the horde side, so would struggle to set up a group outside the dungeon finder, and no money to buy anything decent. Started grinding honour, but at 20K and need around 40K for a piece.

Cheers

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

Re: Gear requirement for random heroic, and is it affected by hierloom gear?

I can't answer all you questions but just quickly whenever I have inspected anyone with elitistgroup it shows the heirlooms on a level 80 as being ilevel187, not sure if this is an inbuilt thing or using blizzards own scoring system.

I think the way blizzards scoring system works one item of gear can drag you down, without having time to review your gear you might want to look for one item that is lower than all the rest and upgrade that.

Try and get a guild group together, you can still enter the instances the old fashioned way by going through the portal. You are going to have to make sure you have a thick skin, with the best will in the world you have hit 80 at a lousy point in the expansion cycle, people on the whole are going to overgear you and the major things you will have to contend with is abuse due to your stats and dps pulling aggro off you very easily. Good luck getting geared up.

***just re-read your post a out not being established and struggling to find a group, I think you need to try and find one of those friendly social guilds that may be of assistance to you and you can try and help them a bit in return when you get some more gear.

Deleted

To add with the above statement of 'one low item can bring you down', four heirloom items is four times a gearscore item of 1.

As good as the stats on those things may be at lvl 80, it's still itemlevel 1. :/

Like others are telling, its probably the itemlevel 1 on your heirlooms thats the problem. On my warlock I could used 2 hairlooms and get into all the heroics except the ICC ones. A thing you can do is just go towards the Ah and buy two items, equip it and join the queue. Replace them into hairlooms when inside and you are done.

Valleera please don't say gearscore when ur talking about blizzard things since it's bs.
    And btw I think the req for tanks is a bit higer than the rest since I recently got a gnome war 2 80 purely for tanking and I had to do a few normals before I could do hc's even though I had lvled purely in dungeons and had decent gear.
    Just for the record I had zero heirloom items so that wasn't the problem

I would recommend u to upgrade ur green helm first then look at other things.
    When it comes to the heirloom items I'm not sure but I have seen ppl in the new icc hc's so I don't think they can pull u down that much.

edit(from wowwiki): WotLK Heroics, beside Trial of the Champion, Pit of Saron, Halls of Reflection and The Forge of Souls unlock with an average item level of 160.
    Suppose it could be the heirloom items then

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by scism
    Hi everyone,
    I just dinged my 5th 80 yesterday (surprisingly quickly - got the last level in < 1 day )
    79-80 in less then one day.. OFC, it takes like 2,5 hours or something (rested) Just go to k3, unlock the SoH questline, do it and you'll be 80 in a jiffy. A bit off-topic, I know, just the thing in your post that caught my attention.

About not getting to use the lfg tool seems strange, but as the other post stated, look for your worst items and try to upgrade them. Perhaps buy some BoE epics, there is a iLvL 200 ring with a socket that is quite fair to farm HC's with. And there is some 245 BoE, a bit more expensive, but they'll help you. i guess.

You don't even need to equip them. Hell they don't even need to be items that you can equip. Just buy some cheap spellpower plate or something.

Don't forget all the gear you can get without doing runs though.

The faction rep gear (epic stuff available when exalted) and the stuff you can buy from the vendors at the Argent Tournament.

From the Tournement you can get an epic staff that I think is ok for bear tanking and then a rare neck item and something for your feet too.

The Argent Crusade faction also has epic leather feet at exalted
    Ebon Blade have an epic leather chest at exalted
    Wyrmsrest has an epic leather wrist at exalted (there's also a blue tanking cloak at honored with these guys - but not sure if bear tanks would find that useful or not)

So, running the lvl 80 non-heroics may still be useful even if you don't win loot as it gets your rep up.

There's a gear requirement for those things??

Jesus Christ, when even Blizzard starts agreeing with those "LINK ACHIEVEMENT AND 7K GS OR NO INVITEZ!!!1!11ONE!" retards, I'm starting to lose faith in humanity

same problem couldn't que up for randoms. but switched out my heirloom gear and was able to que.

10+ Year Old Account

Usually your weapon that screws you over, it somehow means a truckload to the dungeon tool that this specific item is ilvl 187 or above.
    All hail Ion Itsgonnacostus, the overlord of hypocracy

Its not the gear you wear, but the gear in your bags. I'm not sure how little money you have but you should be able to find some really really cheap ilvl 187 gear on the AH (basically the blue leather lvl 78 requirement set) I think its pvp oriented which would be perfect for you because of all the stam for tanking.

If you can get yourself in mostly ilvl 187 gear you should be fine to queue for random heroics. And until then, run the random normal dungeons with the rep tabards so you can get some of the rep rewards, and if no one else wants it take any leather spell power gear as well just to have in your bags to help you queue. And like someone else said above, the queue will be longer, but it might be better to queue as a dps until you get a bit better gear for tanking. GL!
    Why do people with closed minds always have open mouths?

A word of warning though - you're likely to be very undergeared in those heroics compared to everyone else. So, you may find you get in there and

1) The DPS will constantly pull mobs off of you - you'll need to use marks and tell them all to follow them
    2) The healer just leaves because as a tank you don't have the health that healers are used to seeing (in fact, you'll probably have less health than a lot of the other guys in your group).

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go and do them - just make sure you have a thick skin to take the bad comments (and then prove them all wrong by being an amazing tank).

Quote Originally Posted by Shirra

Jesus Christ, when even Blizzard starts agreeing with those "LINK ACHIEVEMENT AND 7K GS OR NO INVITEZ!!!1!11ONE!" retards, I'm starting to lose faith in humanity
    It's an extremely low gear requirement. My two latest 80s have both been able to get in instantly wearing a mix of quest gear and cheap BoE blues off the AH + a few crafted. If you use 200-300g on those items you can get in no problem.

If you have other toons, I suggest checking to stonekeeper shards , use them to purchase the WG tokens that grant 2000 honor. Those are Bind on Account, so send them to your druid and use the honor to purchase a few pvp items.

Lost of stam for bear tanking, and might raise your GS a bit.

Also, leatherworking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    It will be the first ground mount to carry more than 2 players. It will require at least one other worgen player to operate and can carry up to 2 non-worgen players.

I think it will be called [Harness]
    - On Worgen Mounts

Nope same thing happened to on my Hunter,you just need to replace 1-2 pieces of gear can you tell me your lowest gear item level please besides the heirlooms

I recently hit 80 on my lock, using 2 trinkets, chest, shoulders and heirloom weapons, and was able to join all of the HCs as well as normal ToC (except the ICC ones). As soon as i got 2p Tier9, ToC hc and FoS normal were unlock, and as soon as i got the FoS quest done, FoS HC and PoS normal.

I still am using a heirloom trinket, so no, the heirlooms do not count as iLevel 1.

Just buy the 245 idol and you should be able to run all HCs. Same thing happened on my druid, and that solved it.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shirra

While I agree that people who demand 5k+ gear score for doing a heroic are full of shit, I can see where Blizzard is coming from with the restrictions they have applied.

The requirements are't really that steep at all (I can get into HC ICC 5 with an average iLevel of 190 on my Warrior tank alt), and they're only in use to keep people who have just dinged their first 80 from getting in over their head. It basically forces new players to run a normal or ten before they're accepted into the harder instances. This let's them get the gear needed to perform well enough in heroics (I seem to remember the number to shoot for back when Wrath had just launched was 1k DPS for heroics), and more importantly, it teaches new players how to play a level 80 in instances. That's the theory, anyway. Whether everyone actually learns this is another matter.

However, I will agree that heirlooms being counted as iLevel 1 items is problematic (if that is indeed what's happening), since they actually equal a 175/187 blue. You are probably ready for heroics in heirlooms, since it's your actual statistics (HP, DPS output etc), and not average item level that matters, but untill Blizzard changes they way their system works, that's what we're stuck with.

Not sure i could enter c's 2.6k GS and FoS hc 3.5k and HoR 4.4k. However heres me advice! Items dont have to be on to enter hc's hd boe tank cloak on rogue in BAG but could enter hcs but when vendored i couldnt bought back i could lol

To be honest i've never seen a feral druid with 21k hp in bear form, hell i was one of the first 80 in the server after the wotlk launch and we had trouble clearing istances such AN/OK/Oculus with ferals with 24k, i'm glad blizzard won't let people like you (no offense) join heroics so early.

There are some really nice epics you can craft with LW for like 100g each (even less probably), + blue gear that can take you to around 26-28k hp and some decent armor/dodge in bear form, wich is really ok for every heroic except maybe the last one in icc.
    Most of the time normal istances are a waste of time, leave them and buy what you need, even if you don't have the golds actually it takes less time to grind for golds and buy stuff than running useless normals.