Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Blue posts, MMO Report, Comics

World of Warcraft Battle Plan, April 2010
    Blizzard posted a small recap of what happened on WoW lately and what will happen soon. Nothing really new here, but there is a short mention of database upgrades that will make a couple of players happy.
    Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker)

Database Upgrades
    With the addition of so many great new features, we wanted to make sure that our infrastructure was in place to fully support them. To that end, we will be performing additional database hardware upgrades prior to the release of Cataclysm. This will allow all players to experience this new expansion as intended.

While we do not have specific dates to share at this point in time, we will be working to communicate when these upgrades occur to ensure the best possible experiences during this time and continuing into the future.

Read the full Battle Plan
    Blue posts
    Let's go back to our old habits, it's blue post time! Ghostcrawler was nice enough to spend a part of his sunday answering players questions about changes to classes in Cataclysm.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Balancing masteries
    Adjusting the third bonus is dangerous, because that is the one tied to mastery rating on gear. If we make that stat too good, then you might want mastery at the expense of crit or haste and get offended if there isn't tons of mastery on your tier sets.

Adjusting the first two passives, especially the first one, which is just damage for Elemental, is a lot safer. It's not a huge deal if Elemental gets 0.25 % damage per talent point spend and Enhancement gets 0.21 % damage per talent point spent as long as the end result of dps is pretty close.*

* - "pretty close" will be defined by players as "nobody should ever beat me, irrespective of encounter, gear or my own personal button mashing routine." (Source)

Bloodlust/Heroism on more classes
    We do want to make sure that 10 player raids can get all of the major buffs a little easier. You should feel like most reasonable comps (3 warriors and 7 rogues is not what we'd consider reasonable) give you all of the major buffs and several of the more minor ones. There will be a little more consolidation than what we've described so far.

We are scaling back the magnitude of some of the buffs, as we did with Sunder Armor. We want you to feel awesome when you have strong good synergy, but we don't want the buffs to overwhelm say your gear or skill. We're also planning on getting rid of any talent that buffs a buff. Any buff that is earned solely by talent needs to have a selfish component thrown in so that you don't feel like you should respec if someone else with that buff comes along.

Obviously things like Rebirth can't just be handed to out to more classes unless we did something like a second exhaustion mechanic for battle rez or whatever. For now we're going to try the cooldown at 30 min again. In Icecrown's world of limited attempts, a 30 min cooldown likely meant you just cooled your heels until the cooldown was available again. In Cataclysm the hope is sometimes you'll have the benefit available but not every time, which scales back on how much of a game-changer it is. (Source)

Healing Philosophy
    I have found this philosophy to be a tough one to communicate. Painted broadly, we have some players who chose healing because they like to be challenged and we have some players who chose healing because they like to be the hero. In LK, raid healing can definitely be stressful at times, but we're not actually convinced the challenge is there. After a tough fight, whether it was succesful or not, ask yourself what you should have done differently. Did you use the wrong heal in the wrong situation? I'd suspect not since most healers have pretty stringent rotations these days where you use your strongest heals on cooldown and fill in the time left with your next strongest heals and so on. Did you heal the wrong person at the wrong time? Probably not because anyone you failed to heal was probably about to die. You probably overhealed a lot because there is little consequence for overhealing.

Go back and look at a few videos of BC raid encounters. A couple of points may be strking. One, several characters may be at various stages of injury -- the healers could not keep them all topped off. Second, the healers may be at various stages of mana -- in other words, it's not just a matter of having more GCDs before everyone is fine again. It's a matter of triage.

Triage is one of the things missing from today's healing game (even though you likely learned First Aid through a triage quest). Loosely defined, triage is deciding who needs immediate attention (vs. who is stable vs. who is a lost cause). We want healers to be able to make decisions like "The tank is wounded, but she is unlikely to die in the next few hits, and hots are ticking on her, so she's probably okay for a moment and I can heal this Ret paladin over here," vs. "The rogue is wounded, but my big heal would overheal for a ton and I need the mana, so I can use a small heal." We want the dps to likewise be thinking about ways to minimize damage on themselves, not because they'll die in a global (i.e. before they could respond anyway) but because the healers are going to risk running out of mana.

Today, in LK, healing risks feeling even more like whack-a-mole. Injury? Heal. Injury? Heal. You're testing your reflexes more than your decision-making ability. Whack-a-mole can be challenging, but it doesn't have much depth. It's easy to add depth though. Let's start with the notion that there are two hammers. The little hammer can dispatch most of those moles, but sometimes you can use your big hammer too. The big hammer has limited charges or whatever. Now let's have some of the moles pop out a little slower so that you have time to consider which hammer to use. See where I'm going with this?

Running out of mana doesn't have to be, and won't be, the only reason you fail an encounter. But it is a point of failure that we don't have today. Adding it back in will make the encounters feel more distinct from each other and will actually, we believe, make healing more interesting and ultimately more fun. I agree it's going to be a tough sell though. In one of our playtests recently, the healer came back frazzled. "I couldn't keep everyone topped off," she said. "It took me half the dungeon to realize that I didn't have to." Once that clicked, she said she started having fun. Hopefully it will click with other players quickly too. (Source)

Arenas
    We're not killing off Arenas, nor do we regret introducing them. (Rob said in an interview once that we regretted *how* we introduced them. Big difference.)

Part of the problem with how we introduced Arena was we offered extremely powerful rewards that were available relatively easily. Everyone I know participated in Arena at the start of BC. Were they having fun? Several of them weren't. But they figured the had to do it to stay competitive. In fact, in BC the PvP rewards were so easy and required such little time per week to get that they threatened to divert a lot of players from raiding to get epics.

Flash forward to Lich King. We made it harder, in that it took more actual wins, to earn great PvP rewards. At the same time, we made raiding much more accessible. This got a lot of the players who didn't want to participate in Arenas out of there. But it wasn't enough. We still had a lot of players who liked PvP and / or didn't enjoy raiding who still felt like Arenas were there only avenue to great gear. Unfortunately, if they weren't that good, or if they picked a spec that wasn't that good, or they picked a comp that wasn't that good, then they were just spinning their wheels since we no longer offered them great rewards for just losing matches each week.

The idea behind rated BGs is to be able to offer the best PvP rewards through both Arenas or BGs. If you love BGs but don't like Arenas, you can still get great rewards. If you love Arenas, hopefully the experience will be even better for you because the guys who don't like Arenas will be off doing something else. If you like both Arenas and BGs, great, you have more choices in what you do that week. If you like PvP but still lose a lot, yes you're still going to be a season behind the guys who win a lot. We'll reward you gear just for participating, but if you want th best gear, you still need to win. (Source)

Paladin (Forums / Talent Calculator)
    Late Cataclysm class preview for Paladins
    We figured no matter who was last they were going to feel victimized. You shouldn't try and interpret too much by the order of the previews though. The fact is we're just not as far along on paladins as we are the other classes. We find it easier to work on a few classes at a time rather than say work on one class on Monday then a different class on Tuesday and keep rotating through them. We didn't pick paladin last because we hate them or because they need the most work or the least work or anything. It's pretty much totally random.

We haven't torn up the paladin talent trees in earnest yet, so the preview will likely be heavy on design intent and light on details. One of the changes we'll continue to emphasize with Retribution is trading more defenses for offense. A defensive dps spec just doesn't work really well in WoW. (Source)

The MMO Report
    Monday is MMO Report day! (Ok, technically, it's Thursday but you get the idea)

HTML Code:
    <object classId="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayerLg45234"><param name="movie" value="http://g4tv.com/lv3/45234" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://g4tv.com/lv3/45234" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>

Comics
    Dark Legacy Comic #233 and Teh Gladiators #122 / #123 are out.

Re: Blue posts, MMO Report, Comics

Quote Originally Posted by nirv
    Those Dark Comics are never funny, ever.
    Then I do indeed wonder why you read them. I do enjoy them however.

Poor link

I believe that's the best DLC yet

10+ Year Old Account

All hail Gigz, new darkness of the world!

Database Upgrades

With the addition of so many great new features, we wanted to make sure that our infrastructure was in place to fully support them. To that end, we will be performing additional database hardware upgrades prior to the release of Cataclysm. This will allow all players to experience this new expansion as intended.

While we do not have specific dates to share at this point in time, we will be working to communicate when these upgrades occur to ensure the best possible experiences during this time and continuing into the future.
    :< can someone tell me what this means? :< without technical mumbo jumbo :x

Deleted

That DLC was FREEKING EPIC!

So totally true...Or I just never get the joke in those DLC comics

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log
    :< can someone tell me what this means? :< without technical mumbo jumbo :x
    Better hardware = lower pings, less lags.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

So it's now confirmed that Gnomeregan's Surface and Echo Isles will be the new Gnome and Troll starting zones!
    Time for Bed

Time for bed stops you feeling tired in the mornings!
    Download from the app store now!

It's like watching a Dane Cook routine ain't it? You hate the guy, but you keep watching just to not laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker)

We haven't torn up the paladin talent trees in earnest yet, so the preview will likely be heavy on design intent and light on details. One of the changes we'll continue to emphasize with Retribution is trading more defenses for offense. A defensive dps spec just doesn't work really well in WoW. (Source)
    ;D :P
    DERP

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We figured no matter who was last they were going to feel victimized. You shouldn't try and interpret too much by the order of the previews though. The fact is we're just not as far along on paladins as we are the other classes. We find it easier to work on a few classes at a time rather than say work on one class on Monday then a different class on Tuesday and keep rotating through them. We didn't pick paladin last because we hate them or because they need the most work or the least work or anything. It's pretty much totally random.

We haven't torn up the paladin talent trees in earnest yet, so the preview will likely be heavy on design intent and light on details. One of the changes we'll continue to emphasize with Retribution is trading more defenses for offense. A defensive dps spec just doesn't work really well in WoW.
    Actually, Paladins do require the most redesign, considering their current design vision of fun. Tons of multiplier talents =|= fun.

I had high hopes in the preview, but considering Paladins are the last class to get reviewed again and they still have no clue wtf they are doing, it's going to be WotLK all over again:

Being ignored for most of the time, getting some last-minute changes without much testing, resulting in massive QQ, ridiculously fast hotfixes due to being overpowered and crappy band aids which don't solve core problems at all after realising they overdid their nerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook
    I had high hopes in the preview, but considering Paladins are the last class to get reviewed again and they still have no clue wtf they are doing, it's going to be WotLK all over again:

Being ignored for most of the time, getting some last-minute changes without much testing, resulting in massive QQ, ridiculously fast hotfixes due to being overpowered and crappy band aids which don't solve core problems at all after realising they overdid their nerfs.
    It's not that hard to reroll.
    When I want to log out, where's the save button? I can't find it anywhere, been logged in for three years now.

"We're not killing off Arenas, nor do we regret introducing them. (Rob said in an interview once that we regretted *how* we introduced them. Big difference."

I could of sworn he said "Arena's were a mistake". I agree, they were a huge mistake. All They wanted was a better "ranking system" than just how many hours you can spend in WSG.

I HATE Arena's, because to me they dont really capture the idea of PvP very well.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by XaCez
    I believe that's the best DLC yet

Personally, I'm really happy with the way the game has progressed. Perhaps I'm biased since I came into WoW with Wrath, but I feel like the game has gotten better since I started playing in December 2009. Although I do wish I had been here for TBC - I can't imagine the game without the BG Finder, Achievements, etc. and now the new Random BG/Dungeon Finder. I love the game and it's direction. I can't wait to see what comes next!

All this QQing everyone (Trade, General, Forums, and even Guild Chat) seems to always be doing, it's hard to stay interested when everyone is telling you that the game sucks and everything was better "back in the day."

^This^ really helps me realize that, "Eff them! I love this game!"
    It's not infectious, but it is technopathological.

New database stuff? Please let that mean allowing more than 10 characters on one server!!! Im faithful to my server (lol) and I ended up filling th ebarn pretty quick.

I'll be happy with 12 ;D
    Plays: Ayalafatalis (80 UD rogue), Benedicttine (70+ UD priest), Hygelac (70+ Troll Hunter), Hauntress (70+ UD Death Knight). Sentinels US server

Quote Originally Posted by Upptagen
    It's not that hard to reroll.
    People don't want to reroll the class they like best, sorry not all of us roll FotM

DLC was great this week! Made me smile.

Lok'tar Ogar!