Splinter Cell Conviction.

Splinter Cell has always has a past where games were ether good, or bad. But I think this one might just be the one that makes people interested again. What do you think?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Splinter Cell Conviction.

I think I saw the commercial for this game and I giggled a bit.. way to "I'm a bad ass look at me". But I have enjoyed the games in the past. It's just like.. the script from a bad action movie.

"When I lost my daughter I stopped playing by the rules, I don't take crap from anyone because.. I'm awesome".

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Splinter Cell has always has a past where games were ether good, or bad. But I think this one might just be the one that makes people interested again. What do you think?
    my gut tells me its gonna suck. Anytime a video game commercial composes of no game play and just some CGI character saying stuff, it usually sucks.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

All the good Splinter Cell games came from Ubisoft Montreal and not Ubisoft Shanghai, also they switch studios on every other game. Montreal made the first game and Chaos Theory, the last which is easily the best in the series. The last game was Double Agent, made by Shanghai and it was very mediocre, I even felt it was a step down from Chaos Theory in many ways. Conviction is made by Montreal and it will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    I think I saw the commercial for this game and I giggled a bit.. way to "I'm a bad ass look at me". But I have enjoyed the games in the past. It's just like.. the script from a bad action movie.

"When I lost my daughter I stopped playing by the rules, I don't take crap from anyone because.. I'm awesome".
    I will agree, probably not the best advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    my gut tells me its gonna suck. Anytime a video game commercial composes of no game play and just some CGI character saying stuff, it usually sucks.
    Just finished the game. And it was a hell of a rush in my opinion.

The storyline was great, making the game seem like a good thriller movie.

The combat is good too, but I was a little sad to see them kill a lot of the stealth aspect of the game. It helps a lot to be stealthy, but it doesn't mean you depend on it like the past games.

But overall, in my opinion, one of the best of the Splinter Cell games.

stealth is what made splinter cell stand out.

this one is just another short FPS, not really a splinter cell in my eyes. the story was engaging enough but tbh not what i expected from a ssplinter cell.

i bought it and took it back same day after completing it, been along time since i have done that.

not a patch on chaos theory!

Quote Originally Posted by Alican
    All the good Splinter Cell games came from Ubisoft Montreal and not Ubisoft Shanghai, also they switch studios on every other game. Montreal made the first game and Chaos Theory, the last which is easily the best in the series. The last game was Double Agent, made by Shanghai and it was very mediocre, I even felt it was a step down from Chaos Theory in many ways. Conviction is made by Montreal and it will be good.
    100% agree. i've always said montreal was better. double agent had terrible levels, and returning to the enemy base was super boring. chaos theory by far was best. i replayed it so many times in different ways, like all stealth, all running stabbing and gunning, and all stealth kills. the new game does have a cheesy plot, but if the stealth gameplay isn't butchered, it would be great because you can just replay the game as an action game after you do it stealthy-like.

Ive been waiting to buy Conviction for the PC for quite a while in all honesty..until i heard about this DRM thing Ubisoft seem to love these days.That put me off it entirely...having to be online to play the single player portion of a video game..bleh,its a step too far in my opinion. However,being a Splinter Cell fan since the original,im just going to rent it for the 360..im hearing the single player part of the game is quite short anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by _Myth_
    Ive been waiting to buy Conviction for the PC for quite a while in all honesty..until i heard about this DRM thing Ubisoft seem to love these days.That put me off it entirely...having to be online to play the single player portion of a video game..bleh,its a step too far in my opinion. However,being a Splinter Cell fan since the original,im just going to rent it for the 360..im hearing the single player part of the game is quite short anyways.
    The DRM is probably going to hurt their profits more than Pirates every did, and Pirates will always find a way around these things.

I personally played it on the 360, and once you figure out the controls, you might consider if better than the PC. The new Cover Combat System was extremly well done and I hope other company's use it.

fair bit through campaign myself now, was a bit skeptical when i heard there wasnt going to be as much emphasis on being stealthy, but it works really well, i'm a fan of all the SC games and this comes along beside chaos theory imo.

My only complaint is the lack of spy vs mercs :< although im having a blast with the multiplayer that is there with my bro.

didn't really like the demo so wont bother with the full game.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account

Definitely going to pick this up. Cant wait to see how the Co-OP works on it.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum
    didn't really like the demo so wont bother with the full game.
    This.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Sorry not a patch on Chaos theory.

not a patch on most of the splintercell games aside from having better graphics.

story was engaging but as a huge fan of all previous games, i'm not a fan of EZMODE splintercell.

6 hours gameplay, what a waste of my money. i bought this expecting a great stealth game instead i got a game designed for 5 year olds to run and gun around on. there is no enphasis on using stealth to not get killed, you can run through this and complete it by being as stealthy as a hippo on heat.

6/10 only because the story and graphics aren't bad.

might be worth renting if your bored 1 afternoon or purchasing for $15 other than that i wont be wasting money on a splintercell in future

Deleted

Ive been waiting for SC:C for so long. Man, that game has been pushed back for years. I have some very high expectations to the game, and I really expect a very good flow, being able to make up things on the fly instead of having to sit for 2 minutes to have a guard walk back towards me. But, because I liked SC:CT and Double Agent, I am forced to buy Conviction no matter what kind of reviews it gets :P

I am not too worried about the DRM. It hasn't affected me too much yet. It was terrible in the first few days of Assassins Creed 2, but they worked out the quinks with that. I haven't had any problems with The Settlers 7, but I do fear if the DRM will crumble for SC:C when it goes out for PC.

Anyways, how long is an average playthrough of Conviction?

Well, in response to my original comment, they did butcher the stealth mechanics. It's yet another badittude mindless action shooter, milking off of the general xbox 360 gaming community. Splintercell 1 and 3 are the only ones that will be good apparently. Games are SO shallow these days. I really like how Blizzard is sticking to their PC only, thought out, story-driven, atmospheric roots.

Deleted

We waited, what, 3-4 years for Conviction? I sure did, I've been disappointed everytime it was prosponed. I was hoping Ubisoft was just pimping the game for all those years, but it seems that, for all this time, they were just working on other projects. It came out for PC around 24 hours ago, and I have just completed the game. Mind you, ive been doing all sorts of other stuff; Steam records my playtime at 4,9 hours.

FIVE HOURS? Man, that is disappointing. Did I wait for a game for four years, just to pay 50 euro for some medicore 5 hour entertainment? I really can't stress what a letdown this was.

Sure, the game did entertain me. The story was engaging, for a Splinter Cell fan as myself, but the actual game was either very easy or very hard. There were parts of the game where it was pure trial and error. "Oh, im supposed to go that way? Great, ill do that next time i respawn". Other times, the enemies were so daft that i merely put them out of their misery by shooting them. Once you realise that you have unlimited pistol ammo, you really don't care about nothing else. Sure, you have to shoot a guy a few times more than expected, but thats of no concern when my pistol holds 20 shots and fire 2-3 bullets per second. You get loads of upgrade points, but you really have very little motivation to switch around.

Interesting sidenote: You can kill a man by shooting him three times in the arm with an AK47, but not four times in the leg.

Sure, there are some extra "missions", where you have to protect an EMP from assault, and a multiplayer mode where you and a friend can play through some scrub mission, but was I really rubbed off with 5 hours of gameplay? Man, in the end, I was just running around with very little disregard for my own safety. The special ops troupes with all the cool gadgets as yourself take a few shots to the chest to die. And heck, when you are tripping over weapon stashes, and magically stock up your grenades when you go from outside to inside in a loading screen. I never even used a single flashbang and only used our special EMP's when I was told.

Alright, so, I enjoyed the story, and the shooting and I liked to see how Sam was developed. Oh, and interrogating was rather enjoyable. The rest.. well..

Son, I am disappoint.

Downloading the game right now.

I played assassins creed 2 also and don't really mind the DRM too much.

Well, Splinter Cell games couldn't run right on my computer, and probably still don't. conviction is my first ever proper working splinter cell gameplay.

I KINDA like it. i played Co-op and i really like helping out my teammate make precise shots, breaking some necks at the same time, etc etc.

Plus i certainly enjoyed fucking with the AI on Batman:Arkham Asylum, so i did the same for this game.

I just wish it uh, lasted longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth

Once you realise that you have unlimited pistol ammo, you really don't care about nothing else. Sure, you have to shoot a guy a few times more than expected, but thats of no concern when my pistol holds 20 shots and fire 2-3 bullets per second. You get loads of upgrade points, but you really have very little motivation to switch around.
    Pretty much. There's really no point to even buying extra magazine slots for your main weapons, not even for fully upgraded silenced automatics.

During my first playthrough (that is to say Co-op), i didn't even grasp the concept of executions and just went for manual aim headshots, so it felt somewhat challenging.

As soon as i learned that, and i acquired the iconic Five-Seven with all upgrades, the game became a complete cakewalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.