Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New Idea: Drain rogue's Energy and Hunter's Focus

We suppose to be the major counter class.

We have
    Drain Life- to deplete enemies hp
    Drain Mana - to steal their mana pool away from them.

Well what about Drain Soul?
    We have a new soul shard system

so how about Drain Soul takes the target's Energy and Focus away from them.
    This would be fun against a rogue and Hunter.

Re: New Idea: Drain rogue's Energy and Hunter's Focus

Drain Soul is primarily a damage ability. Giving it an extra utility such as focus or energy drain would be a bit overpowered. However, I like the basic idea of your suggestion. I think those utilities would be better if they were added to our Mana Drain spell. Even then, though, with the speed that Energy replenishes, I'm not sure that a Drain spell would be terribly effective.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

10+ Year Old Account

No. Drain Mana (and the likes) don't take away someone's abilities (atleast not immediatly).
    Something like this would destroy rogues, and in the future hunters. Ofcourse energy and focus regen a lot faster than mana...
    But imagine in teamplay, one could effectively lockout hunters and rogues while their teammate(s) destroy them.
    What is worth fighting for?

it could work granting that it would have to be balanced like mana drain draining like 3energy per second or so

and i would love if they changed drain soul to something more in line with drain mana and health not that long ass 15sec drain :/

Im sure he didnt directly mean drain, as that would be a completely horrible mechanic and ruin rogues and hunters in Cataclysm. But maybe more along the lines of slowing the regeneration rate.

Currently, energy regens at 10 per second, before talents. Drain Soul could reduce that to something around 5 or 6 per second... Though, if this were the case it'd be asking for a Kick to the face, or a Silencing Shot. That amount may be OP on second thought, but anyway.. it could still be possible without being overdone.. and im sure if it were they'd definitely eel the pain of the loss of even 1-2 per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow
    No. Drain Mana (and the likes) don't take away someone's abilities (atleast not immediatly).
    Something like this would destroy rogues, and in the future hunters. Ofcourse energy and focus regen a lot faster than mana...
    But imagine in teamplay, one could effectively lockout hunters and rogues while their teammate(s) destroy them.
    Pretty much this. I like the idea, though. Maybe instead of a drain you put a curse (or bane come cata) that halves/quarters/thirds the energy/focus regen for 3-5 seconds? That way you don't completely lockout a rogue or hunter, but it definitely gives you some breathing room.

Also, we need to know how cata PVP will be like. Right now in WOTLK it'd be nice.

would not be fair at all, you could lock out hunters and rogue so badly they would become unplayable

10+ Year Old Account

Dumbest thing i have ever heard in my entire life..... What is the next thing you want? Bubble?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

So if a target is below 25% a rogue or hunter will take 15k ticks and can't use abilities? Sounds fair

Deleted

maybe some kind of a curse to drain like 10 energy/focus every 3 sec ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Tro

We have

Drain Mana is a channeled spell that removes mana from the target and gives it to the Warlock. It is learned at level 24

Cataclysm
    Drain soul is a channeled spell that removes focus/energi from the target and gives it to the Warlock. It is learned at level 24

whats next?

Drain soul is a channeled spell that removes Rage from the target and gives it to the Warlock. It is learned at level 24
    | Lenovo Legion5 17ACH6H | i7 8700K @ 4.7 GhZ| ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F GAMING | 32 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600MHz | 2 x Acer 27" Predator XB271HU | Fractal Design Meshify C | Master MasterLiquid ML360R WaterCooling | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | Samsung 980 PRO M.2 1Tb | Asus RTX 2070 | EVGA 650W GQ | Steelseries Rival | Logitech G815 | Playstation 5 | Xbox Series X | Nintendo Switch

Oh, I got one! Give poisons a mana-draining poison...yeah, that seems fair. lol

A drain of rage/mana/focus would be rendering these classes useless.
    The mechanics used in these classes are already being limited by their pool not exceeding 100 (apart from rogues who are talented for this).
    Having such a mechanic in the game would be entirely gamebreaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tro

We have

Stupidest thing I've heard all day. How would you like it if rogues had a poison that sapped your mana? Not fun is it retard.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Onyxia&cn=Septer

Rogue's only have 100 base energy. They can slightly increase their total energy, energy cost of abilities, and energy regeneration with talents and certain equipment. My point is they don't have much energy to begin with and it comes back quick. It would be more effective to have rogues waste the energy with misses and damage absorption. Personally, I wish they would put resilience on Demon Armor.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie
    Dumbest thing i have ever heard in my entire life..... What is the next thing you want? Bubble?
    Haha, ret paladin with Ronaldo avatar. You're either a very successful troll or 14 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie
    You haven't heard a lot, then.

I could picture Drain Mana affecting energy/focus/rage as well, to a minor degree, like slowing the regeneration rate a bit, and restoring mana to the warlock at the same rate as it would when used against a mana class.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartge
    Oh, I got one! Give poisons a mana-draining poison...yeah, that seems fair. lol
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=3034

15+ Year Old Account

You are balanced around having a mana pool that every once in a while requires maintenance and intervention to keep full enough.
    They are balanced around having a steady flow of resources that does not stop.

This introduces all sorts of balance issues.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Amorti
    Rogue's only have 100 base energy. They can slightly increase their total energy, energy cost of abilities, and energy regeneration with talents and certain equipment. My point is they don't have much energy to begin with and it comes back quick. It would be more effective to have rogues waste the energy with misses and damage absorption. Personally, I wish they would put resilience on Demon Armor.
    Reroll Plate class imo. Locks already do enough dmg to justify why you might feel your armor is low. Don't even get me started on Frost mages...
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Onyxia&cn=Septer