Creating a website

I want to make a website similar to mmo-champion.com just for fun and to learn some web design. Database, community functions like forums etc, news/blog kind of front page etc. I've spent a good deal of time messing around with Dreamweaver in the past, was wondering if it was worth continuing to use it or if there were better/easier programs out there?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Creating a website

Personally, I program all of my websites in vi or notepad. I like getting down and dirty with the code, rather than letting a program interpret what I want.

Writing code for "forums, news/blog" etc. is extremely time-consuming and it's also re-inventing the wheel. Good starting point would be for example googling for "free cms" and pick a server which handles all that for you.

For bit more hands-on thing you could google for "lamp" (or "linux apache mysql php"),
    or just http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_%28software_bundle%29 and pay attention to the links in particular.

Other good searches for even deeper hands-on and programming stuff would be getting to know http://rubyonrails.org/

Building one web page with Dreamweaver is small piece of the puzzle. You also need dedicated server that can handle the load and where you can run all the web applications & databases you need. Normal 100meg homepage space you get from your ISP will not work. Also when your traffic gets anywhere close to mmo-champion's numbers, you'll probably end up paying few thousand bucks/month just for the bandwidth usage.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    You also need dedicated server that can handle the load and where you can run all the web applications & databases you need. Normal 100meg homepage space you get from your ISP will not work. Also when your traffic gets anywhere close to mmo-champion's numbers, you'll probably end up paying few thousand bucks/month just for the bandwidth usage.
    Well, your home ISP will work, depending on your traffic and your ISP's rules. I run a few low traffic websites from home on my 50/10Mbps FiOS connection, serving from a P4 2.66GHz with 1.5GB RAM. It's also my Ventrilo, TeamSpeak 3, Mumble, and Steam (CS:S/L4D2) server.

I do not envy MMOC's bandwidth bill, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Well, your home ISP will work, depending on your traffic and your ISP's rules.
    Dunno what kind of ISP's you have, but none here allow running any kind of databases or php/perl/ruby/whatever scripts. Dedicated web hosting is whole another thing.

edit:

Or like in your case running all servers on your own home computer. But it's not really an option unless you have ridiculously big upstream, and very very few residential ISP's sell that.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Personally, I program all of my websites in vi or notepad. I like getting down and dirty with the code, rather than letting a program interpret what I want.
    I agree with that for sure. I work full time in web development and almost 99% of the time I use textpad to hand-code php, etc. I just always found a lot of things like Dreamweaver seemed to add bits of unnecessary html when using design view. It comes out looking right but often times you can get the same effect with less

15+ Year Old Account

Dunno what kind of ISP's you have, but none here allow running any kind of databases or php/perl/ruby/whatever scripts. Dedicated web hosting is whole another thing.

edit:

Or like in your case running all servers on your own home computer. But it's not really an option unless you have ridiculously big upstream, and very very few residential ISP's sell that.
    I have a Verizon business class FiOS with a static IP. It's a good deal more than the residential service (about double), but it's the only way to have port restrictions removed. When I was on Comcast Cable (residential service), I ran the same server with the same services on their service... at least until they blocked port 25.

Really, $100 a month is cheap compared to the cost to professionally host 7 domains, most with multiple sub-domains.

Notepad ++ is nice, not sure if you guys were referring to that when you mentioned Notepad, essentially a notepad dedicated to coding, it has many languages and comes with all the formatting options from programs like Visual Studio.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Zafier
    I want to make a website similar to mmo-champion.com just for fun and to learn some web design. Database, community functions like forums etc, news/blog kind of front page etc. I've spent a good deal of time messing around with Dreamweaver in the past, was wondering if it was worth continuing to use it or if there were better/easier programs out there?
    Personally, I like notepad for writing websites. I haven't written one in awhile, but there's a lot of things you can do that just aren't available in a gui when you learn the language.

HTML
    CSS
    JS/VBS
    SQL
    Pearl
    PHP
    DHTML

used to know all of them
    “Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.”
    Please check out My Mixes

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfiah
    Notepad ++ is nice, not sure if you guys were referring to that when you mentioned Notepad, essentially a notepad dedicated to coding, it has many languages and comes with all the formatting options from programs like Visual Studio.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
    Actually, yes. I love Notepad++. Colors your your code based on language. Beautiful.

Writing code for "forums, news/blog" etc. is extremely time-consuming and it's also re-inventing the wheel.
    It may be but it's also a great way to learn PHP, CSS, HTML, and MySQL or your DB system of choice.