Internet/Game problem

Hello, recently my computer is only able to run Firefox, if I try to run the regular IE it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I luckily had Firefox, and that works fine, but my other problem is, it won't connect to WoW or a lot of other games, such as Aion, it just wont connect to some servers. I don't know why I'm no computer genius, hence the post. Anyways to fix this? Is it a simple firewall problem? I'm currently running AVG as my windows protection, and I've had AVG for the longest time and this has never happened. Thanks for all the help!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Internet/Game problem

Make sure ur firewall isnt blocking either of those programs or u can try to restart ur modem router and computer but if none of that works idk maybe try reinstalling the games

Well I know its not the games, because I tried other online games like Starcraft and stuff to see if it was just games, Starcraft worked... and so does firefox. I think its a firewall problem or a proxy problem cuz it also tells me to do this.....

Proxy settings are used to tell Internet Explorer the network address of an intermediary server (known as a proxy server) that is used between the browser and the Internet on some networks. Changing proxy settings is something you usually only have to do if you are connecting to the Internet through a corporate network. By default, Internet Explorer automatically detects proxy settings. However, you might need to manually set a proxy with information supplied by your network administrator. Here's how:

To change proxy server settings
    Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

Select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.

In the Address box, type the address of the proxy server.

In the Port box, type the port number.

If your network requires separate proxy addresses for different services, such as HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP, click the Advanced button, and then type the individual proxy server addresses to use.

When you are finished making changes, click OK until you return to Internet Explorer.

Note
    In some corporate environments, network or proxy settings might be preset or turned off by the administrator.

See also
    What is a proxy server?
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ _______

I don't understand that whole proxy stuff, so if someone could help me with that, that would be awesome.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Well Starcraft and WoW are two totally different programs

Anyone besides timtim who can give me answers? No offense timtim...

This is you This is a proxy This is the internet

<> <> <>

Your web browser has to go through the proxy server to connect to the internet. If your browser can't find the proxy then you won't be able to connect to the internet.

Are you at home? It sounds strange that you need to connect to a proxy if you are at home. If you are at work then you might have to ask the person that handles your computers, he probably knows what proxy address you should connect to.