Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: How would YOU make Shadow Word: Death a useful Execute?

@Carubourne:
    Well, my point was that it would be nice to not be an existing Execute. Demonology, for example, spams Soulfire, whereas Fire Mages just get a passive increase. Then you have the Hammer of Wrath/Kill Shot vs the real execute (which also didn't scale well enough to be smash this expansion, sadface). A unique and new way to bring in that damage bonus, keep it weaved in, would be kind of cool.

I really really don't think it needs to be a DoT though. Shadow has enough to manage, and letting it continue ticking on below 35% is just a bad idea. :-\
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

@Kelesti

I saw your point, I'm just saying, that like you've said a Shadow Priest has enough to deal with, so realistically, if they just turn it into another Execute like a Paladin or Hunter, then it's easy to manage and still a DPS Boost, while if you change it into something more complicated, like a DoT or something that it could get hard to people who have like, a Shadow Priest Alt, to keep track off and potentially lead to less Damage.

I personally prefer short and sweet styles, ie) Adding Kill Shot, Hammer of Wrath to your rotation.

I mean really, guaranteed DPS Boost? Why not.

The duration that's longer than the cooldown (plus has a chance of being stretched) would help, and my idea would have it buff its own damage! So realistically, you could weave it in off of cooldown, but should you want to do other things for a couple seconds (like a full DoT refresh) you can without too much of a worry.

But I digress, this was an idea I had on a crowded train waiting to come home from work. This is not Blizzard's idea. We'll probably see a Kill Shot/Hammer of Wrath type effect, let's just hope they do it right this time? :-\
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Two problems I see:
    1. Under 30% or whatever the execute range is we will want to use SW every CD, reducing our mobility since it will be on CD more often
    2. If its only usable under the execute range again our mobility will be affected
    ^ kind of the same issue actually ..

Instead of backlashing to you, it "backlash" to enemy. Double the damage, hell yea! Make like a Kill Shot. And Increase cooldown. That would be nice.

I would make it so it scales as a dot, so if you're on a boss (lets take saurfang for example)
    At 20% everyone starts their kill shot/execute/hammer of wrath moves.
    If SW:P is active, bursts SW:P for the whole amount of the SW:P and applies a new dot, scaling in damage with the lower the boss gets. So If (theoretical #'s) it does 1k dps at 20%, it can do 2k dps @ dps with sliding scale, providing a nice finishing burst.
    So in pvp, if your thisclose to killing someone (2%) it can truly be a kill shot.
    However, to counter that, if the target (a mark dies, the healer heals them above20%), it turns into a healing buff, healing 2x the amount damaged over 10 seconds, so it's not "oh, spriest, below 20%, / forfeit".
    With the rated BG system leading to (imo) more premades with healers this can be a very effective way to knock off people running around on their lonesome, encouraging further teamwork instead of the "lolstfuimthebestimgonnacarrythisbgidkwtfusaycuzimclassxandop" that can often be found on losing teams.

thats my 2 cents in case anybody cares.
    ret pally

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

I kind of like the idea of it applying a doing increased damage and applying a DoT passed say 20% that doesnt have to be tracked. As mentioned the DoT will persist until the enemy is dead or until the enemy is healed past 20%. It may also put a Mind SPike debuff on passed 20% to give you a head start on a nice heavy Mind Spike to finish the job.
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-

I do like some of the ideas, but I think the spell speaks for itself on what it should do.

Maybe something like;

Shadow Word: Death - Your target is marked for death and takes X amount of damage until A) Fully healed (cheeky, I know) B) For X amount of seconds.
    And of course it's only usable at 25% or 35% or maybe even lower.

Or maybe even a silly MS effect like the DKs are getting. For example, it puts a debuff that lasts for 3-5 seconds and whatever healing the target gets while the debuff is up is redirected to the priest as healing or even redirected back towards the healer as damage.

The thing is, it should be like (for pvp atleast) that whenever you face a shadow priest, you definitely do not want to get under the required percentage where Shadow Word: Death can be used. It should HURT when that is possible!

Again, the wording says it all; Shadow Word: DEATH 8)

Shadow Word: Death
    12% of base mana 30 yd range
    Instant cast 12 sec cooldown

A word of dark binding that inflicts x to y Shadow damage to the target. If the target is not below 25% health or killed, the caster takes damage equal to the damage inflicted upon the target. The target takes 3 times the damage when below 25% health.

Wouldn't mind that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviltry
    Instead of backlashing to you, it "backlash" to enemy. Double the damage, hell yea! Make like a Kill Shot. And Increase cooldown. That would be nice.
    I have to say, that is a very interesting idea. Mind you, it'd be as 'boring' as any other execute-type effects. I just like the sort of 'backlash-backlash'.

Personally, I'd possibly like to see something that doesn't work as just a more powerful SW, but rather something boosting everything else. My idea (slightly based on some of the ideas already in this thread):

Exhaustion

When your target is below 35%/30%/20%, your Shadow Word: Death inflicts the target with Exhaustion. The Exhaustion effect causes your damage over time effects on the target to tick faster. Lasts 15 seconds. Exhaustion is half effective on players. Cannot be dispelled.

When I say 'tick faster', I mean essentially that the dots on the target has an appropriate amount of Haste added to them. The effect won't necessarily have to be halved on players, that's just something in case it turns altogether too overpowered. And at the same time, the dispel protection is there so that Shadow Priests won't lose this aspect of their spec in PvP.

Personally I would like to see a talent that would increase the power of the spell off of a proc that would occur while mind flaying a target with shadow word pain while the target was below 35%. Like getting fingers of frost and casting deep freeze for frost mages. Basically make it a nuke you can still cast while running thats weak until you get the proc and make the thing hit for 20k.

Possibly increase the amount of damage based on the number of dots on the target (full dots would make it hit for 20k), or have it remove dots when you use the proc on a target so its not too OP in pvp.

10+ Year Old Account

Instant cast - n% base mana - z seconds cooldown

You become linked with the target through death. Dealing x to y shadow damage. If the target has less than 35% health, you place a debuff on the target: your hostile over time abilities will now last until your target dies or when you die. These over time spells are now undisplellable. The acceleration at which the damage of Mind Spike is increases is doubled as long this debuff is active. This effect wears off when the target reaches more than 35% of his maximum health.

just my idea

Marked for Death (Talent)

Increases the damage done by your Shadow Word: Death by 5/10/15%. While your target is at or below 35%, your Shadow Word: Death places a mark on your target that increases damage received from you by 5/10/15% for x seconds. Requires 3 Shadow Orbs and consumes all active Shadow Orbs in the process. Damage dealt to a target afflicted by Mark of Death will not be converted into healing via Vampiric Embrace.

15+ Year Old Account

Hmm, I think the downside is that no "execute" really has any flavor beyond being an execute, so to make it different from others would result in outcries from every paladin, warrior, and hunter in the game (which is many).

Sadly, because of that, I think it's fine as is, especially since we can glyph it.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I'm pretty sure Blizzard likes the "flavor" of Shadow Word: Death having the backlash effect.

It's hard to not just make it another kill shot, which is something I don't see them doing since there is enough of that "flavor" in the game already. With the name of the spell though it's hard to call it that and not make it some kind of execute.

The "your fate is sealed" theme could be enhanced if it refreshed the duration of your VT and DP and made those effects undispelable for a long duration, in addition to doing a significant chunk of damage. Make it Shadowfrost school.

15+ Year Old Account

Simple, usable anytime as it is now. Backlash stays, nothing changes except:

"if your target is below 20% health the damage cause will be 5 times the normal amount, the backlash damage is unchanged"

5x, 2x, whatever. Anything to make it an execute, yet not kill us. If it hits for 2k. We get backlash for 2k. If the mob is under 20, it hits for 10k, we get 2k in backlash.

Deleted

well if its an execute you want and a real "execute" theres just one option... useable after 20 / 25 % and have a decent nonspammable CD....
    even tho i would not say shadowpriests would need anything such..

you could make somethign els but still i belive a CD is the best. blizzard dont tent to like RNG procs on execute attacks.

sure they did on the actually execute attack that warriors has, but its a pretty low damage dealing move anyway,
    the execute does no longer execute enemies..

12 second cooldown
    Deals # Shadow damage and deals the same amount of damage to you. If the target is below 35% health, the cooldown is reduced by half, the damage done is increased by #%, and the target's soul is splintered, summoning a Shadow Specter that defends you for 12 seconds. Any damage done by the Shadow Specter heals you.

Different style execute? Check.
    Keeps the same play style when not in execute range? Check.
    Fun? Check.

Deals shadow damage to the target dealing equal damage back to the caster. If the target is below 20% health any of the caster's damage over time effects remaining on the target will immediately be dispelled dealing [50%] of the damage reaming to be dealt by them.

50% obviously modfiable for balancing between still wanting to use sw and insane damage.

Dispelling of VT would give mana back each time.

Glyph of Shadow Word: Death

If the dots ended by your shadow word:death deal damage greater than [3] times the damage of SW refreshed the cooldown of SW

"A word of dark binding that inflicts 750 to 870 Shadow damage to the target. If the target is not killed by Shadow Word: Death, the caster takes damage equal to the damage inflicted upon the target. If the target is at 35% health or below, Shadow Word: Death causes your next Mind Blast on the target have 100% critical strike chance, consume no mana and cause no cooldown."

Might be abit overpowered, but meh, shadow priests deserve nice things :< Warlocks drain soul is just OP.