Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: PoH Changes in Cataclysm

Quote Originally Posted by Zurii
    I'm honestly hoping that it goes in the direction of a Chain Heal type spell, keep the cast time but focus on getting the most healing out of a cluster of people. Reducing the mana cost would also be nice.
    A similar mechanic to seed of corruption on healing based could offer such an effect without homogenization, similar mana cost to now to avoid being OP, places buff on target that procs the aoe heal when damage taken like prayer of mending.

Prayer of mending with cast time that procs holy nova type heal and doesnt bounce, works for me
    Never argue with and idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Some people should be forced to re-level their toons, and pay more attention to the process...

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by soxyboi
    A similar mechanic to seed of corruption on healing based could offer such an effect without homogenization, similar mana cost to now to avoid being OP, places buff on target that procs the aoe heal when damage taken like prayer of mending.

Prayer of mending with cast time that procs holy nova type heal and doesnt bounce, works for me
    Druids are already getting something like this. Critical regrowth will start to make a "bed of flowers" around the target which will probably heal people in the bed. At least that's how I understood it in their class preview
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Druids are already getting something like this. Critical regrowth will start to make a "bed of flowers" around the target which will probably heal people in the bed. At least that's how I understood it in their class preview
    Yeah but healing people in the bed works more like a hot heal, i was thinking more of a burst heal so that PoH would be to Critical Regrowth, as CoH is to wild growth. Also because it procs from damage taken like PoM it gives a standard mechanic for Prayer spells which i think is cool. Also makes it proactive and less susceptable to ovehealing, and only a smart heal if the priest uses it in smart circumstances, something blizz are trying to work towards.
    Never argue with and idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    Some people should be forced to re-level their toons, and pay more attention to the process...

Quote Originally Posted by soxyboi

Perhaps a better way of doing this would be to make it proc on the target when that target gets healed for an additional amount, not when they take damage. This would force you to target someone either already getting healed, or for you to heal the person after you apply it. I like the idea. But perhaps it would become too simple, since youd just cast it on the tank so it would hit the melee. There would have to be something else added to prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoros
    I can't see the gameplay difference with Holy Nova.
    Good point, perhaps its too close of a spell. Maybe the fact that I forgot about Holy Nova says something about its usage though. Not a great spell, in its current form. Even paladins seem to be getting a spell thats similar to this one (Healing hands).

Quote Originally Posted by Aks
    I like this idea. To make it costly, an infinite channel could provide the buff (the buff could even be increased stats or something other than +healing). But as you channel, along with not being able to provide additional healing during that time, additional mana ticks off at a rate which balances the buff(s) given. You could then change PoH to heal the lowest 5 raid members (keeping the cast time), and would make the spell even more dynamic since the players receiving the buff would not be able to be directly chosen by the priest.
    Disagree with the channel, priest already has more than enough channeled spells, remember that there needs to be a little more decision on the side of the priest.

I think my idea to limit the healing buff in this scenario was more on the order of choosing an area with which to buff (Zeuq's suggestion), much like you would for rain of fire, or healing rains. Perhaps the buff would disperse evenly among the number of targets hit, much like aoe dps spells spread evenly among targets after the number of targets reaches a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by Deocri
    Perhaps a better way of doing this would be to make it proc on the target when that target gets healed for an additional amount, not when they take damage. This would force you to target someone either already getting healed, or for you to heal the person after you apply it. I like the idea. But perhaps it would become too simple, since youd just cast it on the tank so it would hit the melee. There would have to be something else added to prevent this.
    Like you said in your last post, aoe cap similar to dps, also it wouldnt be a smart heal like chain heal for melee so would be less effective for existing health defecits, more of a proactive spell to prevent players dropping too low and being RNGed. Keeping the mana cost relatively high would also prevent abuse. Making it proc from the next heal received would probably make it a lot less effective due to incoming heals from other healers, and if it was only from the priests heals it would further increase mana cost and overhealing

Just to put in my thoughts on the subject. After reading/absorbing current posts and then attempting to think of a balanced solution; I've come up with the following:

• I hate the way PoH works with groups, currently.
    • I think making everything go towards smart heals sort of dumbs down the game, making it less about the player, but more the gear.
    • Making it a proximity only can potentially waste a lot of the heal's effectiveness.
    • Making it fully raid wide is uber OP. They'd have to seriously reduce the healed amount + scaling spell power coefficient. They'd have to make it cap out like current DPS AoE.
    • I sort of like the idea of the Shaman's Healing Rain - esk mechanic. Target the ground and heal the closest 5 people or something -- or even make it further like Healing Rain, healing all within the radius (see above point on capping the heal).

My suggestion: Make it a combination of spells.

• CoH, but not smart. Heal the target (for a small/moderate amount) and the 4/5 closest people to that target. Give it a Beacon - esk range, so it isn't wasted.
    • This effect puts on a PoM type effect on those targets, healing those 5 targets the next time they take damage, for another small/moderate amount. This effect would not jump like PoM, though.
    • If that wasn't enough or whatever, then you could combine the previous bullets, but rather have an immediate bloom or whatever, you could have it work like binding heal.
    • So ultimately you'd cast (current cast time + decent chunk o' mana), it would land on your target + 4/5 others in proximity, healing them for a moderate amount (similar to your 'go to' heal). It would then put on a 'buff' that would heal them whenever they took damage again/after a certain amount of time AND potentially the closest person to them.

Note: I definitely have not put a ton of thought into this. I really hope this made some sense. If something needs clarification, I'd be more than happy to clarify.

I hate that idea for PoH... but... for some reason I just read over it like 8 times and realized something. You just came up with a brilliant way to handle Lightwell. Large proximity based heal that puts a PoM type buff on those affected? That's pretty brilliant. Nothing like what PoH should be, but if it were Lightwell instead? I can see that being pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    I hate that idea for PoH... but... for some reason I just read over it like 8 times and realized something. You just came up with a brilliant way to handle Lightwell. Large proximity based heal that puts a PoM type buff on those affected? That's pretty brilliant. Nothing like what PoH should be, but if it were Lightwell instead? I can see that being pretty awesome.
    Part of the problem with that particular fix for Lightwell, is that Blizzard wants players to actually have to interact with the Lightwell. They don't want it to be a fire and forget spell.

I suppose they could have Lightwell be kind of like a Soul well + PoM?

Note: I do realize Lightwell != PoH, but a potential fix is a potential fix.

What they've said is that they don't want it to just spew out heals, like Healing Stream, or the Lightwell in ToC5. What you outlines wouldn't be anything like that. It would require the Priest to direct its healing and become basically an AOE PoM with fewer bounces. Seems like an amazing solution to me.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't know if this was suggested already, but what about if it would just cast a single charge of PoM-type heal on 5-ish targets around the target? High mana cost, I'd say.
    Warlock (SL main)

IMO, give it a good healing cap and a longish CD to counter a slightly shortened casting time, but make it a targeted AoE. Like the Flamestrike of heals.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Arandmoor
    IMO, give it a good healing cap and a longish CD to counter a slightly shortened casting time, but make it a targeted AoE. Like the Flamestrike of heals.
    That's pretty much Tranquility, isn't it?
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom
    Don't know if this was suggested already, but what about if it would just cast a single charge of PoM-type heal on 5-ish targets around the target? High mana cost, I'd say.
    Sounds similar to the new Power Word: Barrier.

Just tossing this idea out for discussion:

-Prayer of Mending leaves a Y second buff, called say "Hope." (Should perhaps be a limit to number of buffs, say 5)
    -Prayer of Healing when cast heals for X to all currently buffed by Hope. Should none be found, spell will fizzle. Dividing the heal by the number healed is another possibility, allowing higher throughput on less targets.

Problems: Complicated. Hard to control who gets the Hope buff, but Hopefully (no pun intended) those being hit will require some Prayer loving.

Ideal "Rotation": ProM --> Fillers (CoH, Renew, FH) --> PoH Hope'd Targets --> Repeat

Glyph to increase number of Hope targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom
    That's pretty much Tranquility, isn't it?
    No, you do not target something with tranquility, it will be more like Healing Rain that shamans are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesae
    Problems: Complicated. Hard to control who gets the Hope buff, but Hopefully (no pun intended) those being hit will require some Prayer loving.
    Good idea for a spell, I could see this being great for healing tanks, but I don't think it will work for PoH.

PoH as it currently is fills the gap of the priest directing their aoe healing in some way at range without a smart mechanic included. This method of the spell does not do this much.

It would be just too hard for the priest to keep track of who gets hit with PoM, much less wait for the right moment to cast PoH to maximize whatever spread of healing they were going for (concentrated or spread).

Also would be hard to control the amount of the heal.. possibly divided among one person, the tank. I could see myself casting PoM on the tank then casting PoH to get a big burst of healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arandmoor
    Like the thought, the slightly longer cooldown might work in nicely. I could see something 15 to 20 seconds for a normal use spell of this type reasonable. But then thats very subjective.

It just sounds too close to healing rains. Flamestrike has both a Dot and direct damage component. A heal that was instant (as Zeuq suggested), and perhaps had a larger or smaller targeting area than healing rains would, in my opinion, be if not fully, at least somewhat separated from the new shaman ability.

The major problem i see with this one, is that it may be too much like circle of healing. Both are area based, its just one is smart, the other is not.

I could see an ability much like you get on the Healing component of Malygos (while on the dragon) working well.

Some component of the priest's healing rotation would build the charges needed to spend to get an aoe heal -- centering from the priest's location. Number of charges could determine things like range the heal goes out from the priest, mana cost, and / or power that the heal heals for.

Could also be varied on the aforementioned aspects depending on the placement of the cast in the rotation (removing the charges component entirely). Shaman have this component currently for chain heal / riptide to some extent. Casting after a small heal vs a large heal, PoM, or renew, may affect the outcome uniquely.

Just registered for this post, tough my highest holy priest is 50 (form shadow, just got CoH)

One idea that came through my mind, wich wasn´t mentioned before is:
    Take a look at some DPS AOE abilities, how would those mechanics work with healing? CL and CH do for shamans. What about blizzard/hurricane for holy? Or Flamestrike? Living bomb? Especially flamesrike got my attention. It would be pretty much encounter-dependent, but think of DPS who have to think of where they stay? Or you as priest who has to predict where the AOE-healing is necessary? Excpeacilly with the Cataclysm changes in not being topped off all the time, that could be an neat idea.

Sorry for my english, I´m pretty drunk right now...