Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Relentless Tanking Gear?

I am insanely sick of arenas and looking for a way to dump my arena points. Currently I have enough to purchase four pieces of relentless gear or the lower tier wrathful weapon if I bother to get a team back to 1800.

I haven't really done any raiding in this expansion but for at least the next few weeks I'd like to get in to some. Problem is that my gearscore is like 4669. The easiest/fastest way for me to get it over 5k is to pick up full Relentless and tank in that. I see a lot of loss of things like hit, expertise, ap but no lack of stamina/agility really.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...uzad&cn=Babies

I don't want to sink a lot of gold (I'm saving for whatever shiny, new thing comes out in the expansion) so I'm trying to avoid craftables.

Re: Relentless Tanking Gear?

welfare gear returns

What are you planning on tanking? If its just for 25 VoA/Toc and 10 mans, you'd get by no problem.. though people will probably look down on you for that.

Back when Ulduar was the hardest dungeon, my guild's druid tank used about 4-5 pieces of pvp gear and tanked hard modes.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzero
    I am insanely sick of arenas and looking for a way to dump my arena points. Currently I have enough to purchase four pieces of relentless gear or the lower tier wrathful weapon if I bother to get a team back to 1800.

I haven't really done any raiding in this expansion but for at least the next few weeks I'd like to get in to some. Problem is that my gearscore is like 4669. The easiest/fastest way for me to get it over 5k is to pick up full Relentless and tank in that. I see a lot of loss of things like hit, expertise, ap but no lack of stamina/agility really.

I don't want to sink a lot of gold (I'm saving for whatever shiny, new thing comes out in the expansion) so I'm trying to avoid craftables.
    You're missing out on other stats by using PvP gear for PvE. If you're in a guild they may not care, but try joining a pug in all PvP gear and you will raise eyebrows.

I say if you wanna tank do it properly and get the required PvE gear ;p

Well, I am in no guild. Generally I'm speaking of tanking heroics and I want to try for the Ulduar hard mode achievements. Maybe farm some ICC trash while I try to gear up PvE.

You haven't mentioned what tier of content you're looking to raid, but I'm going to guess ICC. '4669' gearscore won't cause you to fail in ICC -- it'll just keep you from getting past the GS gatekeepers. The problem you'll have is you're terribly undergeared for the current level of content. Also, while most of the fights in ICC are fairly easy to tank, you'll probably want to sharpen your claws a bit before diving in and earning a bad reputation on forgotten skills.

The tier 1 weapon though is a very good weapon. If you want to start 'fast' then the relentless will get you a lot of stam / agi, but you'll need a LOT of hit / expertise to supplement it -- Ikfirus's Sack of Wonder is a great start towards that, and is BOE, but is probably still fairly expensive on your server's AH. 4pc T9-232 is very quickly grindable via badges, and is much better itemized for pve than 4pc relentless.

I'd suggest getting into some pug ToC runs as a refresher (though you'll still need to gear up a little bit to be viable there) as there are some very nice upgrades to be had there as well.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by rated
    You're missing out on other stats by using PvP gear for PvE. If you're in a guild they may not care, but try joining a pug in all PvP gear and you will raise eyebrows.

I say if you wanna tank do it properly and get the required PvE gear ;p
    Right...

I tank very well in, wrathful wrists and wring and relentless boots. Never had a problem. Never been tossed/rejected from a pug because of it. The only thing you really are missing are hit/expertise from pvp gear. I am both hit and expertise caped, infact I'm 32 over cap on hit.

OP: you don't want to go straight PVP gear because you'll miss hit cap and the resilience is rather wasted, though if you have the rating look at the PVP weapons (lots of them are better for tanking the pre icc PVE weapons) picking up the Wrathful wrists and ring wouldnt be bad, nor would the relentless boots.

On a side note, I've never understood the hate pve players have for pvp gear, guy in our guild is using the 264 wrathful wrists and 270 wrathful pants(VOA drop) pulling 8-9k dps and last night was told "Get pve gear noob!" by someone for the Marrowgar weekly...I think its funny that those wrists/pants are some of the best out there (Before ICC) and he got shit for them. Needless to say, we laughed even harder when the raid that rejected him failed hard.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by prodron
    welfare gear returns
    Because 1800 is a million times easier than downing Princes or the Aboms, imirite?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=51431

Is amazing.

Well, I am in no guild. Generally I'm speaking of tanking heroics and I want to try for the Ulduar hard mode achievements. Maybe farm some ICC trash while I try to gear up PvE.
    You're fine for heroics now. The only one that might provide any difficulty would be H HoR. You're also fine to tank regular Ulduar, though a few upgrades wouldn't hurt for a couple of the heroic modes. Your biggest issue will be managing threat against better geared dps.

You're a little under the hit cap, but that can be managed by either replacing the crit gem (bad itemization for bears) you have in your weapon with hit/stam. Also, you are missing a good bit of expertise which seriously impacts your threat and also increases incoming damage from bosses who parry/haste. Once threat generation is less of a concern, you'll definitely want to swap out the mangle glyph for frenzied rejuv.

And as vital as they may be for pvp, you'd be better served by Tuskarr's stam and more consistent speed boost than nitro on your boots, and the stam / defense glyph than the MC enchant on the helm. I don't know how well the armor weave compares to agi on gloves... That's a LOT of armor.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Deleted

imo pvp gear is okay for the sta and agi, but only use 5p fourios and bracers. then go pve offset. the only "real" thing thats awesome is the pvp staff for druids

Relentless gear is GREAT tanking gear.

It blows away T9 and other badge gear in terms of effective health. There really is nothing better until you push into ICC / frost badges, and even then many of the pieces are side-grades at best (many of the leather pieces are very low stamina.)

Don't listen to the guys in this thread who think bears have ANY aggro problems in ICC; you don't. As a tank, effective health is where it is at, not squeezing in an extra 20 DPS. Even if you did have aggro problems, reducing survivability by a lot to gain a tiny little bit extra is not the way to do it: misdirect or tricks.

You're not tanking ICC in pvp gear, you will get kicked immediately

Deleted

heard of guilds?

you'll be kicked from guild even faster.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortano
    Relentless gear is GREAT tanking gear.

It blows away T9 and other badge gear in terms of effective health. There really is nothing better until you push into ICC / frost badges, and even then many of the pieces are side-grades at best (many of the leather pieces are very low stamina.)

Don't listen to the guys in this thread who think bears have ANY aggro problems in ICC; you don't. As a tank, effective health is where it is at, not squeezing in an extra 20 DPS. Even if you did have aggro problems, reducing survivability by a lot to gain a tiny little bit extra is not the way to do it: misdirect or tricks.

Go in tanking in full relentless gear w/ virtually no hit and expertise, and tell me you have no aggro problems. I'm sure your dps will agree you're doing a great job when your opening mangle misses. Or when your taunt fails say on Festergut (but wait, it's not really a big deal to let the other tank get 10 stacks, right?)

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Or how about you don't tank. If you go as a healer or dps, your gear will not be scrutinized nearly as much. Pugs won't give a shit as long as you're not a bottom-dredger.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes
    Right...

I tank very well in, wrathful wrists and wring and relentless boots. Never had a problem. Never been tossed/rejected from a pug because of it. The only thing you really are missing are hit/expertise from pvp gear. I am both hit and expertise caped, infact I'm 32 over cap on hit.
    Okay man, I'm talking about someone with limited raid experience wearing all PvP gear. Not someone with raid experience using 2-3 pieces.

Big difference. His situation is not the same as yours. Telling someone who's starting to tank/gear to take PvP gear over PvE gear is a ball call imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo
    you'll be kicked from guild even faster.
    You guys have an amazing amount of reading comprehension! GJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick
    Go in tanking in full relentless gear w/ virtually no hit and expertise, and tell me you have no aggro problems. I'm sure your dps will agree you're doing a great job when your opening mangle misses. Or when your taunt fails say on Festergut (but wait, it's not really a big deal to let the other tank get 10 stacks, right?)
    And while the smart ass attitude is not needed, not having hit or expertise IS A huge problem which leaves the relentless gear fine for effective health but then when you have to gem for hit... and then expertise... your effective health falls (behind in some cases)

4p T9 + SOME pvp off pieces is already. Full relentless = BAD

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape

Or how about you don't tank. If you go as a healer or dps, your gear will not be scrutinized nearly as much. Pugs won't give a shit as long as you're not a bottom-dredger.
    This^^^ is BS. DPS gear is judged just as harshly as tank and healer gear is in most pugs. I've been called everything from a stupid noob to worthless and even on one occasion told to die because i "wasted" a raid leaders time because of my 2P t8/2P t9 being "old" and i "cant even spend the time to get 4p T9." The hunter in our guild gets shit all the time for his lvl 270 Wrathful legs (which were a huge upgrade from his last legs)
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by rated
    Okay man, I'm talking about someone with limited raid experience wearing all PvP gear. Not someone with raid experience using 2-3 pieces.

Big difference. His situation is not the same as yours. Telling someone who's starting to tank/gear to take PvP gear over PvE gear is a ball call imo.
    Way to selectively quote posts!

Ladies and gentleman, your future politician.
    Wow.

None of the bosses prior to Putricide really require any sort of raid experience. But yea, there are some people who FAIL to see a big ass spore above there head or god forbid some giant ooze on you.

Little off-topic, but we had to pug a healer a few months back..had a Holy Paladin heal up to Putricide 25-man in full Relentless with a few Wrathful pieces.