Can You Have Too Much Haste :S

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...zhul&cn=Oragon

Well that's my armory,

Sitting around 36% in moonkin form, and 778 haste

in my yellow sockets im gemming Haste/SP, with Natures Grace up, my wraiths are up for around 0.9 seconds. do i have to much haste? should i be gemming Crit/SP in the yellow?

Just a couple questions, as this is an alt im just trying to maximize the dps i can do

Thanks

Re: Can You Have Too Much Haste :S

Quote Originally Posted by gronk
    0.9 seconds. do i have to much haste?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Applepie
    your retarded.

Yes, you can have too much haste, but I don't think you do. Having "too much" haste (the soft cap) is only detrimental to solar eclipse when wrath goes below the gcd. Starfire still gets helped out by that haste, so it's not being wasted.

You're only gemming haste with orange gems when you're getting a socket bonus that gives you spellpower. If you were blindly gemming haste, yes, that would be bad, but you're gemming correctly and look fine. You're at the crit softcap, so haste does have slightly more value than crit, so all is right.

The only question I have is why the blue gem in the belt? A runed cardinal ruby would be better their with a blue in one of the blue sockets that gives you more spellpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzyb
    Yes, you can have too much haste, but I don't think you do. Having "too much" haste (the soft cap) is only detrimental to solar eclipse when wrath goes below the gcd. Starfire still gets helped out by that haste, so it's not being wasted.

You're only gemming haste with orange gems when you're getting a socket bonus that gives you spellpower. If you were blindly gemming haste, yes, that would be bad, but you're gemming correctly and look fine. You're at the crit softcap, so haste does have slightly more value than crit, so all is right.

The only question I have is why the blue gem in the belt? A runed cardinal ruby would be better their with a blue in one of the blue sockets that gives you more spellpower.
    He's using the chaotic skyflare diamond which requires 2 blue gems. One in the ring and one in the belt.

i asked myself that question actually, i need two blue gems for my meta to be active

thank you for the tips, unlike the guy above you haha

good to know im at the crit soft cap, ive been trying to get well balanced crit/sp/haste, basically wondering if i should gem crit/sp but its good to know haste is much better atm.

Thanks A lot

-Gronk

Quote Originally Posted by Thryri
    Yes.
    No.

Haste is preferable post crit cap... according to the numbers on armory, you're 11 crit rating above the cap. However, thats not much and you might want to increase that a little gradually. As it is right now, I would say that for you, crit/haste is exactly equal. Don't switch any gems, but make sure not to drop any in crit to fall under soft cap.
    By the way, there is a minor (maybe 1-2 dps) upgrade to use 12SP+10Haste in a single +5 SP yellow gemslot... Not really worth switching now, but for the future.

Actually, you might want to change them with SP+hit gems (guess 2 should be correct, dont remember exact number of hit rating to reach 9% for allies).

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoe
    Actually, you might want to change them with SP+hit gems (guess 2 should be correct, dont remember exact number of hit rating to reach 9% for allies).
    237. So just put 1 sp/hit gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ormula
    He's using the chaotic skyflare diamond which requires 2 blue gems. One in the ring and one in the belt.
    I noticed that, but why put the blue activating gem in a non-blue socket? Wouldn't the free 5 spellpower from the blue socket in the cape be better? It's FREE!

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that you already had your 2 blues where they are and are cheap like me, so 6-7 more dps isn't worth 150g.

Quote Originally Posted by Ormula
    Which is neither here nor there. So he needs 2. Why does that mean he should have one in a prismatic belt slot instead of say his cloak? swap the red gem to the prismatic slot and the blue to the cloak and that's 5 free spellpower.

237. So just put 1 sp/hit gem.
    That's only if you have a Dranei in your group. You shouldn't make gear choices based on group makeup, because you don't know what your group is going to be. Duh.

263 hit.

i would say nearly all alliance groups make sure they have a shaman, shamans must be space cows, thus they have that 1% hit so often that you might as well say its a static buff for alliance.

Incorrect. The shaman buff is group-wide since it is a passive ability and not a raid buff. So, if there's 1 shaman in the raid, you still only have a 20% chance of getting the buff. This is by no means a static buff and should not be relied on to reach hit cap.

Back on topic, the only point where you would have too much haste would be when your starfires get below 1 sec cast during heroism. To my knowledge, this is pretty much impossible.

In the same vein, too much crit would be when your wraths have a 100% critchance.

Those would be what you call ''hard caps", as opposed by ''soft caps'' (when the stat stops improving some of your spells). Both of those partially depend on your raid setup but you'll most likely find yourself above the soft cap in ICC anyway with the hard cap being way out of reach (which it should be). And even if you are slightly below the softcap, it's not the end of the world.

Short answer: No, you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirual
    Back on topic, the only point where you would have too much haste would be when your starfires get below 1 sec cast during heroism. To my knowledge, this is pretty much impossible.
    Pfft, thats only 2853 haste rating... totally doable. 2353 with a haste pot

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoe
    Pfft, thats only 2853 haste rating... totally doable. 2353 with a haste pot
    Okay, I'll clairify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirual
    Back on topic, the only point where you would have too much haste would be when your starfires get below 1 sec cast during heroism. To my knowledge, this is pretty much impossible without severely gimping yourself on crit and sp (and therefore your solar eclipse)

Ok I wasnt actually being serious... Damn non-verbal sarcasm.
    The numbers are correct, but getting that much haste would be riddiculus.

However, I would say the next cap, when crit probably beats haste again, is 1137 haste rating. Which is 1sek wrath/gcd without natures grace...

Deleted

The only time you can have too much haste, is if you don't have enough crit. You could have 800 haste and 25% crit in moonkin form, and then you would DEFINATELY have too much haste

Your general gearing concerns should be:

- Hit cap
    - Soft haste cap (401)
    - Soft crit cap (42% fully raid buffed, idol running, etc)

Once you reach both haste and crit cap, haste and crit are worth more or less the same, with a slight favor to haste. At 36,83% crit and 811 haste unbuffed, 1 point of crit rating is worth ~1,2 DPS and haste is worth ~1,37 DPS. So the difference is minimal. You would want to get gear that gives you both, where it is possible.

And, as for gems, you gem for what you need. If you are below the soft crit cap, use SP/crit in yellow sockets that give you 5 spell power or more from the bonus. Once you go above soft crit cap, go back to gemming SP/haste in yellow sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffoncom
    Incorrect. The shaman buff is group-wide since it is a passive ability and not a raid buff. So, if there's 1 shaman in the raid, you still only have a 20% chance of getting the buff. This is by no means a static buff and should not be relied on to reach hit cap.
    Ehh, im sure you mean draenei - it's not just "alliance shamans" who brings along the racial That being said, boss rooms are large enough that you might find yourself out of range of the draenei in your group, which means you lose the 1% hit. Going above the alliance hit cap is not a terrible loss.