Recommendations?

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd try and tap some of the wide ranging knowledge on the forum to see if there were any gems/nuggets that I've missed and ask for some recommendations.

I'm a big fan of bands like:
    Within Temptation - personally my favourite
    Nightwish
    Lacuna Coil
    Echoes of Eternity
    Kingfisher Sky

I'm also a huge fan of Metallica (pre St. Anger), Ozzy, Maiden, Paradise Lost, Sabbath and a plethora of other bands.

I was wonder if there are any equally good bands, female or male led, focusing on melodic driving riffs without (alot of) the screamy vocals - not a huge fan. I'm a particular fan of Orchestral driven/related metal. Suppose it would be summed up as Power/Melodic/Symphonic Metal if you like to categorise them.

Anyone know of any supposedly little known bands that fit this bill?
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Re: Recommendations?

Globus perhaps, if your into theatrical Opera/Metal.

You seem to have a thing for female-fronted symphonic bands and your list lacks any distinct "flower metal" bands so I'll focus mainly on the feminine names.

I am not very familiar with the following ones, but my understanding is they all resemble the bands you gave;
    Epica
    Therion
    Sirenia
    After Forever
    Leave's Eyes

Less so in the United States, Europe has a huge scene of female-fronted gothic/symphonic bands and you'll likely find dozens more like these.

Band I'm personally more familiar with is Stream of Passion. They're bit rockish with prog elements.

If you wish to try out a male-fronted band, Blind Guardian is a popular choice. I think it might be one of the safer choices too in the ocean of Stratovariuses. Trans-Siberian Orchestra is another one, but they're rather "symphonic winter metal" and make me think of Jingle Bells.

Sonata Arctica is power/melodic speed metal on their earlier albums with later having slowed down the pace with occasionally bringing in more "orchestral" compositions. Their last two albums are rather a mix, steering away from pure power/symphonic/speed metal and trying out to be more progressive. Wouldn't necessarily start out with those if I was you.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Epica I know of, though they only seem to release short singles - pretty good nonetheless.
    After Forever I know, and have seen. Had a pretty long chat with the (very cute) lead.

I don't know Serenia, I'll definitely check them out. Think I heard Leave's Eyes do a cover or something, can't remember the damned name though, but I've been meaning to check them out for a while.

I love female led bands, but I'm not handicapped by that. I like a number of male led as well - Disturbed is a current favourite - I've been into various metal types since I was about 4 years old when I first saw Ozzy! I just pretty much like anything that's got some nice chunky riffs without being thrashy.

I'm not a huge fan of prog, so I've steered away from Steam of Passion.

Sonata Arctica I'm just getting into. A bit of a mixed bag for me so far, but I have an open mind.

I'll definitely give Trans-Siberian Orchestra a go.

If I may suggest, if you like rock with a bit of Progressive Bite - try out Touchstone. British band, fairly new and started making their presence known. I'd recommend Black Tide and/or Wintercoast.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrel
    I'm not a huge fan of prog, so I've steered away from Steam of Passion.
    While I have not heard them in a long time, I don't think it's that present in their music. I actually would say people consider them more progressive than they really are just because they're a project by Arjen Lucassen who is a famous musician in the said field.

If I was you, I would give them a fast spin and see how it sounds like.
    Probably their most famous song if my memory serves me right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW9UALTrtoo

Thank you for the tips, I have heard of Touchstone before, but never tried them out.

Well I'm slightly bias as their lead vocalist is my sister But they are definitely a good band.

I'm a fan of Arjen Luccassen, which is possibly odd considering my overall thoughts about prog. I was sold after his last independent venture - The Guilt Machine - Perfection was just a work of genius. Utter genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrel
    I'm a fan of Arjen Luccassen, which is possibly odd considering my overall thoughts about prog. I was sold after his last independent venture - The Guilt Machine - Perfection was just a work of genius. Utter genius.
    Hug me.

On topic:
    These bands are a little off, having male vocalists, but;
    The Rasmus (THE, Not Rasmus, hes a random swedish guy).
    Dommin
    Apocalyptica, but I presume you've already heard them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I would kill a old god.

Within Temptation is awesome. I personally love Frozen and What Have you Done. What about Skillet? It's a nice band in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmL-J1IghZM- My favorite song