Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto....holy crap

http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars...esto#more-1891
    First let me start off in saying that this "manifesto" is extremely ambitious. That being said, HOLYCRAPITLOOKSAWESOME. what do y'all think about WoW having maybe not competition but some healthy rivalry with GW2. (since cat is coming very close to the launch of GW2 and the reveal of both trailers was within a week of each other) we already know that arena net experimented with the traditional wow formula with Aion and got as close as anyone has gotten so far, so with the level immersion that they are talking about that is "just the tip of the iceberg" for this mmo that we've known about for about 3-4 years now. will any of y'all play both or abandon wow if this manifesto is indeed true?

Re: Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto....holy crap

We'll see. Every game company when trying to sell their upcoming title they come off as extremely ambitious.

At least they aren't just saying "WELL IT'S FREE TO PLAY!!!1" as it's primary selling feature, which is false in a way. It's not exactly free to play since you need to BUY the game, not requiring a monthly subscription is the right thing to say.

Really their plan was to release a fifty dollar standalone expansion every six months to a year, which worked out fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleina
    (since cat is coming very close to the launch of GW2 and the reveal of both trailers was within a week of each other)
    lolwut. Arenanet have said GW2 is a 2011 release, and judging by all the cataclysm stuff, that's definitely a 2010 launch.

we already know that arena net experimented with the traditional wow formula with Aion
    Aion is an NCSoft MMO. NCSoft own Arenanet, but don't have any hand in the development of Arenanet games, ie Guild Wars.

will any of y'all play both or abandon wow if this manifesto is indeed true?
    I suspect a large number of people will try it out, Chat channels will fill with people talking about what's different from WoW for a while - and then the people who only buy it to try it out (nothing wrong with this) will leave, and the game will settle into it's own vibe. I don't expect many WoW players to switch - after all, they're VERY different games - but I'm damn sure I'll be playing it as my main MMO.

Wonder if they'll update that mystery picture today and then reveal the whole thing tommorow.

Oh and in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://img714.yfrog.com/img714/8789/img2zu.jpg

Apparently there's going to be some huge anouncement soon, as in today or tommorow soon. Probably reveal the classes as that's what the picture implies to me.

So brace yourselves

There's a clarification of that picture on facebook with an elementalist firmly in the center. So I'm guessing that you're right in your guess about the announcement of the classes.

Most likely, if it's not got a monthly subscription fee, the amount of support and game updates will be quite limited.
    In a MMO that's a bad thing. Otherwise there will be cheaters all around, ruining your game.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    Most likely, if it's not got a monthly subscription fee, the amount of support and game updates will be quite limited.
    In a MMO that's a bad thing. Otherwise there will be cheaters all around, ruining your game.
    You clearly haven't played GW1 very much. (i know this sounds like i'm an idiot fanboy, but bear with me)
    botting and/or macroing in GW1 earns you....nothing a normal player couldn't make. gold/platinum was immensely easy to get just by doing...well, anything..! and if anyone ever attempted to cheat in a pvp match, be it hero arenas, GvG, whatever - I never saw any news about it, ever, and Arenanet would've come down hard on anyone who did.

Second, throughout the game's lifespan they've provided a very high level of service, with frequent balance and bugfix patches.
    the key here is that GW doesn't do it the same way WoW does, with several content patches every year. Instead, they put out another whole Campaign - ie, a whole new continent - every year or so. So they're getting a decent income from box sales of not only the original game, but also the other campaigns.