Poll: Is Guild Wars 2 a threat?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Is Guild Wars 2 a major Threat for WoW?

This will go the same way as every other mmo.

It will have new ideas that look amazing. Those ideas will look good on paper, or in previews, but will suck in game.
    They will release it too quickly so any hope it did have will be destroyed because people want a nice, shiny, polished game, which wont happen.
    They will make their game based off WoW, trying to take things from WoW and make them better, or take things we don't like in WoW and fix them. This never works because new games aren't balanced. They take time. WoW was terrible for a long time after release, and people don't have patience.

Just like all the other very good mmos that have come out, people would rather just pay WoW then wait for the cheap knockoff to fix itself. The sad world of non-WoW mmos. They may be good, but the WoW players are comfortable with WoW. The only thing that will kill WoW will be the next Blizz mmo since the major mmo community trusts them to make a good game.

I think Guildwars 2 will be the one MMO with a fighting chance to get close to WoW's success. It definitely wont tear WoW down; nothing will, there will always be people who play it and people have played wow for 5 years now, it's hard to peel them off of a game they have grown on.

The reason i think Guildwars 2 will be a good MMO is because they are fixing what people didn't like with the first game. They are raising the level cap to 60 to make it so you don't have an alt of every class. They are allowing us to jump..... finally. And I'm not sure about dungeons/instances but I remember hearing somewhere that they are making actual raids like wow has. Arena Net has also had a ton of time to realize what the MMO community wants because this is the second installment, not the first.

Guild Wars 1 was supposed to be the mmo that would kill WoW cause it was free(only the game needed to buy) and for his supperior to WoW graphics.That never happened.Cause the main problem of GW was this:when you go to the outer world(out of towns i mean) there are NO other players out there(except if you are in a party but still no other players) so it turned out to be a "lonely" mmo.I know that cause i was playing GW before.As for the new GW2 all i see are great graphics but....they still want to stick with that "lonely" world to avoid the lags...GW2 is a game that their creators believe that it would kill WoW cause fo his graphics...as many other mmos(AoC,Warhammer online etc etc) and that was their biggest mistakes.
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Miltiadhs
    Guild Wars 1 was supposed to be the mmo that would kill WoW cause it was free(only the game needed to buy) and for his supperior to WoW graphics.That never happened.Cause the main problem of GW was this:when you go to the outer world(out of towns i mean) there are NO other players out there(except if you are in a party but still no other players) so it turned out to be a "lonely" mmo.I know that cause i was playing GW before.As for the new GW2 all i see are great graphics but....they still want to stick with that "lonely" world to avoid the lags...GW2 is a game that their creators believe that it would kill WoW cause fo his graphics...as many other mmos(AoC,Warhammer online etc etc) and that was their biggest mistakes.
    Where have you been getting your info? The outside world is being non-instanced for GW2. In addition to that all outside content scales (events) to how many players are doing the event. To top that off, loot/rewards are also scaled according to how much involvement you put in. also there is no "tagging" of mobs. What part of this sounds lonely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar
    This will go the same way as every other mmo.

It will have new ideas that look amazing. Those ideas will look good on paper, or in previews, but will suck in game.
    They will release it too quickly so any hope it did have will be destroyed because people want a nice, shiny, polished game, which wont happen.
    They will make their game based off WoW, trying to take things from WoW and make them better, or take things we don't like in WoW and fix them. This never works because new games aren't balanced. They take time. WoW was terrible for a long time after release, and people don't have patience.

Just like all the other very good mmos that have come out, people would rather just pay WoW then wait for the cheap knockoff to fix itself. The sad world of non-WoW mmos. They may be good, but the WoW players are comfortable with WoW. The only thing that will kill WoW will be the next Blizz mmo since the major mmo community trusts them to make a good game.
    And GW2 has been in closed alpha for about the past year to get balanced, and they've stated several times that they are "playing" the game not "developing" the game. Which says that they're almost ready to release.

Actually I'm quite interested in Guild Wars 2 now because of the way they're making their quests. It is vastly different from WoW and if implemented properly could turn out to be something special.
    Read here:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...vents-overview

Quote Originally Posted by Miltiadhs
    Well the idea is that you get your social interraction in towns and cities, meet and make a party then go out into the rest of the world and kick ass unhindered by the rest of the player base.

From what i've heard GW2 has taken a few more steps towards a more social approach, instead you now have multiple servers with a playerbase and some of the outside world isn't instanced (to accomodate for the World vs World PvP). Guild Wars has a good system going on where Skill and class setup > Gear/Level.

I just wish they'd let you use 7 heroes rather than having to rely on henchmen if you're going alone.

Also don't take what I said about server based population and open world too seriously, it's just hearsay.

10+ Year Old Account

The only wow killer that was even mildly enjoyable was warhammer, and this is sooooo dead now. GW2 will be just as subpar as GW1 is.

As much as I would love to play a different MMO :P