Poll: Well..... are ya?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Are you excited about the return of 'Triage' style healing?

I've always been a triage-style healer. Whenever I look at healing meters, I'm nothing special. But when I look at overhealing, I'm way at the bottom. Also, I'm always that guy who is sitting at full mana while the priest is yelling at me to drop mana tide.

So yeah, I'm excited.

10+ Year Old Account

Triage healing? lol

As it stands, healing is very involving on hard fights and you're worried more about keeping people afloat than constantly cancel-casting for the fear of going oom and I like it this way. For the people who think this style will be more "fun"...really? How is staring at your mana bar better than being very active in the way you heal. They've already said that damage in Cataclysm will be more predictable and less spikey, but I don't understand how this is supposed to make any more "tense" or "fun". Really? Are healers going to turn into arcane mages? Oh yes, because staring at your mana bar the entire fight is so fun.

:|
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart
    Triage healing? lol
    Triage involves prioritizing patients based on the seriousness of their condition. It's a term used to refer to rationing patient treatment between patients when there aren't enough resources to treat them all immediately. It's exactly what Blizz has stated that they want to push towards. I know grammar is hard and all, but really, if you don't understand a term at least look it up.

As far as Vanilla healing? No, that would be horrible. It was horrible then and would be impossible to implement now. Vanilla healing was based around having 15 healers in a raid and utilizing healer rotations. Over-healing was essentially a sin, but the design also required a large number of healers to prevent people going OOM while also handling the very high incoming damage. It's something that isn't possible in a 10/25 raid configuration. 10s need to be possible with 3 or fewer and 25s need to be possible with 7 or fewer.

The model that Blizz does need to bring back is Burning Crusade and not surprisingly, that's exactly what a lot of their changes are promoting. Cataclysm is thus far looking like TBC v2. Which is a very, very good thing. In terms of what that means for healing? Over-healing will need to be avoided as much as possible, but you'll be able to take part in the full battle. This differs from Vanilla where you often had healers doing nothing for 20+ second periods to conserve mana. So in that manner triage is exactly right. Resources will be tighter so we can't just flying heals around on a whim anymore, but at the same time we will need to be active.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by magik8ball
    I've always been a triage-style healer. Whenever I look at healing meters, I'm nothing special. But when I look at overhealing, I'm way at the bottom. Also, I'm always that guy who is sitting at full mana while the priest is yelling at me to drop mana tide.

So yeah, I'm excited.
    Aye, I had a healer in VoA10 yesterday bitchin at me because I was about 5% behind him on healing done(of course this doesn't count absorbs, so I was actualy ahead, but I couldn't be bother explaining that to him), I then linked him the Overhealing, where he was top with 50(!!!)% of the overhealing done, and I was fourth, behind a Shadowpriest and a Blood DK. Healing SMART>>>Healing Hard
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Triage healing? lol

As it stands, healing is very involving on hard fights and you're worried more about keeping people afloat than constantly cancel-casting for the fear of going oom and I like it this way. For the people who think this style will be more "fun"...really? How is staring at your mana bar better than being very active in the way you heal. They've already said that damage in Cataclysm will be more predictable and less spikey, but I don't understand how this is supposed to make any more "tense" or "fun". Really? Are healers going to turn into arcane mages? Oh yes, because staring at your mana bar the entire fight is so fun.

:|
    managing a resource is fun. spamming a spell infinitely is not. how can something be fun, if it doesn't involve some thought?
    My RP Character №1 - Trillium Starwind - Night Elf Druid/Warrior
    My RP Character №2 - in progress, creating

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd
    Aye, I had a healer in VoA10 yesterday bitchin at me because I was about 5% behind him on healing done(of course this doesn't count absorbs, so I was actualy ahead, but I couldn't be bother explaining that to him), I then linked him the Overhealing, where he was top with 50(!!!)% of the overhealing done, and I was fourth, behind a Shadowpriest and a Blood DK. Healing SMART>>>Healing Hard
    Currently, I'd argue that healing smart is just dumb. The holypriest is a great example where split second decisionmaking, mana planning, varied spell utilization and taking advantage of every single stat in the game...

.. is a strategy that doesn't really take you that far. What you really want to do is to reroll a druid, stack spellpower like there is no tomorrow, and spam you #1 key. Much more efficient.

And in lieu of that, the new way of healing will be good. Hopefully blizzard don't fsck this up. I don't want to see a system where a class is spamming a single heal repeatedly because it's just that good. I don't want to see a class that removes the blue bars from their UI to save real estate. I don't want to see a class that states that stat X is useless because their effective cap for stat X is achieved at blue gear levels. I don't want to see a situation where class X is benched because you need 3 of the OP class Y to down the boss.

We'll have to see. But I welcome the return of TBH healing.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Grunt
    15+ Year Old Account

I don't really like the changes I'm not really into this healing priority. Right now priests (holy) are actually the hardest class to heal with because you have so many spells for some many different situations while the rest just spams it's holy light, rejuv, chain heal or Power Word: Shield.

As far as overhealing goes, I'm mostly at bottom and top3 of healing done in ICC25 which is quite a prestation as I have the worst gear of all the healers in the guild yet I still manage to top meters. There is also alot of discussion going on, "priest must become top healers again bla bla", they are actually top healers IF you know how to heal, I don't think there's a large group out here who knows how to heal as a priest.

But anyway I don't like the new healing and tbh I prefer TBC healing over everything. TBC was the best content I've ever experienced and I wish they would bring that style back.
    xquzive -

Are you kidding?

I loved TBC healing. Tank healing with GH rank1 unless they really needed GH rank7 or that RIGHT NOW FH. I am happy they've made holy priest talents a big more uniform, though. I always hated having 1 priest to spec way down into Disc for imp. spirit buff. Not saying I didn't have enough to press, but not having CoH in some situations kind of sucked.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Trillivm
    managing a resource is fun. spamming a spell infinitely is not. how can something be fun, if it doesn't involve some thought?
    Because druids only have one spell??
    Look! Words!

Yes I am very excited.Forcing you to use your healing spells efficiently is something that sounds very interesting to me.

Because druids only have one spell??
    No, but the point is they rarely need to use more than one. Typical healing involved just hitting Wild Growth on cooldown and then spamming Rejuv the rest of the time nearly at random.

I've done this to prove a point on my Druid before on Blood Queen: Keep rejuv on groups 3, 4, 5, the two tanks and myself. Do absolutely nothing else. When haste capped as Resto you can keep Rejuv on 18 people simultaneously, each ticking for 3.4k every 3 seconds. With the new 15% buff that would be 3.9k instead. And yes, that means just spamming a single spell, if over-healing was 0% that would be 20-24k HPS. In reality over-healing was ~55%, bringing that down to a measly 11k HPS (was under the 10% buff when doing this). Still, it proved the point to our other Druid that being 'clever' wasn't the proper course of action (he was an HT spec).

That's the issue with Wrath healing. We have these incredibly powerful filler spells which can just be spammed non-stop for the entire duration of fights. Rejuv for me right now is nearly 24k healing per cast, but I can blanket a raid with it all I want and never get punished. The only reason I use more buttons is because Wild Growth is even stronger, Nourish and Swiftmend can exploit chances to get low over-healing and Nourish on tanks is sexy. Doesn't really change the problem, for any healer. We have no mana issues and our heals do too much in relation to health pool size. So healing has become a bit of a joke.

I honestly dont think ppl who say "Yeah for Vanilla healing" did any of it.

I dont know how it was for Druids or Pallies, but for a Holy Priest, it was a complete joke. Rank 1 GH, go...and go...and go..Never run out of mana. Or better yet, do you all remember that emergency healing thing that CT_Raid had? That thing used to actually tell you who to heal; kinda like the old 1 button decursive mod when that would tell you who to decurse hah.

Vanilla healing.....yeah right, where 1 Hot was allowed on each person. The person with the most SP always had their stuff going while anyone else couldnt cast, cuz there was already a more powerful spell going.

Anyways, changes to healing are always fun, just until you get used to it, then it becomes the same old thing all over again.

Whack a mole or trying to conserve mana and heal the smart heal...everyone has their style, and in the end, as long as they are having fun and you are winning, who cares.

15+ Year Old Account

I healed pretty much every raid in vanilla (with occasionally dapping into shadow) and liked it. Completely stopped healing (besides 5mans) in TBC and Lich King. I am really looking forward to the triage style healing akin to vanilla again (without healer rotations though because 2 people healing while 5 are regenerating mana sucks) - makes me wanna try healing in raids again.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account

What's not to get excited about.
    The current thought process while healing is close to: "OMG DAMAGE! MUST HEAL!". Someone takes damage and must be healed instantly. And as soon as you have to start making actual decisions, because a healer died, or someone screwed up, people will die fast. It get's really annoying.
    I really hope we will come to a model where not everyone has to be topped off at every moment. Where who, when and how I heal becomes more important then "OMG DAMAGE EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!" renewing/ flash healing everything.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kalten
    I honestly dont think ppl who say "Yeah for Vanilla healing" did any of it.

I dont know how it was for Druids or Pallies, but for a Holy Priest, it was a complete joke. Rank 1 GH, go...and go...and go..Never run out of mana. Or better yet, do you all remember that emergency healing thing that CT_Raid had? That thing used to actually tell you who to heal; kinda like the old 1 button decursive mod when that would tell you who to decurse hah.
    If you remember that, you should remember also how decursive is different back then compared to now.

And you are terribad, if you just used tank 1 GH. More like rank 4 heal and GH / FH as necessary. Which dhows how much you know about Vanilla healing. Probably as hearsay.

Vanilla healing.....yeah right, where 1 Hot was allowed on each person. The person with the most SP always had their stuff going while anyone else couldnt cast, cuz there was already a more powerful spell going.
    /shrug, not like Hot back then does anything noticeable.

Anyways, changes to healing are always fun, just until you get used to it, then it becomes the same old thing all over again.

Whack a mole or trying to conserve mana and heal the smart heal...everyone has their style, and in the end, as long as they are having fun and you are winning, who cares.
    Really, I bet you never healed a holy priest on vanilla. You really don't understand how priest healed back then. (or you just being exceptional bad at it?)

: Don't talk about Vanilla healing and mention Flash Heal. If it was on your bars, you were bad. GH 1 healed for more and cost less. Also, the '1 HoT' thing only applied to that one specific spell. So a target couldn't have 2 Renews, or 2 Rejuvs, etc. Also, that wasn't even around for all of Vanilla. Which is good; Renew was very strong in Vanilla once SP based gear become common at the T2+ level. As far as GH 1/4? You're thinking of Burning Crusade, not Vanilla. GH rank 4 in TBC was a very common spell to use for one simple reason: That was the minimum rank you could use with good SP scaling at 70. GH1 was bread and butter at 60, GH4 was only used if you happened to be in the tank rotation. Pre-AQ it might have got some extra use, but not afterward. Sounds to me like you at most played deep Holy in Vanilla, which was silly. The standard DS builds didn't do what you're claiming. At least not if they were half decent.

Either way, the plan looks more like TBC healing minus down-ranking than Vanilla healing. Which is a good thing.

I wasn't around for vanilla raiding, and in TBC I played tank. Throughout most of WotLK I've been playing my druid tank/dps and my Hunter. I only recently got my priest to 80, and started healing. I picked it up pretty quickly and was able to duo heal ICC 10 my first time ever in a raid.

My problem is going to be that I've never healed any other style than what we have now, so it will be like learning it all over again.

But that might be why it's going to be good. I say bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    : Don't talk about Vanilla healing and mention Flash Heal. If it was on your bars, you were bad. GH 1 healed for more and cost less. Also, the '1 HoT' thing only applied to that one specific spell. So a target couldn't have 2 Renews, or 2 Rejuvs, etc. Also, that wasn't even around for all of Vanilla. Which is good; Renew was very strong in Vanilla once SP based gear become common at the T2+ level. As far as GH 1/4? You're thinking of Burning Crusade, not Vanilla. GH rank 4 in TBC was a very common spell to use for one simple reason: That was the minimum rank you could use with good SP scaling at 70. GH1 was bread and butter at 60, GH4 was only used if you happened to be in the tank rotation. Pre-AQ it might have got some extra use, but not afterward. Sounds to me like you at most played deep Holy in Vanilla, which was silly. The standard DS builds didn't do what you're claiming. At least not if they were half decent.

Either way, the plan looks more like TBC healing minus down-ranking than Vanilla healing. Which is a good thing.
    Lol... no SP wasn't common at vanilla vanilla. (as in BWL being the *top* raid).

No, I am not thinking GH. Read, HEAL rank 4. specifically. That's the most efficient heal it was back then. As in naf being the end boss. Again, this shows you never did the MC > BWL back then. So, please, stop showing more your non-existent knowledge on healing back then.

Later on, the AQ ..ZG... nax... which alot have changed for those "patches" for healers already. More mana, SP were much more accessible...etc.

And the best healing talent / spec wasn't holy back then. Stupid lightwell / holynova was crap. go far enough into disc to get DS and the rest mostly holy and a couple last points in disc or holy. Like a 2X/2X variant kinda deal.

Again, you seemed to have no idea what are talking about. No flash heal on your bar? Dude, that was the heal to use on trash. And sometimes needed if your other healers lags / DC whatnot. You just didn't went through vanilla healing admit it, and stop pretending you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalten

I dont know how it was for Druids or Pallies, but for a Holy Priest, it was a complete joke.
    Holy pallies barely healed since blessing were 5 min long ... their job was to not let the buff fall off anyone of the 40 ppl in the raid >.<
    but yes ... holy priest healing was a joke back then ( there was no such thing as a disc priest )

btw , say hello to my old guild Ad Honores

I don't think its going to be what you expect. Most likely people will always be topped off, instead of you constantly topping them off.

There either can't be much raid damage, or there can't be much triage. You can't have both.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.