Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Low fps CCC (radeon hd 4870) question

Hey, I had another thread in here awhile back where nothing conclusive about my low fps in-game was ever reached. I hit about 13 fps in 25m raids with or without addons and screen res between highest (1920x1200) and lowest (800x600). I'm running a sapphire radeon hd 4870 with 1gb of ddr5 which should slaughter wow hands down and I'm really confused why it doesn't.

I'm gonna just list my thoughts behind it and see if through brainstorming or something we can just figure out what's going on (if someone doesn't mind helping).

1) I don't think it's wow based. As stated earlier, different in-game settings don't net a gain or loss
    2) Wattage. My motherboard says my pcie2.0 slot 1 is running at 25w which to me seems way too low. However I know that wattage or other bios sensors may read incorrectly, so I don't want to adjust it too high, but I believe that's what my bottleneck is.
    3) Clock speed. I went through CCC last night and adjusted my memory and core clock to be higher - card was only running about 3°C hotter than normal (still in the green) but did not notice any fps increase leading me back to #2
    4) DEP. DEP is disabled on my computer (I turned it off) and I've heard that causes some incompatabilities and weird things to happen. Have not re-enabled it. Don't know if it will make a difference (don't think it will).
    5) CCC reads my card running at 800mhz in game so it >looks< like it's running full speed. However I get 20-30 fps in dal with low load.

I don't have my motherboard model with me right now (that would have been helpful) but I think that it's something with the configuration of the wattage atm. I've got the card hooked up with the pcie power cord directly from the psu (650w corsair psu) so there should be enough power to it and I shouldn't have to adjust the wattage in my bios.

Also, my bios lacks the option to manually tune clock speeds or frequencies of my video card(s) (only have one card in there atm). The only option I have is wattage which is reading 25w for the first slot and 75w for the other two. I have not tried swapping the pcie slots, but could do that later (I'm at work right now).

Any helpful advice would be great, 'cause I'm sick of this lackluster fps when I should be able to just run ultra.

Thanks, and I have no problem paypaling someone 20$ if they can solve this once and for all. <- that desperate.
    “Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.”
    Please check out My Mixes

Re: Low fps CCC (radeon hd 4870) question

What processor do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixia
    What processor do you have?
    Sorry, forgot to post the rest of my system specs

AMD Phenom x4 2.5ghz (quad-core)
    6gb ddr2 800mhz ram
    win 7 x64

Hmm, your PC is good enough for wow... Have you checked your temperature on both your CPU and graphics card?

Hmm, your PC is good enough for wow... Have you checked your temperature on both your CPU and graphics card?
    Yes, both are normal: I've got an antec 900 case. Everything stays nice and cool =D

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpid
    2) Wattage. My motherboard says my pcie2.0 slot 1 is running at 25w which to me seems way too low. However I know that wattage or other bios sensors may read incorrectly, so I don't want to adjust it too high, but I believe that's what my bottleneck is.
    I think PCIe can deliver about 75W but 4870 requires more then that so I wouldn't be surprised if it took all the power it needs directly from the power supply.

5) CCC reads my card running at 800mhz in game so it >looks< like it's running full speed. However I get 20-30 fps in dal with low load.
    30 fps isn't that bad if you have everything on high. How much do you have in for example storm peaks?

Hey, I had another thread in here awhile back where nothing conclusive about my low fps in-game was ever reached. I hit about 13 fps in 25m raids with or without addons and screen res between highest (1920x1200) and lowest (800x600). I'm running a sapphire radeon hd 4870 with 1gb of ddr5 which should slaughter wow hands down and I'm really confused why it doesn't.

1) I don't think it's wow based. As stated earlier, different in-game settings don't net a gain or loss

I don't have my motherboard model with me right now (that would have been helpful) but I think that it's something with the configuration of the wattage atm. I've got the card hooked up with the pcie power cord directly from the psu (650w corsair psu) so there should be enough power to it and I shouldn't have to adjust the wattage in my bios.

Also, my bios lacks the option to manually tune clock speeds or frequencies of my video card(s) (only have one card in there atm). The only option I have is wattage which is reading 25w for the first slot and 75w for the other two. I have not tried swapping the pcie slots, but could do that later (I'm at work right now).
    Hmm, it sounds like your motherboard, although i cannot comment on it or your setup at the moment as you don't know what model it is. Make sure that the card is plugged in properly (should be flat, no pins visible), and the card's plastic holder is locked. - Then make sure you actually have 2 6pin plugs connected to it properly (or the proper adapters on the correct 4pin plugs - not sure what power cables your PSU has) :P
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

I think PCIe can deliver about 75W but 4870 requires more then that so I wouldn't be surprised if it took all the power it needs directly from the power supply.

30 fps isn't that bad if you have everything on high. How much do you have in for example storm peaks?
    30 fps is bad imo, and everything's on ultra atm. In stormpeaks I have about 50, 60 if I'm not looking down. But unfortunately, raids aren't scheduled by flying around stormpeaks my fps is almost unbearable in 25m (which is the only thing I raid) and I'm looking for any ideas to improve it. You may be right about the card taking the power directly from the psu, as that was a similar thought I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura
    Hmm, it sounds like your motherboard, although i cannot comment on it or your setup at the moment as you don't know what model it is. Make sure that the card is plugged in properly (should be flat, no pins visible), and the card's plastic holder is locked. - Then make sure you actually have 2 6pin plugs connected to it properly (or the proper adapters on the correct 4pin plugs - not sure what power cables your PSU has) :P
    I have actual pcie power connectors coming off my psu (4pins) and the card only takes a 4pin. I know it's properly plugged in - is there any way to test if it's getting enough power?

I also think that the 25w is way too low for the card. Anyone have any idea on recommended settings for it?

15+ Year Old Account

I know that nVidia drivers will warn you if the card isn't receiving enough power. I'm not sure if ATi drivers will do the same.

As far as your framerate drop in 25-man raids, I believe I'd seen a setting specific to first generation Phenoms that caused a decrease in performance. I cannot, however, remember what it is. Anyone else remember? Other than that, I'd possibly just suggest that your CPU is slightly underpowered for max fps 25-man raiding with all the bells and whistles. You could try some of the things in the fps thread and see if they help.

Ok im running same graphic card but diferent system then m8 before but experiencing same problems, i have very low dps in dala and 25man. My system is: Asus P5QL Pro, Core 2 Quad 9550 @ 2.83GHz, 4Gb Ram and as mentioned Ati Radeon 4870 1gb... I tried overclocking graphics but that didnt give no results, so i think its completely graphic card problem, unfortunately i dunno how to see how much voltage card is using so i cant give that information, maybe it would be usefull. I hope someone have usefull tips on this topic that will be able to solve problems we have.

Maybe the motherboards integrated graphics card is trying to run some sort of crossfire with the PCIe one. WoW doesn't support crossfire which means only the motherboards graphics card would work, resulting in poor performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Amir20v
    i have very low dps in dala
    Yeahh thats never good <3

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    I know that nVidia drivers will warn you if the card isn't receiving enough power. I'm not sure if ATi drivers will do the same.

As far as your framerate drop in 25-man raids, I believe I'd seen a setting specific to first generation Phenoms that caused a decrease in performance. I cannot, however, remember what it is. Anyone else remember? Other than that, I'd possibly just suggest that your CPU is slightly underpowered for max fps 25-man raiding with all the bells and whistles. You could try some of the things in the fps thread and see if they help.
    It's essentially running as a 10ghz processor (2.5x4) If that's underpowered for wow, I'd hate to see what overpower was lol I don't think my processor's too slow, but I hadn't heard about the 1st gen phenoms running slower - in fact, it seems to be running pretty fast to me. Here's the caches and speed for it:
    L1 Cache: 512kb
    L2: 2048kb
    L3: 2048kb
    @ 2500mhz

EDIT: unless you're referring to "AMD Cool & Quiet" which I have disabled ('cause it reduces performance when enabled)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir20v
    Ok im running same graphic card but diferent system then m8 before but experiencing same problems, i have very low dps in dala and 25man. My system is: Asus P5QL Pro, Core 2 Quad 9550 @ 2.83GHz, 4Gb Ram and as mentioned Ati Radeon 4870 1gb... I tried overclocking graphics but that didnt give no results, so i think its completely graphic card problem, unfortunately i dunno how to see how much voltage card is using so i cant give that information, maybe it would be usefull. I hope someone have usefull tips on this topic that will be able to solve problems we have.
    If it's the card, (which I don't think is the case but quite possible) have you tried swapping out cards? I ran two 8800gt's before this (seeing as how this one is a massive upgrade) expecting different results. I got about the same fps in raids.

Maybe the motherboards integrated graphics card is trying to run some sort of crossfire with the PCIe one. WoW doesn't support crossfire which means only the motherboards graphics card would work, resulting in poor performance.
    I have onboard disabled, so I doubt that's it.

I'm going to try reformatting today and see if that helps. Gonna just install wow on it and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help so far, will post back here with results!

15+ Year Old Account

It's essentially running as a 10ghz processor (2.5x4) If that's underpowered for wow, I'd hate to see what overpower was lol I don't think my processor's too slow, but I hadn't heard about the 1st gen phenoms running slower - in fact, it seems to be running pretty fast to me. Here's the caches and speed for it:
    L1 Cache: 512kb
    L2: 2048kb
    L3: 2048kb
    @ 2500mhz
    That's a gross mis-understanding of how multi-core CPUs work. The cores speeds aren't additive. Each core is still only 2.5GHz, which is frankly a bit slow to have everything maxed out during 25-man raids. What's your multisample rate set at? If it's 4X or 8X, try dropping it to 2X and see how your framerate is.

That's a gross mis-understanding of how multi-core CPUs work. The cores speeds aren't additive. Each core is still only 2.5GHz, which is frankly a bit slow to have everything maxed out during 25-man raids. What's your multisample rate set at? If it's 4X or 8X, try dropping it to 2X and see how your framerate is.
    I've set it to 2x and have noticed no difference in fps

And I was just referring to how they run (2.5ghz per core, but each core with load a total running term of 10ghz - unless wow only supports 2 cores in which case it'd be 5ghz) in respect to less strain per core with total maximum output being higher. Sorry for not clarifying =P

I lowered the shadow quality just 1lvl bellow highest and result is obvious, i got around 40fps compared to 20-25 i had before its a huge diference, i wonder what kind of machine u must have to run everything on ultra?

That would be something I think called the TLB.
    From my rather vague understanding, it is related to the cache and how in specific circumstances, data can be "missed" or not found, resulting in instability.
    Therefore the feature, which is a performance increase is disabled by default in many bios's, and few have the option to turn it off.

Here is a link to a instructions to do so, though it has to be done from windows.

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-...;f=13;t=000111

Playing around with it myself, but not seeing any substantial performance gains as of yet.
    AMD Overdrive seems to be an option, but at least from what I read, the option is hidden under the turbo mode, and not a specific toggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

15+ Year Old Account

I've set it to 2x and have noticed no difference in fps

And I was just referring to how they run (2.5ghz per core, but each core with load a total running term of 10ghz - unless wow only supports 2 cores in which case it'd be 5ghz) in respect to less strain per core with total maximum output being higher. Sorry for not clarifying =P
    That's still a misunderstanding of how multi-core CPUs work. It's like saying "I have 4 cars that are each 4-cylinder engines, so I have a 16-cylinder engine." It just doesn't work that way. A quad-core CPU can take more load, but it can't run that load at any faster speed than a single core is rated.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd
    That would be something I think called the TLB.
    From my rather vague understanding, it is related to the cache and how in specific circumstances, data can be "missed" or not found, resulting in instability.
    Therefore the feature, which is a performance increase is disabled by default in many bios's, and few have the option to turn it off.

Here is a link to a instructions to do so, though it has to be done from windows.

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-...;f=13;t=000111

Playing around with it myself, but not seeing any substantial performance gains as of yet.
    AMD Overdrive seems to be an option, but at least from what I read, the option is hidden under the turbo mode, and not a specific toggle.
    That was, in fact, what I meant. I have heard that disabling it can result in a gain, but I haven't had a modern AMD CPU to try it.

check the settings of the game in your WTF config file and compare it to your ingame. also add SET processAffinityMask "15" to the end of your WTF config file aswell.

i literally JUST did this after about a year of having the same issues and my frame rate jumped up around 10-15fps WHILE AT THE SAME TIME! i also increased all graphics settings to as high as possible.

i use to have all settings set to max EXCEPT for multi sampling being set to 1x, shadows set to about middle and partical density set to about middle. i also have full screen glow and death effect turned off and i play at 1920x1080 rez.

i'm now at full partical density, shadow detail the same *i don't really need to see shadows of things that are 10 miles away which is what full shadows does* and multi sampling set to 8x.

i WAS at around 25-30fps in dal, i'm now at 40-45fps. 25mans use to be around mid 20's, now is probably mid 30's to low 40's *not tested yet*. i use to have to use Fraps recording set to half screen setting, now it's at full screen and never dipping below 30fps.

my system is as follows:

CPU - Q9600 quad core 2.8ghz
    memory - 6gb memory DDR2 800
    Harddrives - 320gb X2 in Raid
    Video - ATI HD4870 X2 *dual GPU, not 2 cards* (1gb video memory) OC'd to 550core / 850memory over 350core / 400memory stock.
    Current rig: Custom
    CPU - i7 980x @ 4.34ghz
    MEM - 12gb DDR3 1866 @ 1876mhz / CL7
    VIDEO - HD5970 @ 950core / 1253memory w/ 10.10+10.10a profiles
    MB - ASUS Rampage III Extreme w/ BIOS 0903

15+ Year Old Account

The processAffinityMask tip is in the fps sticky, which should be the first thing anyone with a problem reads in this forum.