Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Low fps CCC (radeon hd 4870) question

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    That's still a misunderstanding of how multi-core CPUs work. It's like saying "I have 4 cars that are each 4-cylinder engines, so I have a 16-cylinder engine." It just doesn't work that way. A quad-core CPU can take more load, but it can't run that load at any faster speed than a single core is rated.
    Right, that's what I was clarifying - Each one runs at 2.5ghz in that if completely maxed, it would be simultaneously processing 10ghz worth of data not that it IS processing at 10ghz. That make more sense?

After reformat I'm at 60fps in 10m which I think was something with how I configured win7 last time around. With everything set to default it *seems* to run more smoothly, but I'll see tonight (25m icc). Will post back here.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
    “Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.”
    Please check out My Mixes

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpid
    Right, that's what I was clarifying - Each one runs at 2.5ghz in that if completely maxed, it would be simultaneously processing 10ghz worth of data not that it IS processing at 10ghz. That make more sense?
    Gigahertz is a measure of speed, not capacity/load. That's why your statement isn't correct. Four cores at 100% load still only operate at 2.5GHz each, and that speed is still not additive.

After reformat I'm at 60fps in 10m which I think was something with how I configured win7 last time around. With everything set to default it *seems* to run more smoothly, but I'll see tonight (25m icc). Will post back here.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
    Hope you finally found whatever oddity was causing the issue!

Gigahertz is a measure of speed, not capacity/load. That's why your statement isn't correct. Four cores at 100% load still only operate at 2.5GHz each, and that speed is still not additive.
    I must still not be explaining my thought behind it... basically take your car example: having 4 cars with 4 cylinders each does not mean I have 16 cylinders. Absolutely. However if all 4 cars were pulling something in unisen, it would be the similar effect (provided you could match horsepower and torque) the effect of combining all of them into one "supercar" with 16 cylinders. That's basically my logic behind it, I'm not summing them up and saying that it processes that, just saying that an evenly distributed load across 4 cores (cars) is as effective as combining the cores (cars) and taking the power of that. =D

Hope you finally found whatever oddity was causing the issue!
    Me too. I'm really sick of having low fps for (seemingly) no reason >.<
    “Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.”
    Please check out My Mixes

15+ Year Old Account

I must still not be explaining my thought behind it... basically take your car example: having 4 cars with 4 cylinders each does not mean I have 16 cylinders. Absolutely. However if all 4 cars were pulling something in unisen, it would be the similar effect (provided you could match horsepower and torque) the effect of combining all of them into one "supercar" with 16 cylinders. That's basically my logic behind it, I'm not summing them up and saying that it processes that, just saying that an evenly distributed load across 4 cores (cars) is as effective as combining the cores (cars) and taking the power of that. =D
    With multi-core processing, it's more like taking the item those 4 cars are pulling, cutting it into 4 pieces, and then pulling each piece with a single car.

Like Cilraaz says its isnt additive, 4 fiestas in paralel on a highway move at exactly the same speed has one, the diference is they can carry more load, and its basicaly what happens in a processor, when a program is written in threads to work with multicore the calculations are divided by each core, basicaly by each cycle even at the same speed you have done more calculations, the 4 fiestas are full , when a program isnt ready to work with threads only one of the cores is loaded, or in the car anology only one of the fiestas is full, the other error is trying to see Ghz has a velocimeter, doesnt work that way a processor speed is far from being able to be defined by that alone, its not possible for example to compare speeds bitween amd and intel taking only ghz in consideration or even bitween the same brand but diferent model processors, the clock of the processor works has nothing more then a simple reference, it used to be a much clear indicator at a couple of years ago, lately both brands moved away from naming theyr processors based on the clock in part because of that.
    So no you dont calculate anything faster, but you calculate more has long has the program supports it, 1 ferrari will still be faster then 1 fiesta but 4 fiestas will cary more, 4 ferrari's will carry more and faster (forgot actual volume of the examples i give here).

1) I don't think it's wow based. As stated earlier, different in-game settings don't net a gain or loss
    One thing to make sure is that you don't set the ingame options at max with also setting the options in CCC at max. Use either one or the other, I prefer to set CCC to "let the application decide" and have WoW gfx option set to 4x multisample.

Setting both to max made my FPS drop from ~100 to ~30. (depending on zone)

That doesn't mean tho that during raids it will not drop low as in raids it more about the CPU having a high workload then the GPU being stressed. But the CPU was covered allready, nothing to add :-p

4) DEP. DEP is disabled on my computer (I turned it off) and I've heard that causes some incompatabilities and weird things to happen. Have not re-enabled it. Don't know if it will make a difference (don't think it will).
    It wouldn't. Besides, DEP is set by default to only monitor Windows services, not applications tho it can be set to also work on all applications;

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use computer memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you. (From the DEP help on W7)

If a program fails because DEP closes it and you trust it you can easily add it to a white list.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~