Thread: 7 vs. XP

7 vs. XP

Just put 7 on my comp yesterday. Downloading WoW right now. after wiping my harddrive only only having basic shit + WoW on my comp, will it run faster?

Re: 7 vs. XP

Hard to say. I didn't get any noticeable difference when I switched but I've heard that some people say its like night and day.

well with XP OS on there i was getting about 25-20 fps in 25s.
    Now with my HD wiped, i'm hoping that will go up

Your FPS may go up by 1-2 or so if you have DX10/11 graphics card, but there is not going to be dramatic difference unless the other shit you had installed before was slowing you down. And if that was the case, just reinstalling WinXP+WoW would've done pretty much the same.

On the other hand you might see dramatic decrease in framerate if you have only 1-2 gigs of RAM since Win7 is lot more greedier for free memory.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account

What are your system specs? XP is still considered by many to be the "gamers" OS as it runs many old games that will not on any Windows released after XP. I upgraded to 7 from Vista and 7 is so much better than Vista. I still miss XP at times. Win7 is simply meant to handle newer generations of hardware better and it is much more stable, I haven't seen a BSOD in ages, that could also be due to my selection of hardware when I rebuilt my computer.

My system: | Intel E8400 | ASUS P5E | 4GB Corsair DDR2 800 | Visiontek 3870x2 | PC Power&Cooling 750w | Antec P182 case | Windows 7 64 bit | ASUS Xonar HDAV deluxe

15+ Year Old Account

You might see a speed increase just based on having a fresh installation, especially if your old XP installation had been there for a while. Actual gains due to upgrading from XP to 7 are minimal at best.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    On the other hand you might see dramatic decrease in framerate if you have only 1-2 gigs of RAM since Win7 is lot more greedier for free memory.
    W7 is actually more ram efficient. Not used ram = wasted ram.

If you look in the task manager you will see, under performance, a header "physical Memory (MB)";
    -total
    -cached
    -available
    -free

You may see that "free" is shockingly low, even on 8GB machines;

That doesn't mean much, just that Windows is caching as much as it can, and if need be, discard the cache and use the ram for other tasks.

It surely beats swapping all the time to/from a page file like XP does..
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac
    W7 is actually more ram efficient. Not used ram = wasted ram.

That doesn't mean much, just that Windows is caching as much as it can, and if need be, discard the cache and use the ram for other tasks.
    WinXP runs in a PC with 1 gig of ram, it's even semi-usable with 512 megs. Win7 on the other hand wont even boot with less than 1 gig, and it's totally hopeless without 2 gigs if you try to run something bigger than notepad or calculator. The memory requirements have gone up significantly, improved disc caching is not the only thing eating RAM.

A lot of it goes into eyecandy you can turn off, but the bare minimum requirements are significantly higher in W7 than XP.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    WinXP runs in a PC with 1 gig of ram, it's even semi-usable with 512 megs. Win7 on the other hand wont even boot with less than 1 gig, and it's totally hopeless without 2 gigs if you try to run something bigger than notepad or calculator. The memory requirements have gone up significantly, improved disc caching is not the only thing eating RAM.
    All I can say is, get better hardware (Or check your software), something must be wrong with it, as we have about a dozen (Note we have over 1000 xp machines running) machines with 2GB at work and they run W7 better then XP, and we're running some rather old (made in 1998) software on it and also heavy programs on it. (not anything you can get in a shop, its specially made, and unfortunately not memory efficient stuff). Use a DX10 gfx card and you won't have much problems UI wise.

If you're using hardware designed with XP in mind then maybe W7 may not run as well as XP.

Not to mention, Windows 7 runs just as well with just 1 GB, and it should even boot with less then that, that might require some tweaking tho.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx

~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~