Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do REAL competitive PVPers really care about the CATALYSM changes?

The changes I am talking about is obviously the removal of rating on a highend PvP gear/weapons and the ability to obtain the top tier of items from rated battlegrounds (which will obviously focus much less on player skill and more so on large teams)

At the end of the day as a competitive PvPer wouldn't you want more people to have access to the same stuff as you so you can really show people how good you're instead of always having the early advantage with gear only beacuse you were able to get it faster than someone else?

I think the new style of PvP in Catalysm will make it A LOT easier for your average first person shooter PvPer to join the game and actually ENJOY playing instead of getting constantly smashed by people who are not only much more well equipped but people who are also already much more experienced/skillfull.

The Arena tournaments make everyone use the same gear so why not at least be a little like that by allowing EVERYONE to have access to the high end stuff just to make it so new players can get into it more instead of feeling like they cannot do anything due to being overwelmingly outgeared.

This has no effect on PvE and I think PvE should stay like that as the whole point of PvE is slowly improving and gearing up your characters to take on the latest encounters and top those dps/healing meters or become an amazing tank, gear progression is HUGE for PvE, but it's extremely out-dated for PvP.

If you want more people to play who

A) Do not want to raid (most FPS players will only want to PvP and don't care for PvE)
    B) Only purpose in the game is to PvP (rated bgs are much easier to get into then arena)
    C) Don't want to grind for so long to get equal gear (getting honour has become easier and easier)

Catalysm need these changes and it will be getting them.

Re: Do REAL competitive PVPers really care about the CATALYSM changes?

Past 2k-2k2 everyone wears the same shit. It never affected most the ''real'' PvP community.

Biggest loss is that we won't be able to carry others for 1800 now, was nice/easy way to get money doing something that is actualy fun (arena). Instead of grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergall
    Past 2k-2k2 everyone wears the same shit. It never affected most the the ''real'' PvP community.

Biggest loss is that we won't be able to carry others for 1800 now, was nice/easy way to get money doing something that is actualy fun (arena). Instead of grinding.
    There's still the lazy and the antisocial.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

Quote Originally Posted by ProKat
    Will I still be beat by the huntard in greens?
    Yes OP. You will STILL be killed by my level 6 alt, even if you log on your level 80 ret pally.

It sucks that people can't make money from carrying anymore BUT the thing is the gear wont matter nearly as much as it does in arena, so I don't see any reason to keep not-so good players who can't reach & maintain the 2.2k brackets out of gear when really it changes nothing when actual competitive PvPers come into play.

Deleted

Regarding skills, a few things will be pretty interesting which can change gameplay and need to be used strategically. Rogue's Smoke Bomb, Hunter Camo and maybe-a-new-spell-in-the-druid-balance-tree-usable-by-resto-druids-that-could-aoe-ranged-silence-something-not-saying-there-will-be-such-a-spell-since-we-couldn't-possibly-know. *glares at fp*

I don't think any real pvp'er would mind the gear rating requirements; it only gives them more opponents to beat with skill rather than gear.

The only thing I dislike about it is having to carry AFKers through rated BGs, getting their rating up through my hard work while they jump up and down at GY for 10 minutes and then abuse anyone who accuses them of AFKing.

The system in general, however, is only disliked by elitist idiots, both good and bad, who think they're special and unique snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa
    The only thing I dislike about it is having to carry AFKers through rated BGs, getting their rating up through my hard work while they jump up and down at GY for 10 minutes and then abuse anyone who accuses them of AFKing.

The system in general, however, is only disliked by elitist idiots, both good and bad, who think they're special and unique snowflakes.

That's why everyone wants rated bgs so badly, so we can filter out the afk/botter scum from our territory.

i dont think you just que for rated battlegrounds,i think you need to be 10 / 15 / w/e
    else you just que for Skirmish`?
    Wait, why does it matter?

Jesus was black, the government did 9/11, Ronald Reagan was the Devil and WoW is a game

10+ Year Old Account

Not going to hunt for the blue post, but they will be keeping 2 tiers of pvp weapons in the expansion, but only the 2nd tier will have rating.
    I don't know any relatively competitive pvpers who care about the changes, when you play at a rating at qualifies you for all the gear, you're basically already playing without rating requirements.
    100 Rogue | 100 Priest | 93 Monk | 91 Druid | 91 Shaman | 90 Warrior | 90 Mage | 90 Hunter | 90 DK | 87 Warlock | 86 Pally

Not a big deal. Although, bragging rights from having the weapons won't be there anymore, I think most people above a 2k rating would agree that gear only helps so much and it's more skill and comp set-up.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zergall
    Past 2k-2k2 everyone wears the same shit. It never affected most the ''real'' PvP community.

^ Pretty much sums up my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Elanale
    There's still the lazy and the antisocial.
    yeah just like someone high end raiding or living wow will call everyone lazy. or someone who plays wow to SIMS chat will call them antisocial.

there are obviously varying degrees of reason in terms of supposedly being lazy, or antisocial. not everyone wants to get into some premade/vent every time they log on for some fun in this game.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag
    The pro pvp-ers don't care, as stomping undergeared opponents is not really fun for them to do all the time, like the sucky pvp-ers enjoy. In fact they might actually apreciate this as they have more worthy opponents.
    LOL, no the people won't be worthy opponents, not until they improve how they play.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

a lot of the top pvp's do care since they aren't as competitive as they talk. its why they'll que dodge, sit on ratings, etc. just so they can get them at the highest to win. to some winning is the only thing that matters, regardless of how they do it, and i'd argue that is more the basis of higher end players than them actually being competitive people as a whole.

honestly from what i've seen of most players in this game is all they care about is winning to get to the rewards. many would be happy if there was little competition on that road, so long as they get to the gear faster. or can brag about their ratings at its highest numbers. its not the act so much for a lot of them. the only ones i see that are truly as competitive as many of them talk are the very tippy top players who have no insecurities of losing because they honestly think they're the best and welcome the challenge. even arena teams rated right below them, in the close to 3k mark, dodge those guys so they can keep their ratings inflated.

and many of these players enjoy queing into bg's and blowing up everyone like they have god mode. so arenas isn't the only basis for gear difference arguments, like a lot of the people here try to justify it all as equal : they think its their reward to be able to do that, even if its the antithesis to the competitiveness a lot of them talk up so much.

even tho people try to reinvent it i'll swear by a lot of the higher end pvp's bitching back when welfares were popular and everyone had resilience, because they couldn't 1v3 as regularly due to average player survivability and power being a lot closer.

it just always makes me laugh how a lot of the higher end players talk up being competitive so much, but play the game manipulations to be higher rated, or tend to justify gear disparities. i think a lot of wow players that think they're competitive get that term confused with wanting to win. they aren't the same.

I have seen people offering boosts upto 2k rating, so no the weapons were not a bragging point anymore.
    Arena was too focused around specific comps, not real pvp.
    This opens it right up to new options, and allowing friends to participate for fun, not someone who happens have better synergy.

That is what the higher rated players fear, the competition and risk of losing their position.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I enjoy 2 shotting PvE heroes right now, I'd like it to stay this way, but well, WoW changes, and I'll just have to adjust. Not a real deal for me, except that having insane PvP gear won't be rewarding anymore, everyone will have it. I don't understand the point of having to grind honor/whatever currency then. People with more time than others will kill the people that won't have time to grind. Right now it's enough to play 10 games if you are on high rating, you don't need to farm honor endlessly to get proper gear, you need skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodymoman
    I enjoy 2 shotting PvE heroes right now, I'd like it to stay this way, but well, WoW changes, and I'll just have to adjust. Not a real deal for me, except that having insane PvP gear won't be rewarding anymore, everyone will have it. I don't understand the point of having to grind honor/whatever currency then. People with more time than others will kill the people that won't have time to grind. Right now it's enough to play 10 games if you are on high rating, you don't need to farm honor endlessly to get proper gear, you need skills.
    the biggest thing really changing is players able to get low end pvp weapons, offhand, and ranged slot now equivalent to 5 mans. there will still be gear gaps since theres 2 tiers. QQ more.

i honestly don't get why a lot of you think Arena is the only thing in this game people play, when bg's are WAY more popular(even with garbage rewards), but the way a lot of you talk here its almost like you're in your own little world where all everyone does in wow is play Arena :

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale
    i honestly don't get why a lot of you think Arena is the only thing in this game people play, when bg's are WAY more popular(even with garbage rewards), but the way a lot of you talk here its almost like you're in your own little world where all everyone does in wow is play Arena :
    BGs currently are more popular because the people that try Arena and lose for the first few weeks, then abandon Arena and goto BGs since there are many opportunities where they're carried by the people they are paired with. This isn't always the case, but for the majority it is.

Once rated Battlegrounds are put in the very same people will start realizing that they're no longer winning BGs and will not like how they lose again. Rated BG popularity remains to be seen, but relatively speaking, it will not be as popular as current unrated BGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft
    BGs currently are more popular because the people that try Arena and lose for the first few weeks, then abandon Arena and goto BGs since there are many opportunities where they're carried by the people they are paired with. This isn't always the case, but for the majority it is.

Once rated Battlegrounds are put in the very same people will start realizing that they're no longer winning BGs and will not like how they lose again. Rated BG popularity remains to be seen, but relatively speaking, it will not be as popular as current unrated BGs.
    i don't agree. bg's are more popular because they're way more casual. anyone can logon to WoW and que a BG and pvp. just like random 5 man PUG finder has been exploding because its casual login and play mechanics. you don't have to coordinate play times with 2-4 other people just to play a game, like you do in Arena, where you have to make the most of the play session due to the coordination involved, and people getting mad you're only playing for a half hour. furthermore Arena pvp is very epeen heavy, and there are a lot of mmorpg players that prefer the more objective based variation of pvp'ing than everything being some heavy, everything matters match of nerd raging pressure each time you want to login to WoW for fun pvp play. there are soooo many reasons why people prefer BG's over Arena that have nothing to do with trying to get the best gear, and considering Arena has had the best gear siince TBC with everything going for it with the Dev's tryign to create every incentive for the players to partake in it, while Arena participation has been waning, along with esports Arena interest, if anything is going to have the bottom dropped out of it, it will be Arena. class balance focusing more on BG's might even kill it i dare say since Arena requires so much class balance attention to even have a somewhat even class playing field.

tldr, a lot more people play this game for fun than trying to be the best or have the best. especially if you've been through season after season of the rat race of gearing where it resets itself over and over, and at some point you just don't care about having the best, or all that work isn't worth it due to having to do it again every few months. if i wanted the best gear i'd be raiding, 1800 is not the end all be all of gear whatsoever. only pvp weapons/offhand/ranged that are inferior to raid rewards. i also think raiding is easier for the gear for most people to get anyways. i personally hate pve these days so that doesn't work for me but i digress.