Thread: Disc healing

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Disc healing

Hi all. I would like some advice.

I'm a shadow priest, always have been and I'm no where near bored with it, in fact I never have been. But my guild is looking for a disc priest to heal their raids. Currently I'm not part of team one cause of my absence as of recent and I missed a lot of content, therefore my gear wasnt up to scratch. Over the past week and a bit I've been trying to gear my priest out again. I was wondering if you guys could kind of gear check me to see if id be able to spec disc and heal in the gear I've got already.

I'm on my phone atm (slacking at work) so I can't link my armory but its "Boozah on Chamber of Aspects EU"

Also advice on stats and gems would go down a treat.

Thanks

Boozah.

Re: Disc healing

Here is your armory link - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ects&cn=Boozah

You could heal normals pretty easily, especially the early bosses (you probably don't have the mana pool, or the regen to be the sheild spammer for LK just yet though)
    Try and replace some of your hit gear with some more crit/haste or spirit, your regen is low, even for Disc.

I don't agree, I think he will OOM very quickly. His mana regen while casting 158, and he doesn't even have but a 22k mana pool. That's alright for shadow, but not a healing spec, even disc.

To answer the original poster's question in short, the answer is no. The long version:

Here are some gear ideas. I tried to avoid suggesting instance drops, because those are totally luck of the draw. For time spent, grinding is probably the quickest way to get from point A to point B.

Frost badge gear (if you got frost - great!):
    Circle of Ossus (belt) - 60 badges
    Purified Lunar Dust (trinket) - 60 badges
    Meteor Chaser's Rainment - 95 badges

Triumph badge gear:
    Talisman of Resurgence (trinket) - 50 badges
    Heartmender Circle (ring) - 35 badges
    --- Tier 9 2 set bonus is still quite good if you always keep PoM on cooldown
    Velen's Cowl of Conquest (helm) - 50 badges
    Velen's Shoulderpads of Conquest (shoulders) - 45 badges

if you don't grab the Tier 9 helm, go get one of the "of the Transcendance" out of Onyxia, or if you can, get Thratmurge's Crackling Cowl off of Saurfang 10. If not those, then get the offset Helm of Clouded Sight and Pauldrons of Revered Mortality with triumph badges.

Get crafted: Sandals of Consecration (5 primordials & 10 moonshroud), they're second best in slot, if I remember correctly

Solace of the Fallen trinket, normal or heroic TOC25, is a very over budgeted trinket, excellent for any healer due to the mana regen on it, which you could use right now. Good luck getting it, but it's well worth the try.

These gear changes should get you where you can heal first wing of ICC10, even as a newbie to discipline.

Stat priority is sort of tough, because it changes with your gear, content level, and raid role (tank healer or raid support). Here's a general idea though, without getting into numbers:

Spellpower
    Crit
    MP5
    Haste
    Spirit

I didn't list intellect, because plenty of it comes on gear now. However, I suggested the intellect trinket to help boost your mana pool as much as possible right way. When gemming yellow slots, go with either brilliant king's amber or luminous ametrines. For purple slots, I'd go regal dreadstone if the bonus is worth it. Red slots are of course runed cardinal rubies.

Hope this helps.

Spellpower > Crit > MP5 > Haste > Spirit is a good rule of thumb for people going from say ToC to ICC gear, but in his case he's got plenty of spellpower as is. His big problem is going to be mana regen, so trading stats, hit especially, is what he's looking at most. 2.7k spellpower is a LOT of spellpower for a disc priest at his gear level, so trading some of it for Int and mp5 would be more beneficial. The amount of regen you need depends on your healing style and how good at mana management you are, and the rule of thumb I always go with is if I end a fight with less than 30% mana or I had to ask for an innervate during the fight, I go regem for more regen.

If you look at his gear, you will see that he's gemmed straight spellpower. I also suggested that he pick up more regen in his gem slots, except in red ones so he doesn't lose too much spellpower, besides gear suggestions I made for regen. I also made gear suggestions to replace the majority of his hit.

He *is* going to be going from TOC to ICC gear. Everything listed is ilevel 232 to 264, which is TOC or better. He's trying to get into the main raid.

Whats the progression you will be attempting?
    First few bosses shouldn't be hard, especially with the 15% buff, but after that you will struggle.

As for the mana pool and regen, with clever and intellegent use of Mana CDs (Fiend, Hymm, Mana Pot) he should be able to last out the first lot of fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Auraye
    If you look at his gear, you will see that he's gemmed straight spellpower. I also suggested that he pick up more regen in his gem slots, except in red ones so he doesn't lose too much spellpower, besides gear suggestions I made for regen. I also made gear suggestions to replace the majority of his hit.

He *is* going to be going from TOC to ICC gear. Everything listed is ilevel 232 to 264, which is TOC or better. He's trying to get into the main raid.
    You don't gem regen as disc, you gem SP and then throw on a regen trinket as needed - unless your gear is like naxx level or something. The stat inflation of Int on gear has been immense as tiers have gone by. I didn't gem Int since mid ulduar.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    The stat inflation of Int on gear has been immense as tiers have gone by. I didn't gem Int since mid ulduar.
    ^^
    Was done w/ int gemming after Vezax HM.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

i myself only use the 2 set frost tier for disc, i get better stats (intellect etc) from seperate gear pieces and with the icc buff ever increasing it plays havoc with rapture (only now n again tho i find my mana draining from lots of shield flicking but shadow fiend and hymn of hope sorts that) but i use 4 set for holy as circle of healing is great with that set and mana regen.. but we all have our preferences i spose
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    You don't gem regen as disc, you gem SP and then throw on a regen trinket as needed - unless your gear is like naxx level or something. The stat inflation of Int on gear has been immense as tiers have gone by. I didn't gem Int since mid ulduar.
    Yes you do when your in combat regen is only 158, and mana pool is only 22k. He needs more mana since he won't have dispersion in discipline. Until he gets some of the pieces that I'd suggested, he'll need the regen/mana pool boost.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm seeing a shadow spec with shadow gear so his mana regen might be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozah
    I was wondering if you guys could kind of gear check me to see if id be able to spec disc and heal in the gear I've got already.
    Seeing as how he wants to know if he can heal in the gear he has, I doubt he has a disc gear set.

Quote Originally Posted by Auraye
    Yes you do when your in combat regen is only 158, and mana pool is only 22k. He needs more mana since he won't have dispersion in discipline. Until he gets some of the pieces that I'd suggested, he'll need the regen/mana pool boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malania
    I'm seeing a shadow spec with shadow gear so his mana regen might be higher.
    Assuming the second quote is correct, he will have more than 22k mana if he specs discipline just because of the +15% intellect talent, and more regen because of the +int and +spirit talents. Though he probably does still need more regen.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DomBomb1
    Assuming the second quote is correct, he will have more than 22k mana if he specs discipline just because of the +15% intellect talent, and more regen because of the +int and +spirit talents. Though he probably does still need more regen.
    +the 50% mana regen while casting so his regen will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania
    +the 50% mana regen while casting so his regen will be higher.
    One of our greatest talents once again, taken for granted and well-forgotten. lol

stat priority as disc:

spellpower>spellpower>spellpower>crit>haste>int>etc

Heya, long time reader, first time poster.
    I've been holy/disc since hitting 80, and have since dropped holy (Who needs em, anyways? /cue mod) for a dps spec. I'm currently working off of satellite internet and can't really log on, before anyone flames my fail trinket. I've been gemming int since i hit 80, it seems to be working great for me, I can't count the amount of times a proc has saved my HoH CD when I had a fiend out. Is it wrong for me to be doing so?
    Armory - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Remar&cn=Viklu
    Tl;dr - Is it so wrong to have more mana than you know what to do with? I've never failed at my job of tank healing, spot healing or shield spamming. Should I regem SP+Haste?

Key stats for those who can't/won't/don't want to click on the armory
    Mana - 31k unbuffed
    SP - 2254
    Haste - 500
    Regen - 636
    Crit - 30%
    Trinks - DMC:G - Int, Talisman of Resurgence

Thanks for any/all input you all may have about my gear/gems/spec.

So..... uh... well, that looks a lot like how I geared in early Ulduar and Naxx. Hah. I have less Int than you in 277 gear, which is creepy.

Just think about one thing. In the first you're gemming and gearing almost entirely for regen. Then you're wondering if it's wrong to have more mana than you can use. Considering those two things, what do you think you should do?

Are you a full time tank healer? If so things are a bit different and while it's really not something I'd advise gearing for, if you are going to gear for it then yes you should be going much more towards haste. You really don't need more than 30k mana fully raid buffed to tank heal as Disc (much less to raid heal) and you're at over 31k unbuffed. So... yeah, you can probably regem completely away from Int and be fine. You have a lot of Int...

I normally (Before I left for this work "vacation") Tank heal, and never had any trouble with haste or keeping the tank up via FH, PoM on CD and PW:S when weakened soul comes off, even with spot healing raid spikes... I've seen a lot of disc healers who are dedicated tank healers stacking boatloads of haste+sp gems, and I didn't know if there was some sort of threshold I'm aiming for in haste while balancing SP and Int/Regen. Thanks for your advice though =] Any advice on my spec? I saw the cookie cutters and decided more mana efficiency was better than the ~5% crit I had to lose and the self heal (Binding Heal works fine for me)