Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: AVR getting removed next patch

I love the people saying "It practically plays the game for you!" when in reality all it does is take information (just like DBM) you already have, and makes it into a visual instead of text. But I'm sure people here will say something about what I said, oh well. I never used AVRE, let alone AVR, once. If you can't move out of shit that says in BIG ASS BOLD LETTERS "GET OUT OF THE DAMN WAY" then what makes people think these people will move with a visual?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Tinian
    Somebody raised a good point in the WOW forums thread about this, why is it Blizz can break this mod but yet still can't seem to do anything about the hackers that arrange bodies to spell out gold selling sites, or the hacks/cheats that people use for PVP?
    Because an addon is a LUA file that is interpreted by Blizzard's LUA engine. A hack, on the other hand, is an executable program that circumvents protective measures to either allow "protected" LUA functions that can normally not be called in combat and/or by "unsecure" (third-party addon) code like spell casting/movement or to insert data into the WoW client's RAM (telling the client you are somewhere where you are in fact not, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by sarethen
    Awesome.

Now all they gotta do is break gearscore.
    The problem is this: AVR/AVRE used a function that is very rarely used by other addons to position its circles. It calculated the position of those circles from:
    a) The client's camera angle - Hardly any addons use this and it's going to disappear next patch
    b) The player's map coordinates - Any map addon uses this
    c) A target's map coordinates - Again, every map addon uses this
    This was also the reason why AVRE could not do circles around stuff not in your raid. What it did on Rotface was save the position of every raid member the second the Goo cast its explosion, then generated circles there. Those circles were simply 2D frames stretched in a way that made them look 3D.

Now, let's look at what functions GearScore uses.
    a) It inspects players - Pretty obviously, this is not something that can be removed
    b) It creates a frame that shows the user somebody's gearscore based on the saved inspect data from step a) - can't be removed at all, this would break pretty much every single addon in the game.
    c) It modifies the chat to show somebody's GearScore next to their name - Could technically be removed, would kill Prat/Chatter and friends aswell as spam blockers such as BadBoy.

As you can easily see, GearScore cannot really be prohibited by Blizzard in any way. They could, of course, say that anybody using/mentioning GearScore would be suspended - but can you honestly see them doing that?

its a shame just because it was such an innovative and well made add-on.

on the other hand it was really stepping over the lines and needed to be destroyed.
    Wow account disabled, waiting for D3!

Quote Originally Posted by ethzero
    I believe Gearscore has more merit for being removed than AVR, but to each his own.

This is a dangerous precedent.
    I disagree, this mod was borderline against the ToS to begin with, gearscore isn't. This mod is akin to say, making a mod that changes every model in the game to something from The Simpsons (thinking of a quake 3 mod here ), something they're very adamant about.

"I see this change as something against Blizzards stated design goals - letting every person have the opportunity to see content."

Quoted from site.

Edit: I meant LOL... Not like Yeah!! It´s just for the better purpose I think ^^

Loled.

Btw, Nice one blizz ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ethzero
    I believe Gearscore has more merit for being removed than AVR, but to each his own.

This is a dangerous precedent.
    While I dont use AVR I agree with you conclusion. As I have heard mentioned many times, Blizz is getting a little heavy handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinian
    Somebody raised a good point in the WOW forums thread about this, why is it Blizz can break this mod but yet still can't seem to do anything about the hackers that arrange bodies to spell out gold selling sites, or the hacks/cheats that people use for PVP?
    And I tought he was stupid, you're trying to bring up some kind of conspiracy theory or something?
    It's quite simple, the addon runs in the game and the lua 'compiler', so to say, is in the game itself, and Blizzard maintains it's own API for addons, so they can change it quite easily.
    Hacks in the other hand are 3rd party software, that interfere with the program, usually with some kind of memory injection, Blizzard has Warden but they need some hard evidence before they can start banning people, and there's alot of ways to circumvent Warden.

E:Apparently Treeston already answered this .

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

How much do you want to bet that the people advocating getting rid of DBM et all, are the same people complaining the game is too easy now? Blizzard plans around the presence of DBM. Without it, Grim Batol boss strats would be a tank and spank, a tank and spank, another tank and spank, and maybe one more tank and spank for good measure.
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

so common since is now again required for raiding?

first off - yay for this being done to AVR! on our podcast a few weeks ago I blasted it, it makes the game too easy, all the arguments above, etc etc etc. (I like the DDR reference lol).

As for the "Slippery slope" argument... yeah, it is. This could mean them scrutinizing a lot of addons (tourguide, tomtom, carbonite, dbm, etc) for making things "too easy". But it is still their game, and they'll do it if they want to or not. I do hope thought that this isn't the start of an avalanche of addon-bans.

Finally Gearscore... yeah, Gearscore has it's purposes, but more and more I see high GS people doing really bad damage. then in FoS Heroic, the epic tank boots dropped. I was tanking, and they were a huge upgrade. I rolled need, but so did the ret (non-ds'd) pally. His answe rto why he needed em? "Because it will raise my GS".

I hear that too often lately.... people buying crap they don't really need, or equipping the wrong "type" of armor, just to raise their GS... not to mention a good third of the kids who use GS like a bible have forgotten that gear is crap without the skills to back it up.

~ No Worries Gaming ~
    Home of Casual Warcraft, THE podcast for the casual in all of us
    Find us on iTunes or on our homepage
    http://www.noworriesgaming.com

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    I used it on my lock alt in raids, but could manage without with little to no difference. People who go "OMG NOOB ADDON" at AVR and AVRE shouldn't be using any bossmod, fucking hypocrites.
    I've used a stopwatch to time out when boss attacks were going to happen before. That's what I use boss mods for; so I don't have to do this. Does using the boss mod mean I'm no longer capable of doing this? Of course not. It just means I don't have to.

AVR goes beyond that. It goes beyond giving you information to showing you exactly where to move and what to do. It's the difference between reading a hint about how to beat a level, and having the game show you, in-game, what to do.

Have any of you ever played Super Mario Bros. Wii? There's a function in that game where if you fail to beat a level 8 times in a row (no, didn't happen to me :-P), you get an option for Luigi to come in and do the level for you, so you can see exactly how it's done. From my perspective, things like DBM and DXE are equivalent to reading gamefaqs, while AVR is equivalent to Luigi coming and doing the job for you. Yeah, it can be best to work without either, but there's clearly a marked difference between the two.

10+ Year Old Account

Cool beans. Now we get to hear people cry that it's gone, rather than cry that it exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment View Post
    Hakto: English is an evolving language. When I say "I am gay", some people choose to interpet that as "he defines himself as gay, gay, and nothing but the gay, so help him Robot Unicorn Attack".

I'm gonna miss the penises all over the place.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Naumu
    when in reality all it does is take information (just like DBM) you already have, and makes it into a visual instead of text.
    last time I checked you could see malleable goos coming towards you

Saw it being published, but never downloaded it. So i guess i don't care if its legal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Garamor
    last time I checked you could see malleable goos coming towards you
    What is this I don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by Tsudots
    A victory for non-retarded raiders everywhere
    /cheer

This was such a retarded addon to use.. Time to think again in raids peeps

i never used it but theres a guild on my server thats like our rival guild that has the addon required i hear >_<

Never used it good thing that they disable it.