Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

True Necromancer or Lich should be the next class IMO

This class would be totally based off of your pets. Pure DPS class. You personally do not cast anything offensive. Any spells you get are all directed to the pets and either causing them to do more damage or give them special abilities or .....you name it.

I envision a small army of pets doing you bidding.

While we do have pet classes currently none of those classes are totally based on the pet being the primary damage dealer. I guess that is what would make the necro or Lich different and special.

The necro/Lich should have auras or stances like Dk's.

if you chose the necro spec all your pets will be some form of undead that rise to your bidding. if you chose the Lich all the pets will be demonic. Make them new classes of damage. Necro damage and demonic damage. Each bringing their own different benefit.

Anyhow this is just a thought and by no means complete.

I really like it because this class would be DARK...I personally think WoW has turned too much into a foo foo lets kill bunnies game and needs to take a turn for the dark/Evil side. This class would help usher the new era in.

What you all think. Feel free to add ideas.

Lich = demon? The lich CLASS isnt a summoner of any sort. Its a bone/frost mage. Read before you post ideas. Pet based class works. Pet based no offensive capability whatsoever? No.

Deleted
    The problem with a pure pet class is that the AI is not that trustable, meaning; you got an enemy infront of you, instead of your pet running straight forward to it, something on the ground is blocking it, and it runs another route, to reach its target, which will take longer time.

While I love the idea of a true Necromancer class, it will be pretty hard to make it focus on ONLY pets, minions etc.

For example, I really love the Guild Wars Necromancer (both the original game and GW2) while the minions are really cool and good to use, you can do really good without them, but there are builds for them to make them really powerful tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukhoi View Post
    Lich = demon? The lich CLASS isnt a summoner of any sort. Its a bone/frost mage. Read before you post ideas. Pet based class works. Pet based no offensive capability whatsoever? No.
    I didn't realize there was a Lich class yet in WoW. You have some version we all don't? This was just an extremely rough idea. No need to bash an idea. Lich can be whatever you want it to be. Are you playing by some universal handbook of what a Lich is? Let me know where that book is in the library I'd be interested in checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigs79 View Post
    I didn't realize there was a Lich class yet in WoW. You have some version we all don't? This was just an extremely rough idea. No need to bash an idea. Lich can be whatever you want it to be. Are you playing by some universal handbook of what a Lich is? Let me know where that book is in the library I'd be interested in checking it out.
    http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/lich.shtml

Classes aren't just wow. They have to be somewhat realistic and related to the original counterparts. Thats where all classes come from.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Lich_(Warcraft_III)

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you asked here are a few definitions.
    Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich
    Warcraft:http://www.wowwiki.com/Lich
    Dictionary:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lich
    Would you like a list of a few liches already in WoW? I can go find that too.
    Oh and here is a book on it as well, though I don't know if any libraries around you carry it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldritch_Wizardry.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2013-05-06 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    I really like it because this class would be DARK...I personally think WoW has turned too much into a foo foo lets kill bunnies game and needs to take a turn for the dark/Evil side. This class would help usher the new era in.
    Warcraft as a franchise has always been rather light and funny. The Darker and Edgier game you're thinking of is Diablo, or Warhammer.

Anyhow your idea is pretty cool in terms of mechanics. A summoner class could be fun. Liches summoning demons doesn't really make sense though- liches are primarily scourge undead casters. I would suggest calling the class 'summoner'.

Spec flavours might include a'necromancer' which works exactly as you say;'artificer' which summons magical constructs (golems, clockwork things, animated objects); a 'diabolist' might summon little demons; 'Tender' might summon plants; 'Elementalist' might summon elementals. You could experiment with some vicarious tanking mechanics (i.e. a caster tanking spec with minions that tank for him).

All that said, it just doesn't strike me as something that adds a whole lot. WoW has a lot of classes, them more that get added, the harder it is to balance them all.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly Lich would be a bit overpowered. What with the whole "cannot die unless you kill the phylactory" thing.

And Necromancer is just a squishy unholy DK.

The ship for this one sailed with the DK addition. Blizz even said they modeled unholy after a necromancer.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I always preferred the traditional everquest definition of the necromancer, pet class that kills with a multitude of dots and has extremely limited nuking ability. Initially in vanilla, the warlock captured some of this, but even then the best dps spec was one where you sacrificed your succubus and spammed shadowbolt at your target.

I don't think you will see any kind of class construction like that in a modern MMO simply due to the fact that all of these developers think their customers want to be nuking something every 1.5 seconds instead of lining up a string of lethal dots and kiting while a powerful skeleton or spectre pet bashes it from behind.

The class has to fit the theme of the expansion (DK and WotLK, Monk and Pandaria). Lich/Necromancer only fits another Scourge based expansion, which I don't see coming any time soon.

Pets don't fit the Lich "class" at all.

WoW and Warcraft have never been this dark and gritty story. Sure there are dark elements, but the franchise as a whole has always had light elements with the dark. And you're kidding yourself if you think the game has devolved into "foo foo lets kill bunnies"
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    And Necromancer is just a squishy unholy DK.
    The ship for this one sailed with the DK addition. Blizz even said they modeled unholy after a necromancer.
    Indeed. I would like it if Unholy came with a class passive that made cloth more optimal to wear, or at least optional (i.e. if the Unholy DK is wearing all-cloth, then he gets the 'mantle of necromancy' buff, which buffs armour, runic power regen, and spell haste or something).

That said, he was more suggesting a summoner mechanic- as seen in some other games- where the player engages in combat almost exclusively via minions. With more fundamental reworking, this could also be a DK spec.

This class would be totally based off of your pets. Pure DPS class. You personally do not cast anything offensive. Any spells you get are all directed to the pets and either causing them to do more damage or give them special abilities or .....you name it.

I envision a small army of pets doing you bidding.

While we do have pet classes currently none of those classes are totally based on the pet being the primary damage dealer. I guess that is what would make the necro or Lich different and special.

The necro/Lich should have auras or stances like Dk's.

if you chose the necro spec all your pets will be some form of undead that rise to your bidding. if you chose the Lich all the pets will be demonic. Make them new classes of damage. Necro damage and demonic damage. Each bringing their own different benefit.

Anyhow this is just a thought and by no means complete.

What you all think. Feel free to add ideas.
    If you dont think the current game is dark, you should actually play the game instead of making opinions without playing. Wow is pretty dark atm

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Indeed. I would like it if Unholy came with a class passive that made cloth more optimal to wear, or at least optional (i.e. if the Unholy DK is wearing all-cloth, then he gets the 'mantle of necromancy' buff, which buffs armour, runic power regen, and spell haste or something).

That said, he was more suggesting a summoner mechanic- as seen in some other games- where the player engages in combat almost exclusively via minions. With more fundamental reworking, this could also be a DK spec.
    Yeah that's the shame of Unholy. They didn't go the full distance and make cloth wearable.

Too bad Blizz won't add any cloth-esque plate for the DK.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinio Blizzard won't do that. I believe they'll be rather creating something "new".

Just my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    WoW and Warcraft have never been this dark and gritty story. Sure there are dark elements, but the franchise as a whole has always had light elements with the dark. And you're kidding yourself if you think the game has devolved into "foo foo lets kill bunnies"
    Pretty much. Since about Warcraft II there has been a strong comedic streak to the series. There's tons of pop culture references, topical wisecracks, silly quests, colourful characters, and so on. It's pretty much never been a game that has taken itself *too* seriously.

It's the game's strength, or one of them- keeps it fresh. Though grimdark pulls in the angsty teens, it gets dated and boring real quick. Besides, you can still pull in the angsty teens with small amounts of grimdark.

Deleted
    Lich is NOT a class, it's an undead/demonic creature made of bone and cold. One does not become a lich by saying : hey, let's be a lich. It's like you want to be a cryptlord class or an abomination class.

If you still want a lich class, they would all look the same regardless the race. It's even worse than all the frenzy about tatoo-covered & chest-naked Demon hunters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Yeah that's the shame of Unholy. They didn't go the full distance and make cloth wearable.

Too bad Blizz won't add any cloth-esque plate for the DK.
    That new set is the first, I think. The one that drops from Gallon- comes in Red purple and Green, features flowing robes and a hooded skull helm. But yeah, they could've gone either way- make wearing cloth viable, or include more clothlike plate transmogs. They did neither.

It sucks because until this most recent set, RPing as a 1st Gen DK WCII (i.e. what a DK originally was) has been tricky. That sucks because 1st gen DKs are awesome. <3 1st gen DKs.

So Beast Mastery Hunters? That's what you just described.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    We don't need more classes, we need specilizations for those we already have.

Mage => Archmage/Sorcerer
    Warrior => Knight/Berserker
    Paladin => Inquisitor/Dragonslayer
    Druid => Shapeshifter/Elder Druid
    Priest => Cleric/Warpriest
    Warlock => Fel Summoner/Eldritch Warlock
    Hunter => Sniper/Ranger
    Shaman => Earth Caller/Dreamwalker
    Monk => Crane/Tiger
    Deathknight => Doomguard/Lich
    Rogue => Assassin/Infiltrator

Each specilization provide new abilities, but prevents the use of others. Specilizations are chosen by doing an associated questline. Once chosen, a specilization cannot be changed.