Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

New-age Lil wayne etc is not 'rap'.

I know this has no link to wow, but its the music forum. so i'm shooting here.

Anyone else here listen to rap/hip-hop? I mean like, old/good music. None of this T.I. T-pain Lil Wayne rebirth bullshit.

Examples; K.Sparks, Big L (the best), Guru, Big Sean is pretty tight, Nova, Phillip Morris, Talib Kweli, etc?

Don't come here saying Biggie or 2pac; they're good, but over rated beyond all belief.

Just want to see if anyone else out there listens to what I play to.

Lastly, don't come here talking shit like 'lol black music is bad' or anything. If you don't like it, don't comment, unless if you have something substantial to say. 'hahaha wow noobs rap is for queers A7X roxx!' will not be appreciated.

-Psÿke

P.S. Sorry for the annoying spacing, it's sort of a habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin
    South Park's 'Gay Fish' was actually a lot catchier than a lot of Kanye songs. Yeah.

Re: New-age Lil wayne etc is not 'rap'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJSFLXZslA

Atmosphere's one of the few rappers out there still recording that didn't get into the "yo dawg clubz 'n ho's n' git money dawg i'm so flyyyyy" pitfall that just about every rap or hip hop "artist" seems to embody these days.

Yeah i know atmosphere, just gave examples and didn't go through everything ATCQ, Araksas Bo, Immortal Tech etc are all great too.
    South Park's 'Gay Fish' was actually a lot catchier than a lot of Kanye songs. Yeah.

Jay-Z -Resonable Doubt
    NAS - Illmatic/Stillmatic/Hip-Hop is Dead
    Talib Kweli/Mos Def - (Depending on how you count Black Star)
    Lupe Fiasco
    Most Eminem, mixtapes and old stuff mainly.

And I don't hate Lil Wayne, but I certainly don't think he's anything spectacular. I've got more, but I've been on a dubstep/techno kick lately and all of my rap off the top of my head got bassed out at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRT-GJorpss

the one Eminem song I've been listening to a lot lately though, it's dirty.

eh, i personally despise eminem for 1 reason or another. Lil Wayne was good up to Carter III, rebirth killed him; songs such as 'da da da' and prom queen, that's what i meant about new-age wayne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXGfMhIhF_c

favorite song at the moment, it's one of those emotional thought songs, it's not what the haters think of rap. Give it a view, sure you'll like it.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBxB...eature=related is pretty legit too.

I hate everything Lil Wayne has ever done.

I've been listening to a lot of Lightheaded's album Wrong Way. Good 'ol real hip-hop. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Z-7bVSwEM

Murs is cool. and Lil Wayne and T. Pain is all just pop, it's never been hip hop.

That's what I'm saying. some old Lil Wayne is truly brilliant I'd say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yt2DKs5JNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKv1Qrq3k-c

I agree, Murs is pretty good, Hustle is one of my favorite songs of his.

http://www.datpiff.com/Sardonic_Smir...ss.m18408.html

The song 'ghostwriter news' on there sticks out to me, It's above par. Big Sean's 'What U Doin' is hypnotic, too. Not sure if you guys like/know of those but, just inputting what I can whenever, hopefully to pick this thread up :|

I'm a DJ and started life spinning hiphop (the first love of my life) so I'll throw a few names together you might know and if not, you wanna check out!

Firstly; little bit annoyed you said Biggie is underrated, mate... He's one of the best lyricists that's ever lived! 2pac can suck my balls, but Biggie blows minds!

Glad you said Big L 'Lifestylez of da poor an dangerous' is awesome!

Fuck lil wayne.

Murs was ok about 7-8 years back with the album on Def Jux (forget the name), but he sorta got lost in the shadow of everything else Def Jux was producing; Mr Lif, for example

Depending where you're from will pretty much say if you've heard of these or not... UK hiphop at it's best:

Jack Flash - no albums yet, but he's awesome. Check some '24 bar freestyles for 24 weeks'. Genious.
    Jehst - 'Falling Down' album is amazing, and 'Return of the Drifter' is niiiiiice!
    Foreign Beggars - pretty much anything, but 'what goes up' is amazing, and 'Revolution' by Orifice Vulgatron (foreign beggars) is great!
    Sun Dragon - only a few singles, but nice.
    Braintax (lowlife records owner; check some other lowlife releases) - 'Birofunk'
    Taskforce - can be hit and miss, sometimes going on a bouncy reggae tip, but most is badass.
    DJ IQ (does the cuts for Jehst and the lowlife crew) - amazing.
    There's more, but let me know if you're into it. Some people don't like the UK sound, for some reason, but... we'll see...

MF Doom (check his Viktor Vaughn albums... totally amazing! 'Vaudeville Villain' gets played to death in my house and when I play out
    Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs (if this isn't in your collection, you need to check your head! Also check Organize Konfusion's 'Stress: The Extension Agenda' from Monch's early days)
    Mr Lif - said before, but needs saying again. Anything he's done, but 'I, Phanthom' is sex!
    Non Phixion
    Apathy (and the whole Demigodz crew)
    Celph Titled (Demigodz)
    J Zone

Too many to list and I'm at work so need to get off... before I go, though, need to say:

'Rawkus presents Soundbombing 2' is probably the most listened to album I own! Technially (mixed and cut by Babu (!!!!!!) and J Rock), lyrically (includes Pharoahe Monch, Telib Kweli, Mos Def, Eminem, RA the Ruggedman, Medina Green, Bahamadia, Sadat X, Grand Puba, Dilated Peoples, High & Mighty, Shabaan Sahdeeq, Tash, Common, Company Flow...) and musically amazing! Rawkus went under just after this was release because of a Pharoahe Monch sampling clearance that was owned by the company who released Godzilla (the original), and they desided to sue Rawkus for everything they had. Nice of them. Destroyed one of the best hiphop lables of the time...

Let me know how it goes

Peace!

Ah, I'm from New York; haven't heard of much of the UK scene, none of what you mentioned :| Yeah, Big L is the best out there I'd easily say. I've started freestyling myself, He is, in hindsight, the goal (which is unachievable) :P

What i meant by biggie is underrated, is that everyone just ups him and tupac because they're dead and it's all they know; i like both of them, biggie more than pac, but when people think 'these guys revived hip hop' or anything stupid like this aggravates me. Big L if still around would have changed things. I'm quite busy at the moment (I'm in singapore currently, its 11PM and have an exam tomorrow) so I'm going to take care of that. Good to see there're others out there. I'll be looking up on what you posted, doom.

P.S. Don't straight out write Wayne off, his older work, like some of the ones i posted, are quite up there I'd say. Carter II and some of Carter III were legendary, but after that it died instantly.

Yeah I know who Non Phixion, Apathy, Celph Titled are, will check the others bro.

10+ Year Old Account

Have a listen to this:

Cannibal Ox - Raspberry Fields

Raw enough for me to enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account

It's all about De La Soul.

"The Reggae Shaman"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlNrtcPCLw

Always a good classic, give it a few listens daily

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...sic#from=embed

just found this, thought someone might appreciate it

and yet another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_IpTp6spBE

Phillip Morris, how could I forget. One of my favorites. most of his songs are on youtube should be able to find, this is his 'humorous' song, he's one of those political-speakers.

Haha, I've got 'whoa!' on vinyl Half forgot about that track, actually, so thanks! Got it running through my head at work now, haha! There's a remix on the single, too, with about 5 other emcees on there. Badass!

Yea, shame what happened to Big L... his brother's beef, too, which makes it worse!
    Really annoys me about what Jay Z has done, though... he's one of the biggest errors I've known in hiphop, and he's pretty much just tried stealing L's style! Makes me sick...
    In terms of freestyles; you heard Super Natural Fuckin insane...
    There's also a guy called Life from a UK crew, Phy Life Cypher. Check his 10 minute freestyle on youtube... nuts! Seen em live a few times; he can freestyle all day haha!

You musta heard the DITC stuff too, then? That crew was amazing! 'Thick' is badass!

How about the Dangermouse and Jemini album, 'Ghetto Pop Life' ? Amazing again... Jemini's flow and lyrical ability is insane, and DM's beats... fuckin sick! Got it on clear vinyl too :P Struggle to find the track markers cuz you can see the lines from the other side too :P

Mad Skillz - 'Ghost Writer'

Again, I'm at work so have to jump... I'll dig some names up when I get home, though may not be tonight as I have to sort my music out; I'm DJing in Leeds, England tonight, so gonna be busy. I'll sort it asap though.

Be sure to check a good friend of mine out; Figure of Speech. He's got a beat on soundcloud with his crew, Abstract Meathods... http://soundcloud.com/figureofspeech/teen-tearaway
    Might as well link it :P

Let me know if I'm on the right track with suggestions, cuz you know as well as I do; hiphop is a varied world, so I don't wanna be pointing you at things you're not really into, so I'll pick out some other shit if so.

Oh, Aesop Rock! And Cannibal Ox! Some of Def Jux's finest 'The F word' by Cannibal Ox is fuckin amazing... and 'No Regrets' by Aesop is just... /bow Makes you wanna do anything for the things you love in life.

Got 'Three Feet High and Rising' on cassette hahaha! My Dad gave it to me when I was about 5 years old :P That, and 'It takes a nation of millions to hold us back'. He also put me onto Cypress Hill! I owe a lot to my Dad, really

Good luck with the exam, Harry (though it's all skillz, I know)!
    Peace!

Nah it's all good man, i'll throw other names i'm into if it helps at all.

Bone Thugs N Harmony
    Fabolous
    Method Man
    Styles P
    Cassidy
    Nappy Roots
    Tech N9ne

Just a few; it's weird. My takes greatly varies, sometimes I like listening to the synthetic noises i.e. Fabolous, Sometimes I like the harmonization i.e. Bone Thugs, it's out there. Into anything really, prefer anything with a meaning than 'yoyo nigga i fucked that girl guuud' though if you catch what I'm saying

edit; I enjoyed your friend's shit but like, no download link :'(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxE5CwnmLCI
    some random nobody but i thought he gets his point across; he's talking as if he is the hood and what he sees/feels, pretty interesting

10+ Year Old Account

I have to agree with you but I disagree as well.

Yes most of the new "rap" music is SHIT.
    But I started listenning to 2Pac,Biggie,Wu Tang,LL Cool J/P Diddy recently and I have to say they ARE SO fucking repetative, I mean 90% of their songs are about bling/cars/money/bitches.

The reason above is why I stopped and now I only listen to Eminem,Lupe Fiasco(unfortunately he is very underrated),B.o.B,Gorillaz and some rock atleast THESE guys are still doing GOOD music and keeping hip hop alive.
    If you listen to Lupe for example you will notice that he DOESN'T even swear,at all, the only "rap" word he uses is N*gga and that is VERY rarely aswell.

Also some of the current rappers are WAY too overrated, eg:
    -Jay Z - he sucks BADLY, 11 albums and ALL about same repetative shit
    -lil'wayne - not gonna even waste my breath
    -Drake - he did 1 decent song and most ppl say he is the VERY best alive, thats just retarded, ok 1 decent single,WOW look at Eminem's singles - all of them are CLASSIC already
    -Kanye West - GOD I hate that "rapper",tbh calling him a "rapper" is an offence to all other rappers

All in all I have to say that most of the "old school" rap and modern rap are way too repetative and boring, this is why the artists I listen to bring a different message from their songs.

/Rage over.

I agree on alot you said, for example, i despise drake as well. but I feel Jay-Z, at least 'back in the day' was pretty good.

I thoroughly enjoy Eazy-E too Quite a different feel, too bad he passed away too.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harrygoboom
    I agree on alot you said, for example, i despise drake as well. but I feel Jay-Z, at least 'back in the day' was pretty good.

I thoroughly enjoy Eazy-E too Quite a different feel, too bad he passed away too.
    tbh I personally hate Jay Z for 1 thing mostly. How he hates auto-tune. Personally I dont care since music has to have and deliver a message of an artist,if he however sing about bling/money/bitches/cars for 11 albums I think his songs are empty so if he wants to kill auto-tune he better start doing decent songs with MEANINGS.