Page 1 of 3
LastLast

When is Shadowmeld useful?

As a feral kitty our problems with threat generation are well documented. I have tried everything I can think of to avoid pulling aggro, but a few ill-timed rip/rake crits are all that are necessary to push me over the tanks level of hate and result in splat cat.

I've tried using shadowmeld to no avail, which brings me to my question.

When if ever have any of you used shadowmeld successfully for a positive result in any encounter? I'm just curious. For me, it's a useless talent.

Please enlighten me with your positive experiences with this skill.

Re: When is Shadowmeld useful?

Roll a hunter, it's more useful for ranged classes Aside from that, it is useful for pulling the trash before the 2nd boss in AN. Pull, Shadowmeld and then run down to the boss. Shadowmeld is currently pretty worthless unless you are in an encounter that has no aoe damage. The problem is that your original threat level returns as soon as you drop it (or as soon as you take damage from aoe which is more likely).

IIRC in BC Shadowmeld actually dropped all threat, but it was on a 10 minute cooldown. That's still more useful than the current version which does nothing on almost any ICC fight since they all have some type of aoe damage that will either still target you or just hit you by proximity. Hurray for useless racials!

Quote Originally Posted by tibben
    Roll a hunter, it's more useful for ranged classes Aside from that, it is useful for pulling the trash before the 2nd boss in AN. Pull, Shadowmeld and then run down to the boss. Shadowmeld is currently pretty worthless unless you are in an encounter that has no aoe damage. The problem is that your original threat level returns as soon as you drop it (or as soon as you take damage from aoe which is more likely).

IIRC in BC Shadowmeld actually dropped all threat, but it was on a 10 minute cooldown. That's still more useful than the current version which does nothing on almost any ICC fight since they all have some type of aoe damage that will either still target you or just hit you by proximity. Hurray for useless racials!
    its better as a ranged but in pvp a hunter will just get killed for noobing and being right next to his pet.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

Before the change, shadowmeld had a very short CD and was only useable outside of combat. Now it is a weak iceblock/FD. For ranged it comes in handy to save your life, but if something is already in melée range with you then it is next to worthless.

Well for soloing, Shadowmeld is very nice and works unless mob can see through stealth.

It can save your ass and repair bill, when you try to "solo" any though elite mob. Just be wary of 81+ lvl mobs as they can still see through sometimes.

For non stealth classes this ability is quite nice convenience ability, when you need a quick AFK break (for whatever reason) in the middle of the old world zones (especially on PvP servers) or before you can afford a flying mount.

shadowmeld is useful for when you manage to stay alive until everyone else dies as the MT and you can then save a repair bill =D

Its now a holy crap its a wipe lets hope the boss targets me last so I can shadowmeld and not die spell.

For pve its great for getting adds off of yourself, avoiding direct spells and for wipe recovery. For pvp its great for getting pets off of yourself and to again, avoid direct spells.

free restealth in pvp for rogues and druids

also gets all pets and shit off you in pvp

and somtimes will save you a repair bill in a wipe.

and cant you use cower to lower your threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Vertalous
    and cant you use cower to lower your threat?
    Cower is beyond useless.

it's useful for leveling, and as an O SH** button in certain circumstances, but it isn't a get out of jail free ability. Just like Vanish, it is a bit broken at the moment
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

My resto uses it as his aggro drop. It usually works in that regard, at least long enough for the tank to re-establish aggro.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

1. Roll Night Elf Feral Druid
    2. Camp Wintergrasp Fortress
    3. Gank duelers.
    4. Shadowmeld
    5. Flight Form
    6. /lol

Quote Originally Posted by tibben

no.... if you were bowling you just got your ball over 4 lanes at the wrong gutter.

Shadowmeld from vanilla till the point where it was made usable in combat (not that the previous shadowmeld weren't usable in combat at all) functioned like a lame stealth that you couldn't even move in. The only use it had was that NE's could eat and then shadowmeld or in the case of rogues and druids... shadowmeld while waiting for stealth to get off CD and restealth. yes it was that worthless.

the only point where shadowmeld might have had the ability you listed would have been beta prior to wow's release if ever.
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

On my NE Druid I shadowmeld out of a lot of wipes and survive.

10+ Year Old Account

On my rogue I use it in PvP to drop pets, make soemone beating on me to drop their target, It can cause a caster to stop their cast if timed right, and It can work as a half-assed Vanish (It only works if you are the only one in combat to the target you are trying to get away from, and you can to be quick on the re-stealth)
    Proud Healer Since 2007
    "Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid."

I remember back in the days when you could cast in stealth and only reappear after the cast, WSG was a nightmare as horde, never know if the flag room is holding a NE hunter shadowmelded with his cat winding up a 3.5 second aimed shot ready to completely molest you.

10+ Year Old Account

Camping the flag in WSG

Lawl, anyone saying it's useless haven't been playing around with it enough

It's good for tons of stuff,

- Get out of combat
    - Quickly recover from a pull, overaggro (fade-ish)
    - Interrupt spellcasting against you
    - It's awesome when defending anywhere / any bg
    - For Druids, Shadowmeld + Flight Form is awesome for getting away
    - For Warriors, Shadowmeld + Charge
    - Escape from Death
    It's all just variations of a basic idea, - but it has tons of uses.

Quote Originally Posted by yaij9841

Shadowmeld from vanilla till the point where it was made usable in combat (not that the previous shadowmeld weren't usable in combat at all) functioned like a lame stealth that you couldn't even move in. The only use it had was that NE's could eat and then shadowmeld or in the case of rogues and druids... shadowmeld while waiting for stealth to get off CD and restealth. yes it was that worthless.

in pve, yes.
    in BGs(in before "who gives a crap about BGs", there was only way to get pvp ranks - through BGs)? It was really frustrating when we went to cap a flag, NE hunter masked with his stealth commando kitty could delay capping by ALOT. and by alot, I mean more-than-pala-with-bubble-and-LoH-on-CD ALOT. it had its uses and my NE hunter (original main, but didnt quite enjoyed him after dinging 60) loved it.