Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Lady of the Lore Syrra Coventry's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Farewell, my fellow story writers

As of today, my account with World of Warcraft has been canceled. RealID and Bob Kotick are the reasons.

Because of this, I cannot, in good conscience, continue to use their IP to write my fanfic. I will no longer be developing Call of the Wolf, Syrra's Jounral, or Shadow Armor, let alone any other story based on WoW's "universe".

Further, all references on my web blog are due to come down within 24 hours.

When all is said and done, my personal privacy, security, and identity, as well as those of my family, are more important than any game. Period.

I will miss you all. :\

well... this really sucks...

I'm going to miss reading your stories. They were very good.

I know I'm talking for everyone here on the RP forums that you will be missed

By the way... who the heck is Bob Kotick? I don't may much attention to names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kotik is the CEO of activision.
    And he's a completely moronic asshole.
    :3

Luvly!

Anyway though, back to mourning *dons a tier 10 pally skirt dyed black*

I really don't see the issue about this RealID. Just don't use the official forums, MMO-Champion forums are way better anyway.

About Activision though... yeah, you're probably right.

10+ Year Old Account
    The official forums are the easiest and fastest way to put your feedback out where Blizz can see. Not to mention tech support is faster on the forums than any other method.
    That's why people are hating the RealID.
    Plus if everyone stops posting, that makes it less of a community.

Then if everyone stops posting, as you say the community will be lessened, it will give Blizzard reasoning to realize that people don't like putting private info out there, and they will hopefully take back this Real ID crap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Since when did your name become "private info" ?
    Some people have very different names like mine(I googled myself and found myself right away)and random people will be able to find your personal information, but this is not to discuss that.

Fair well Syrra, I liked your stories.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I don't understand people's logic here.

Unless on your public stuff you blatantly say who you are in the World of Warcraft, no one has any means to back up that it's you. It isn't difficult to find someone, yes, but from a game, it is. How are they supposed to figure out that you are the John Doe in LA, California at a certain address, when in reality you live 2 blocks down?

Don't be a dumbass, and this RealID thing won't affect you at all.

Good Bye.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2010-07-08 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Got rid of the rude
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    well... this really sucks...

I'm going to miss reading your stories. They were very good.

I know I'm talking for everyone here on the RP forums that you will be missed

By the way... who the heck is Bob Kotick? I don't may much attention to names.
    Thank you, Madgod... I'm going to miss you, too. :\

Edit:

Actually, you know what... This isn't the place for this argument, beyond me saying that some of the responses here show exactly why I've made this decision.

To those I have known and become friends with here, I'll miss you greatly.

To those who have shown their true colors and how nasty and insensitive they can be? I hope that life hands you all that you ask for...literally...

You realize that you can just stop posting in the official forums, right? Unless they change it further, it's fine the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylanir View Post
    You realize that you can just stop posting in the official forums, right? Unless they change it further, it's fine the way it is.
    Thats such weird reasoning imo, thats like saying that you should stay of the streets if you don't want to get mugged. Besides it's a very slippery slope.

I don't know you or your work syrra, but it's sad to see someone leave something they love just to protect their privacy and integrity.
    I completely understand you though, I'm most likely quitting to. I don't want my name to go public (I'm not unique, but unique enough to worry)or 'support' a company that does this, even if it wouldn't effect me since I don't use the official forums.

Good luck out there, hope you will find something new and refreshing.
    "Remember, remember the 6th of July.
    The Real ID treason and Plot.
    I see no reason why the Real ID Treason
    Should ever be forgot."

10+ Year Old Account
    Another "omg realID is out to get me" QQ thread..ya know if you want to quit playing the game because of this..fine. Do it. But what do you honestly hope to accomplish by making this thread? Yeah, it sucks you got your identity stolen once before, but that does not mean the rest of America is just waiting for another oppertunity to get their hands on your bank account. This damn feature is not that big of a deal, and you tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists are claiming the end of the world (of warcraft)
    The reason I made this thread was to bid those I've come to enjoy and respect a fond farewell... You, I neither enjoy, nor respect, especially considering your nasty response...which demonstrates just one of the many reasons I am leaving. Thank you for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another "omg realID is out to get me" QQ thread..ya know if you want to quit playing the game because of this..fine. Do it. But what do you honestly hope to accomplish by making this thread? Yeah, it sucks you got your identity stolen once before, but that does not mean the rest of America is just waiting for another oppertunity to get their hands on your bank account. This damn feature is not that big of a deal, and you tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists are claiming the end of the world (of warcraft)

wow ashole did you read his post .... I dont know him but looks like he is a story writher and people like his storys and he is here to say he is quiting wow reason is not just RealID. he doos not agree with the new ToS of blizzard activision

Quote Originally Posted by Pretentious View Post
    I don't understand people's logic here.

Unless on your public stuff you blatantly say who you are in the World of Warcraft, no one has any means to back up that it's you. It isn't difficult to find someone, yes, but from a game, it is. How are they supposed to figure out that you are the John Doe in LA, California at a certain address, when in reality you live 2 blocks down?

Don't be a dumbass, and this RealID thing won't affect you at all.
    I don't understand your ignorance.

Doesn't matter if it is "just a name". Facts are, forums are associated with computers. Computers are associated with IPs. And, unless your IP is very well protected, people can use your IP AND your name and find you quite easily. There is information out on the internet of just about everyone, due to census and other government oriented deals. But that doesn't mean you should go around giving just anyone your name (and, to an extension, your IP) either.

I mean, Jesus Christ, do parents not teach their kids about privacy these days? When I was growing up, my parents would always preach about not giving any of my info--not even my name--out to just any stranger on the internet. Where the hell did those days go?

ok instead of us researching it why dont you tell us what exactly he's going to do with our information that has you so worried into leaving?
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace- Jimi Hendrix

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.- General Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Syrra Coventry View Post
    The reason I made this thread was to bid those I've come to enjoy and respect a fond farewell... You, I neither enjoy, nor respect, especially considering your nasty response...which demonstrates just one of the many reasons I am leaving. Thank you for that.
    I don't know you, Syrra, but I'm sure plenty of people will miss your presence. It is a shame that people are leaving over this whole fiasco, and that people who are ignorant of just what the internet can do to you is alarming.

Anyone defending Blizzard in this is a complete moron. You play a game to escape real life, NOT to drag it in with you. Or have you forgotten that little fact when you log in to play World of Warcraft, a *FANTASY* MMO?

"Cleaning up the forums" is nothing more than a poorly doctored spin so morons, such as Blizzard defenders in this, blindly believe that this is for their benefit. Sure, it'll clean up the forums some by getting rid of all the USEFUL posts, but trolls will still happen. I can't wait to hear how dumbasses defend Blizzard again when they decide that RealID is mandatory with the Armory -- after all, that's "optional" as well!

It boils down to you either defend Blizzard and don't care about the ramifications of what this will *potentially* do to your privacy as well as what may very well affect all future games from other companies that become just as greedy.... or you do the intelligent thing and proclaim to Blizzard just how much you're disgusted a company who's game is built around escaping real life that's forcing you to try to mesh the two. You either blindly support and pay, or you wisen up and quit.

There is no other option. Not using the official forums does absolutely zilch.

no ill support them every step of the way if it gets rid of paranoid pricks and forum trolls like me.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2010-07-08 at 02:23 PM.
    LOL, look at this angry kid go. Sounds like someone is bleeding from the vagina today. I don't know what I said to piss you off like this, kid, but I do know you must have TONS of friends and a healthy social life with that personality!-(Sindershock)
    The hardcore players are happy with the difficulty (with the exception of Buzzkill, who seems to enjoy complaining)
    Plagued Proto-Drakes suddenly become "Slightly Infected Chicken Drakes", or "Last Nights Takeaway Drakes".chronalis
    `Trolls need locks, wtf. It only fucking makes the most sense.`