Dynamic events/ untraditional quests the evolution of the MMO?

Firstly this is not a "gw2 will kill wow" thread.
    From what Anet has published about their questing/event system it seems like an organic evolution away from the traditional quest format. While this is impossible to retrofit into WoW. What do y'all think?
    Their initial story is below:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ents-overview/

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Dynamic events/ untraditional quests the evolution of the MMO?

I think if they can pull it off, they will set a very high bar and effectively recreate MMO questing.
    If they can't pull it off, it'll end up as another sad gimmick that WoW doesn't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

my bet is that they pull it off. I'm an optimist!

15+ Year Old Account

I just woke up and don't want to read it...

But how will it deal with, say, I need something from X quest, but person Y failed at the quest now the quest giver for X is dead?

read it

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    I think if they can pull it off, they will set a very high bar and effectively recreate MMO questing.
    If they can't pull it off, it'll end up as another sad gimmick that WoW doesn't have.
    I'll have to agree with this. MMORPG's have followed a already paved road since Everquest (and maybe a few games before that). The reason this paved road is so heavily followed is because everyone likes how it is paved (...with those sexy painted lines!).

So, Guild War 2 is taking a bit of a risk trying to avoid said road (...with sexy lines!). So this can turn into a massive gimmick that could ruin the game. But I would like to see it work out for them.

Arena Net rarely comes across as pompus without a reason, and they've made repeated jabs at Wrath (if the ENTIRE expansion was good storytelling or completely predictable "Was the death of Arthas really storytelling?" "guess not everyone pretty much knew it was going to happen.")<---paraphrased from an interview with ZAM. Also they've been really sellin this idea hard. I don't think that they're becoming so bold without a very very good reason.