Old Pets or New Pets? Which do you like?

Ok so the subject might be a little misleading so let me clarify:

Do you guys miss having to go out and learn the abilities of your pets? Or do you prefer the new style where you tame basically any pet and it automatically learns new abilities and/or ranks as it levels?

Don't be mistaken... I'm talking skills and abilities, NOT the talent trees.

I LOVE the talent trees, but I personally preferred going out and "learning" new ranks of skills and teaching them to my main pet. What do you guys think?
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Deleted

Re: Old Pets or New Pets? Which do you like?

I like it as is now, altough the last 5 levels could be given too - im no RP person.

Quote Originally Posted by Meythia
    I like it as is now, altough the last 5 levels could be given too - im no RP person.
    forgot to mention that... I'm also not talking about the auto level thing they added (which is much better than training a level 20 pet lol)

Strictly pet abilities
    ^win

To be honest i liked the old system more, i enjoyed having to look up where to get the best ranks for my pet. It was fun.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Speaking of pet abilities, I wish there was one that allowed us to reset their talent trees while in raids, so we could fine tune their talent builds for particular fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Skybluesky
    Speaking of pet abilities, I wish there was one that allowed us to reset their talent trees while in raids, so we could fine tune their talent builds for particular fights.
    technically speaking... your pet should be "fine tuned" for all fights, since theres really only 1 pet spec
    ^win

That's debatable. Yes, there's 1 spec that yields the highest dps, but there are some fights where maybe that's not as important as survivability, mobility, utility, etc. I understand the desire to be able to constantly adapt pets. The good news is with the new "active pet" system in cataclysm you can keep a few raid pets handy and easily switch from fight to fight (I suppose you could actually do that now but we're fairly restricted by stable space currently).

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterpinte
    To be honest i liked the old system more, i enjoyed having to look up where to get the best ranks for my pet. It was fun.
    It was tedious. You either spent hours and hours running around zones casting beast lore or you tabbed out and went to the online resources. I don't find reading some website and then going and taming a pet for 5 minutes till I learn the skill then abandoning it fun. Not to mention it requires a free stable slot to be open at all times (and this was back when we only had 3). I love the talent system, and if it changes they way I suspect it's going to in Cat, I'll be happy.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

I preferred the old system. To be completely honest, it was a dead giveaway to the hunters that knew the class and took the time, and the people that had no idea what they were doing.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    I preferred the old system. To be completely honest, it was a dead giveaway to the hunters that knew the class and took the time, and the people that had no idea what they were doing.
    I loved the old system. I also loved when pets had flavor, like this pet has a fast chase speed, this pet attacks fast, this pet has high resistances. Made going out and choosing a pet mean more than what's top deeps.

I used to care that my pet existed, now, he's just another DoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    I loved the old system. I also loved when pets had flavor, like this pet has a fast chase speed, this pet attacks fast, this pet has high resistances. Made going out and choosing a pet mean more than what's top deeps.

EXACTLY!!!
    ^win

Exactly. And I miss when there were "caster" pets that were inherently worse to tame than other pets, but some had the exact same skins. Was another good disparity between hunters.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

I think we need to remember that Blizzard's intent is for any player to be able to play successfully (in non-endgame scenarios) without outside resources and the default UI. There was nothing that indicated when you tamed a caster pet so if you didn't check petopia then you ended up with an inherently weaker pet. I agree that this kind of thing should be taken out of the game. It's like making a game where in order to play you are required to buy a strategy guide, which is not exactly fair to the players who didn't know that when they bought it.

I do kinda miss the days when certain pets had unique buffs, and I do think there is room to include this type of trait for mobs in certain zones (ie: Polar bears with frosty paws with a unique frost attack or swipe does frost damage sounds "fun" to me. As long as it doesn't give that particular bear a universal advantage, then there wouldn't be a problem implementing it imo.) Just make it the entire population of a certain area and not named mobs to avoid the griefing that sometimes occurs with rare pets ^^;;

I don't miss the days when we had to track down pets to learn pet skill ranks for the reasons others brought up. The most annoying thing for me was having to keep a stable slot free for disposable pets which left me with only 2 slots for keepers I don't think they are going to reverse this change because all toons will be moving in a similar direction come Cata... There will only be one rank of each ability available to use, but we will still have to hit up a trainer to learn new ranks when we level.

10+ Year Old Account

I prefer it this way, to be honest, I prefer to raid, rather than dealing with a whiny pet, that I see only as a skill rank, and not as a useful addition to my playing.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman80
    I think we need to remember that Blizzard's intent is for any player to be able to play successfully (in non-endgame scenarios) without outside resources and the default UI. There was nothing that indicated when you tamed a caster pet so if you didn't check petopia then you ended up with an inherently weaker pet. I agree that this kind of thing should be taken out of the game. It's like making a game where in order to play you are required to buy a strategy guide, which is not exactly fair to the players who didn't know that when they bought it.

I do kinda miss the days when certain pets had unique buffs, and I do think there is room to include this type of trait for mobs in certain zones (ie: Polar bears with frosty paws with a unique frost attack or swipe does frost damage sounds "fun" to me. As long as it doesn't give that particular bear a universal advantage, then there wouldn't be a problem implementing it imo.) Just make it the entire population of a certain area and not named mobs to avoid the griefing that sometimes occurs with rare pets ^^;;

I don't miss the days when we had to track down pets to learn pet skill ranks for the reasons others brought up. The most annoying thing for me was having to keep a stable slot free for disposable pets which left me with only 2 slots for keepers I don't think they are going to reverse this change because all toons will be moving in a similar direction come Cata... There will only be one rank of each ability available to use, but we will still have to hit up a trainer to learn new ranks when we level.
    Once you learned an ability you kept it. A good level 60 hunter had 3 free slots and didn't have to go taming random pets anymore. It just meant that while leveling you had to take a second and learn something about the second half of your class, rather than just hit pet attack before every pull.

10+ Year Old Account

I wasn't a hunter during this time, but I always remember my guilds hunters taming basically every pet in hopes of finding the best one possible, and then I'd let their pets die in raid muhahaha.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

I like how old pets look compared to new pets.

For example,
    New wolves look Anorexic.
    Old Wolves (Especially the ones modeled after the Mounts) look awesome as hell, sure they could use a graphical upgrade, but they look... natural.

To be fair, there isn't a lot of food in Northrend.

10+ Year Old Account

Plenty of baby polar bears in dragonblight to munch on IMO

Honestly, I thought the old skill method was a really, really stupid design. It makes almost zero sense that in order to learn a new skill for your pet, you had to stable your current one, go out and tame a new one, train that one a little, and only then could you learn it on your original. I mean, isn't the whole pet thing supposed to be a loyal companion?

I think the new way of learning makes a lot more sense.

I kind of liked how pets were unique, but at the same time, people will always try to find the best pet. I think that simply making every pet the same aside from model and an ability would, while making pet choice little more than a cosmetic decision, add some degree of uniqueness in raids.

Can't remember the last time I used Beast Lore.