10+ Year Old Account

Did I screw up on the cpu?

So basically when I built this computer two years ago I bought the q6600 quad core cpu with 2.4Ghz. I have been told that with the duo core 2 series cpu's, they run games better than the quad cores back in 2008 like the q6600. The thing is though I don't know if that is a fact. So anyway, last year I bought the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Hgz. Now.... Here is the question. Did I basically screw myself over and downgrade my computer? More specifically for gaming needs? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by BondExtreme View Post
    So basically when I built this computer two years ago I bought the q6600 quad core cpu with 2.4Ghz. I have been told that with the duo core 2 series cpu's, they run games better than the quad cores back in 2008 like the q6600. The thing is though I don't know if that is a fact. So anyway, last year I bought the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Hgz. Now.... Here is the question. Did I basically screw myself over and downgrade my computer? More specifically for gaming needs? Thx
    eh yes and no. Years ago, ya quad core did nothing for games. Today, games are taking advantage of many many threads. WoW, itself really only uses 1-2 main threads, and some smaller threads for sound processing, so you won't see a huge diff just yet. So in short, today quad core makes a difference for newer games, and will make more of a difference in wow in the near future.

Games like Metro 2033, BFBC2 and anything newer with intensive graphics, will use quad core.
    Last edited by Jiran; 2010-06-20 at 07:15 AM.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks. It's just when I went to the from the quad core to the duo core, I didn't notice any difference in WoW... As in frames. I kept everything at max except the shadows were put on medium. I would still get like 10frames in Dal.... My computer isn't bad either. GTX260gpu and 8Gb of DDR2 RAM. A very nice sound card too. Though when I used to play WoW, I was running Vista so that may of been a big problem. I have Win 7 now though ;D

Whatever though. Later this fall I will be doing a massive upgrade on my computer. New motherboard, new AMD 6 Core CPU (3.2Ghz), new DDR3 RAM, and the 5850. With all this I SHOULD get amazing frames and "graphics" in the game. If not I will have no idea what the problem is.

Ok thanks. It's just when I went to the from the quad core to the duo core, I didn't notice any difference in WoW... As in frames. I kept everything at max except the shadows were put on medium. I would still get like 10frames in Dal.... My computer isn't bad either. GTX260gpu and 8Gb of DDR2 RAM. A very nice sound card too. Though when I used to play WoW, I was running Vista so that may of been a big problem. I have Win 7 now though ;D

Whatever though. Later this fall I will be doing a massive upgrade on my computer. New motherboard, new AMD 6 Core CPU (3.2Ghz), new DDR3 RAM, and the 5850. With all this I SHOULD get amazing frames and "graphics" in the game. If not I will have no idea what the problem is.
    You do know that amd 6 core only really performs sub par to some of intel's current i series quads. It really only shines in programs like CS5, video encoding etc. Gaming its lagging behind.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiran View Post
    You do know that amd 6 core only really performs sub par to some of intel's current i series quads. It really only shines in programs like CS5, video encoding etc. Gaming its lagging behind.
    In a few of the benchmarks I have seen, it even lagged behind the Phenom II x4's in gaming performance. They're really not a well polished chip at this point, and sadly, pretty much a waste of cash.

The 5850 is going to be old hat by then . You want amazing frames buy an i7 930, oc the crap out of it, with 6gigs of ddr3, and a nvidia gtx 480 or an ati 5870. Go two cards while youre at it, if you play more than just wow. Just stay away from that garbage 6 core amd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiran View Post
    The 5850 is going to be old hat by then . You want amazing frames buy an i7 930, oc the crap out of it, with 6gigs of ddr3, and a nvidia gtx 480 or an ati 5870. Go two cards while youre at it, if you play more than just wow. Just stay away from that garbage 6 core amd.
    LOL! I was thinking of getting two 5850's.... The 5870 is just waaaay expensive. Over $400 freaken bucks. Are you kidding me? lol. Anyway I see that I7 you talked about is less expensive than the 6 core AMD... Now what is the safe point to OC that I7 to? At least 4Ghz maybe? I have one of those nice freeze heat sink fans.. so..

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL! I was thinking of getting two 5850's.... The 5870 is just waaaay expensive. Over $400 freaken bucks. Are you kidding me? lol. Anyway I see that I7 you talked about is less expensive than the 6 core AMD... Now what is the safe point to OC that I7 to? At least 4Ghz maybe? I have one of those nice freeze heat sink fans.. so..
    Dual 5850's is more expensive than a 5870. On top of that, WoW doesn't support CrossFire, so the second card won't improve performance at all as far as WoW is concerned.

An i7 can go to 4GHz or more, depending on the cooling setup. I believe 3.8-4.0GHz is the "standard" overclock, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    For AMD- Phenom II 965 and OC it to 4.0

A quad core chip running at 4.0ghz for $180 isn't that damn bad eh?

Last edited by Dethh; 2010-06-22 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik765 View Post
    For AMD- Phenom II 965 and OC it to 4.0

A quad core chip running at 4.0ghz for $180 isn't that damn bad eh?
    What he said - for a gaming build go with AMD, buy a cheap, good CPU cooler and OC, cheaper than going Intel. Also if you are tossing up between GTX4 series and ATI 48** series, go the ATI.

Don't forget that your internet connection can also affect your FPS - if you're running wireless, get a decent router / cable setup.

basically. try switchin it