Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Skada VS Recount

Been thinking about switching to skada for a while now and would like to know why or why not i should do it.

Are the numbers accurate or maybe even more accurate in skada, and so forth.

(this is probably the 340th post about this but the searchfunction was disabled and i couldnt be arsed to scroll thru more than 10 pages of posts.)

Skada doesn't start recording until you're actually in combat, so it gives funny numbers compared to recount sometimes. On the upside however, if you download the HealingAbsorbs thing for it, then it accurately adds absorbs onto healing, which is why I use it, seeing as absorbs are as good as healing, and im a priest, so meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by trainwreck
    If they do incorporate Worgen and Goblins as playable races it will be the last straw. I've let my children play this (somewhat evil) game in my Christian household for long enough. These changes will bring a whole new level of evil and Satanism that I can't stand by and let my kids experience. I will be cancelling.

Generally the consensus is that Skada takes up less memory.

It also records much less data, so if you're simply after a "DPS meter" which is pretty fire and forget, then go for Skada.

Recount records a lot more information, and if you use it to report to people, or see how someone died, or use the information in any important way, then Recount would come out on top.

Both addons show similar numbers when compared, Skada doesn't stop recording someone's DPS when they die, Recount does. So DoT class numbers may be pretty off.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Skada.
    In Recount I have trouble finding out how to see what caused players death? - is that even possible to see in recount?
    It is in Skada at least.
    Main & raiding character: Elchali, Holy Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Skada because its lightweight, easily customizable and has pretty colours

Quote Originally Posted by elchali View Post
    Skada.
    In Recount I have trouble finding out how to see what caused players death? - is that even possible to see in recount?
    It is in Skada at least.
    Go to the category called "Deaths", click the person you want to see, and it will show what damage/healing they took and how many seconds it was before they died. You can report this to the raid/party/guild or whatever also.
    Vol'jin Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vol'jin
    Ya will spend ya reign glancin' over ya shoulda and fearin' tha shadows, for when tha time comes and ya blood be slowly drainin' out, ya will know exactly who fired da arrow dat pierced ya heart.
    Where is your Garrosh now?

NO SMART FOR YOU

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, in my opinion, Recount vs. Skada is a bad comparison to make. Recount is an on-the-fly encounter analyzer, while Skada is a series of meters. Admittedly, 99% of people use Recount for just the meters, and nothing else - if you're one of that 99%, Skada is fine.

When I did raid leading in a previous guild, I used Recount. Now that I'm just a mook, I use Skada - I'm not trying to analyze anything, just wanna see quicky comparisons.

When it comes to accuracy, they're both very accurate - they just measure time in combat in different ways, which means you can't really compare Recount numbers to Skada numbers. It's an apples to oranges type of thing.

Until there is a recognised means by which you measure damage/healing in terms of how that relates to the time spent in combat then those two meters, and others will vary in their results.
    Nobody can give an answer as to what is the right or wrong way.
    Recount may be seen as a resource hog, but it offers a lot more, and some useful tools which like those seemingly offered by gearscore are overlooked due to being dazzled by big numbers.
    If you do nothing more than link your spammage meters, then skada is more than enough, but if you have the intent to get something useful out of the information then recount can offer that.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I will, however, say that Skada does include more tools than most people believe. I admit it has more tools than I thought it did. It's just not got quite the comprehensive suite that Recount provides.

didn't read what anyone else said but,

Recount is a memory whore but accurate
    Skada is inaccurate but uses less memory

Poop vs crap

Not innacurate, only different for the reasons I previously stated.
    Nobody can properly define how you calculate the numbers, and until that happens then they will vary.
    Each one is no more correct in its numbers than any others.

Skada is wrong simply because it does not agree with recount ?
    Then why is recount not wrong by that same arguement ?

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Skada is wrong simply because it does not agree with recount ?
    Then why is recount not wrong by that same arguement ?
    because recount cant be wrong. DUH! obvious fact is obvious. (hah)
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

IMO Skada is better as a go-to DPS or HPS meters, it provides more accurate numbers I think... but for overall raid utility Recount is better even if it doesn't have a fails function like Skada...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    'Hardcore' raiders remind me of my two-year-old. "Yes, I put it down and I'm not playing with it anymore, but YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

No it is not obvious.
    I have seen too many arguements flaming skada as being incorrect because it does not agree with their beloved recount.
    Demonstrated very well by Psychos.

Until people can agree on how you calculate the numbers, there is not one more accurate than the other because they are both using different, and valid methods.
    Until someone can put together a standard that people agree on, there is not one which is wrong, and not one which is right. Just slightly different.

If you want to look at your dps, use skada.
    If you want to analyse data (during a raid/instance when there's a short break), use recount.
    If you want to analyse data in depth, use a weblog program (World of Logs / WoW meters online).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Logg out, delete it (or take it off) and install a treat meter instead ... problem solved

Seriously ... i HATE the spamming this causes
    Last edited by muffinboy; 2010-06-21 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    If you want to look at your dps, use skada.
    If you want to analyse data (during a raid/instance when there's a short break), use recount.
    If you want to analyse data in depth, use a weblog program (World of Logs / WoW meters online).
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by elchali View Post
    Skada.
    It is in Skada at least.
    Yes, it is possible, if you chose the "deaths" tab, then click on an individual person, you can see what damages and heals they got before dieing.

Quote Originally Posted by muffinboy View Post
    Logg out, delete it (or take it off) and install a treat meter instead ... problem solved

Seriously ... i HATE the spamming this causes
    Skada automatically switches to threat mode when you are in combat.