Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneoldfogie View Post
    Skada doesn't start recording until you're actually in combat, so it gives funny numbers compared to recount sometimes. On the upside however, if you download the HealingAbsorbs thing for it, then it accurately adds absorbs onto healing, which is why I use it, seeing as absorbs are as good as healing, and im a priest, so meh.
    Recount has GuessedAbsorbs for pretty much the same purpose. But take absorb numbers with a grain of salt, because they are guessed.

After trying both i returned to recount since skada quickly becomes very inaccurate. Here's a simplified example of how both work on a specific scenario.

Say we have 3 dps cycles during a boss where we inflict 10+1+5 and 4+20+1 and 7+3+14 damage. I just call them cycles for the sake of the argument - basically they're just 3x3 seconds of consecutive dps.

Recount will calculate your dps by adding all the damage and split it by the active dps time. in this example say 9 (3x3) seconds. 65/9 = 7,22 dps
    This requires more data to be kept in the memory as it keeps track of all the damage done.

Skada will calculate your dps by calculating the average dps in a short period - drop all the data and only keep the average and then add the next cycles average and divide them by two. It also calculates in combat dps - not the active dps.
    So here we have the 3 cycles average dps.
    10+1+5=16(divided by 3 for dps) 4+20+1=25(/3) 7+3+17 =24(/3).

Cycle 1= 5,33 dps
    Cycle 2= 8,33 dps
    Cycle 3= 8 dps

First it adds 5.33+8.33 and divides it by two.
    5,33+8,33= 13,66 which gives us 6,83 in average.

Then that average is added to the next average.
    6,83+8=14,83 which is then divided by two for the final number 7,415 dps.

Now even in this very, very simple example skada is already off by almost 4%. Skada produces inaccurate numbers which theoretically can lead to a 50% error margin. Add to it that it also adds the time when you are in combat but not able to dps and you will get a lower number, albeit this is just a different approach to measuring dps.

Both meters have a tendancy to occasionally drop numbers and neither is perfect - but if you want to be able to make a quick comparison of your dps - use recount. If you want a pretty RNG-graph, use skada.
    Last edited by iniquitous; 2010-06-21 at 11:24 AM. Reason: clarification

Ultimately what matters is damage done. DPS is a second-grade data. And if you want to analyse how the damage was done, you should look for more sophisticated methods.

Quote Originally Posted by iniquitous View Post
    After trying both i returned to recount since skada quickly becomes very inaccurate. Here's a simplified example of how both work on a specific scenario.

Say we have 3 dps cycles during a boss where we inflict 10+1+5 and 4+20+1 and 7+3+14 damage. I just call them cycles for the sake of the argument - basically they're just 3x3 seconds of consecutive dps.

Recount will calculate your dps by adding all the damage and split it by the active dps time. in this example say 9 (3x3) seconds. 65/9 = 7,22 dps
    This requires more data to be kept in the memory as it keeps track of all the damage done.

Skada will calculate your dps by calculating the average dps in a short period - drop all the data and only keep the average and then add the next cycles average and divide them by two. It also calculates in combat dps - not the active dps.

Cycle 1= 5,33 dps
    Cycle 2= 8,33 dps
    Cycle 3= 8 dps

Now even in this very, very simple example skada is already off by almost 4%. Skada produces inaccurate numbers which theoretically can lead to a 50% error margin. Add to it that it also adds the time when you are in combat but not able to dps and you will get a lower number, albeit this is just a different approach to measuring dps.

Both meters have a tendancy to occasionally drop numbers and neither is perfect - but if you want to be able to make a quick comparison of your dps - use recount. If you want a pretty RNG-graph, use skada.

Sorry to say that, but you are wrong. Both tools just summarize total damage done during the fight (both tools are very accurate in doing so). The difference is the time those tools use to calculate DPS. Recount estimates an 'active time' while Skada just uses the time you are in combat. Both methods are inaccurate. Recount uses a 3.5 second threshold to determine inactivity. This is the reason why DOT classes can have less DPS then let's say an arcane mage while having more damage done (according to recount). Skada on the other side just uses the time while in combat even if dead. So if you did 100k while being alive for 10s and combat lasted 20s Skada calculates 5k DPS.

Recount is more precise if you want to measure your DPS while active (e.g. if you want to improve your damage rotation). Skada on the other hand delivers information you won't see in Recount (e.g. debuff uptime on target). As I am playing a feral (cat) this is very useful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dancm View Post
    Sorry to say that, but you are wrong. Both tools just summarize total damage done during the fight (both tools are very accurate in doing so). The difference is the time those tools use to calculate DPS. Recount estimates an 'active time' while Skada just uses the time you are in combat. Both methods are inaccurate. Recount uses a 3.5 second threshold to determine inactivity. This is the reason why DOT classes can have less DPS then let's say an arcane mage while having more damage done (according to recount). Skada on the other side just uses the time while in combat even if dead. So if you did 100k while being alive for 10s and combat lasted 20s Skada calculates 5k DPS.

Recount is more precise if you want to measure your DPS while active (e.g. if you want to improve your damage rotation). Skada on the other hand delivers information you won't see in Recount (e.g. debuff uptime on target). As I am playing a feral (cat) this is very useful for me.
    Agree with this.
    Nobody can tell you what is the right way to calculate the DPS figures, and I would be surprised if even a fraction of those flaming one meter for being wrong had the faintest idea that there are differing means of measuring it.
    Until there is a standard, and one everyone will actually agree on, then there is no right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychos View Post
    IMO Skada is better as a go-to DPS or HPS meters, it provides more accurate numbers I think...
    You think... I think you are a retard, not because I know, but because I have absolutely no idea... But I think so anyway... people care about what I think. So I help them decide, since I got absolutely no idea of what I am talking about... I think... wait?.. yeah, I still think so.
    "You're trying so hard you surpassed the title of Troll."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Does Blizz think before releasing a new zone? This place should be a sanctuary, we are supposed to be fighting Ragnaros and helping the Guardians of Hyjal."
    haha.. HAHA.. HAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAOMFGHAHA!!!!
    If I ever get a little bit tired after hours of farming alliance rats in world pvp, I just read that sentence, and I'm good to go for another few hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I prefer to use Skada at the moment. My frame of mind with the two varies from one month to the next, and I tend to use both liberally, if at different times.

Skada does take up less memory than Recount. And you're able to get some in-depth information from it on-the-fly, if you choose. I've used it to check how much of my healing Trauma counts for, or how much damage someone put out on the adds. It just doesn't break it down the same way that Recount does, and you have to dig a little bit more. I've seen my DPS and HPS measures come pretty close to the effective DPS and HPS numbers on WoL, but I've also seen some things go so far out of whack it's crazy.

Some of the measures that Recount has a very nice, like the pie charts and graphs that you can pull up. I've been wanting to try the real-time graph, but I haven't been running Recount lately, so... I do like that Recount defaults to showing you the DPS meter, whereas Skada defaults to the list of recorded fights.

Deleted
    Saying that a DPS meter is "inaccurate" is utter bullshit for the simple reason that, simply put, the addon can get notified for every single combat event (buff gained, buff lost, death, damage, dot tick, heal, etc. [generally everything that shows/can be shown in the combat log]). There is no way to miss any.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Saying that a DPS meter is "inaccurate" is utter bullshit for the simple reason that, simply put, the addon can get notified for every single combat event (buff gained, buff lost, death, damage, dot tick, heal, etc. [generally everything that shows/can be shown in the combat log]). There is no way to miss any.
    Damage done should be very accurate. DPS is dependent on an estimate of the amount of time spent fighting. Given different opinions about how this should be measured, there will be different results reported as DPS.

Absorbs meters are still unreliable in any fight where there is an absorb mechanic as part of the fight ( i.e. twin Valk ).

10+ Year Old Account
    I found that recount is easier to use, but skada has some functionality that recount doesn't have.
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As I've said, repeatedly, the only MAJOR difference is How They Measure Time Spent In Combat.

There are other differences, but apart from that one, it's mostly in how in-depth they are, and how many tools they offer to analyze the data they gather.

Skada is a meter with very light analyzation tools. Recount is an in-depth on-the-fly analyzation tool that also happens to do meters.

Quote Originally Posted by iniquitous View Post

Cycle 1= 5,33 dps
    Cycle 2= 8,33 dps
    Cycle 3= 8 dps

Please don't post retarded crap if you are completely clueless.

It took me less than a minute to download Skada and see how they compute DPS. It is nothing like what you just pulled out of your butt and sprayed on the page.

If you're curious, you could go download it and look to see. In case that is too much of a challenge, I'll boil it down for you:

DPS = <Total Damage Done By Player> / <Total Time Spent Doing Damage By Player>

Yes, you read that right... there is no excessive averaging and re-averaging. Just a simple one line calculation. This is the same thing that recount does. As has been stated multiple times, the DPS difference between the two is only related to the how each program decides how much time the player spent doing damage.

Doing this does not require saving all of the data as you stated. Skada just adds the damage to the total damage as it comes into the log. Recount saves the data so it can make pretty graphs. At the end of the day, the total damage that both produce are almost always very close to identical.

Sorry about the rant, but this kind of miss-information is just silly when it is so easy to download the addon and see what it is actually doing.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Daphoosa, I'll admit, most people would easily get lost trying to read the code of many addons - even I have to spend time puzzling at stuff, and I have programming experience.

If they both look the same basically, and more or less work the same, then who cares which one people use? The only advantage I could see with Skada is its built in threat meter, but that's not a huge draw for me, especially since I prefer Omen's skinning options and separate-ness from Recount.

Recount can get a threat module too.
    The problem being is that recount becoming the unofficial "standard" to which everything else is compared.
    They compare recount to skada with no knowledge of the fundamental difference between the two and immediatly cry foul and say skada is inaccurate because it does not match with the "holy grail" of recount.
    And yes the Lua scripting language is going to be way beyond a lot of people, and even with what I would call fair knowledge in Visual Basic it took me the best part of two days to get a LuaText in Pitbull 4 working, and a pretty simple one at that.

The damage done is almost identical between Recount and Skada. DPS is generally a worthless stat; total damage done (and possibly burst damage for certain phases but that's really more of a class thing and being smart enough to save cooldowns) is what matters.

Damage / healing or any other meters should be thought of as a useful tool, but like gearscore are all too often abused for the sake of big numbers.

This is informative.
    I will be switching to Skada now.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    The damage done is almost identical between Recount and Skada
    So why is it that when I used Skada (so much nicer on the eye) it never synced with anyone else using Skada, whereas recount users results were always synced? Did I miss something?

DPS vs effective DPS but skada includes absorbs. I look at my recount to see what i need to see and if theres something else like absorbs then i have someone post skada...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic