Lightbulb Disc priest troubles

I'm relatively new to arenas as a disc priest, and am having huge problems against rogues can anyone give me some pointers on how to do things please? the main problem im having is just those poisons. it just turns out that my heals can basically do nothing and crippling poison may aswell just be a permenant immobilization. i havent had any problem with them on my resto druid, but thats obviously cos i can dispel poisons and i have travel form etc.
    What i normally do if theres a rogue is when he stunlocks me i normally straight away put on pain suppression, then just let the stuns finish, then if he hasnt used cloak i would fear him, then i would shield myself, prayer of mending then put devouring plague and sw on if i can then holy nova spam with penance when its out of cd if i really need to heal myself. by this time hes probably got all his poisons on me and hes basically shafting me. so if im doing something wrong tell me, remember iv not exactly played in arenas on this priest for long so im quite new
    Thanks in advance
    unfortunately it wont let me link anything cos im new, but my priests name is shuruku if u want to look it up.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    maybe your just undergeared and their buring the crap outa you, but in most situations a disc priest should be able to out heal a rogues damage. try to juke with mind blast to force a kick to be wasted. link your armory so i can see your gear, i wont be a jerk i just wana get an idea on what your gear is like, i run disc/mut rogue for 2s.

Hi as a reponse to your question it does highly depend on your partner as well as you. I play on or with a priest in afew setups, I play Feral/Priest and Mage/Priest and against most rogue teams, my partner has to be defensivly assisting me for me to actually live (Cyclones/sheeps on the rogue. And even on the rogues partner)
    For instance against a Disc Priest/Rogue team, Although the rogues damage is very high.. its healable through. however with a disc priest nuking/dispelling you.. you dont actually stand a chance, so your partner has to either CC one of them, or put on enough pressure for them to play defensive
    As for dealing with rogues im sure everyone has their own ways, but from what ive read in my opinion you go too offensive while trying to heal.
    I always run in Shield/Renew/PoM when theres a rogue, and stay behind some form of LoS (Means their ranged partner "Normally" has to run round the pillar to dispel/start the fight on me) Pain Sup Early through the Cheap shot, if its a nuke team (Double dps) An early trinket on the Kidney is usually a good move although it can even be a live saver through the opening burst of a healer/rogue team.
    Once i have the ability to cast, its a shield, then a fear, then renew and Pom, Once this is all on generally the rogue would be back onto you. From then on (if you dont have some form of freedom to kite) your best bet is to stand still, fake cast the rogue with possibly a heal (use mind control if your not confident "so it interupts a shadow spell if you dont suceed rather than a heal") as soon as you know the interupt cant happen your going to greater heal and penance. (Flash is win, but greater heal will heal more in a shorter space of time - its just less mana efficient) Flash to top off small bits of health if needed. Remember You can Shield, And with the haste from shield "Borrowed Time" You can cast a greater heal then a penance (both will benefit from the haste, instead of the other way round, in which the greater heal wouldnt benefit.) I then only go offensive as long as im above 80% as with a rogue all it takes is for 1 stun and bang.. your down at 10% and you dont have a clue what to do. The thing with rogues are most will blow cooldowns stupidly fast.. meaning that once their gone.. the rogue is an easy kill, its just about playing defensive until their cooldowns are gone.
    But as i said at the start, its as much about what your partner does to do to help you, as you do yourself. Generally rogue games arnt ment to be long, blow cooldowns early (possibly shadowfiend offensively aswell) and use all kinds of things as little helpers.. (if your playing with a druid, and the rogue doesnt have a dispeller.. roots on the rogue is as good as cyclone, so abuse it .. 3 Cyclones.. 3 Roots -- 3 Sheeps... Deep Freeze.. Nova.. Nova... Sheep again etc etc.)
    Just work things out with your partner and keep practicing

Hope this helped

yeah im with a retri pala atm, hes pretty good at dispelling the poisons on me etc and helping me out when he can, but its just everytime we get a group with a rogue and say a shammy/disc/mage where they either spam purge/dispel/steal on me at the start of the fight while the rogue is nuking me and i just basically cant do anything to outheal it like basically my heals do nothing. i do ask him to like cure poison on me whenever he can etc and do as much cc as he can, at the moment i think its just me thats the problem tbh, well thanks for your advice ill try doing what you said, never thought of mind blasting to get him to kick me and that, thanks
    and btw i am 2 relentless,wrathful gloves, wg shoulders (+hit), and furious legs, all wrathful non set epics, got haste battlemaster trinket and the purified lunar dust,
    eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&cn=Shuruku

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    your gear isnt half bad, what your gona need to do against cleaves like that is drop a psycic scream, and here it can vary, if they dont trinket or both trinket the fear thats ok, hoj and rep the one that can dispell. if just one trinkets, hoj the one that did then rep after that, should give you enough time to kill their partner.
    Last edited by DiscoGhost; 2010-06-27 at 11:57 PM.

you should not really lose against a rogue except if the rogue do some fucking nice kick( and im not sure that he can beat me same, im full furious and i beat lot of wrathful rogue 1050 resi), for it do mind blast to get damages, dont forget to put a debuff on the rogue when you fear him(shadow word pain or devoring plague or both if you duel him) try to win time if you fear him to heal you to the top POM,renew,shield fast..

sorry for my english

Please. For the love of god. _DONT_ LET INNER FIRE DROP OFF.

Whenever I see some priest dueling a rogue and he lets IF drop off hes dead, so fast.

Ok saw your armory, you bought the wrong offset parts, they should have been the non spirit once aka Haste once. Wrong WG shoulders, should have been the once with haste. Wrong BM trinket, should have been SP one. Dont socket STAM, SP - Haste.

The reason why you loose to rogues is becuse you have to low haste, with the offset parts I am at 650 and 1250 resi depending if I use 277 PvE wep or t1 relentless one.

Fix this and you should have 1800 in no time, I know it might seem useless to farm new offset parts but its really needed.

Change your spec too. In the holy tree change 5/5 Divine Fury to 5/5 Spell Warding, since your not using a smite spec I guess you dont need the burst.

Glyph Inner Fire, it might seem useless but once you get used to having IF up you will never go back.

And since you are playing with a Ret paladin(bad comp btw) you should have a Smite spec wich means no defensive talents, you specc 2/2 in Divine Fury, glyph Smite and basicly just aim to score a fast kill with wings + PI.
    Last edited by macke; 2010-06-28 at 01:39 AM.

I am also new to Arena on my disc, Im running Disc/Muti rogue, Against rogues I find it great to drop a pain suppression on myself and save trink for the next or if they switch to your partner. I use pain suppression at the start it allows me to get Dots and dispels on him, Aswell as him taking damage from "Reflective shield". (While my rogue partner is keeping the healer far away)The rogue will eventually die or the healer will try to rush and heal the rogue and hence maybe making himself die.

For Double Dps teams when a rogue is on me, ill do everything exactly the same but also drop "shadow fiend" on him for that extra damage.

I always try to save Fear for when his cloak is gone or if he is at low HP so you can get a fast holy fire or something on him.

You will also need your partner to play defensive incase you or him need the help. Fake casting is a must against rogues and haste is great also.

Hope all this made sense and you find it useful
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

If you don't have 1200 resilience minimum, rogues will eat you alive. Priest NEED 1200 resilience to survive. That the way Blizz wants it, thats the way it will be.

Rogues have much more leeway. If they have the best gear, they will almost kill you, if their gear is OK, they wont almost kill you, but they will get dame close. As a priest, if you don't have THE VERY BEST GEAR, you will go down, guaranteed.

To add something, somebody said: “Greater Heal is less mana efficient than Flash Heal”, It’s exactly the opposite. Greater heal and Penance are among the most mana efficient spells in the priest’s arsenal. I remember doing a lot of testing with a few friends. The problem with GH is the insane casting time

Even Improved FH couldn’t surpass GH’s mana efficiency.

Back on topic. An equally geared rogue (and decently skilled) can probably tear a priest apart, but it all depends on both. Try to think from the rogue’s perspective, see what he uses. 90% will open with Cheap Shot + Kidney + Mut mut mut mut… Don’t waste PS or Trinket on the first CH+Kidney unless you drop too fast, sometimes they don’t do a lot of damage to conserve energy. Think that a rogue needs energy to burst. Your priority is to heal yourself, then your partner, then dps. Always try to have a shield up. Have a renew and the first burst will be ok. Holy nova if you see him near or believe he might be around, that scares them. Fake cast a lot. They will have the kick ready to interrupt you, use Mind Control or mind blast (if they don’t do anything, that’s dps). ALWAYS put a dot or two, so you do DPS and they have to use cloak of shadows to come back. Be ready for them to open on you, do some dps, and then vanish and reopen, that’s when Pain Sup must be used. If you fear them, dot and HEAL; nothing is more annoying than dropping a target to 30% only to see him go back to 100% in two GCDs while you’re feared.

Beware of Sub rogues with Shadow Dance and a shitload of ambushes/backstabs. They will have a little bit less Burst, but will be much much more annoying and unpredictable. A shadow dance can end up in a series of ambushes or a cheap shot! so beware.

Keep a renew, always on you. If you’re topped and have a shield, use that time to refresh your dots or holy nova/mind blast/holy fire/smite+smite+smite+smite.

Don’t forget your Power infusion either defensively (faster casts) or to burst with the above. Divine Prayer is also a life saver, use it early, use it often.

Again, if it’s a Sub rogue, try to do 180º turns, not giving him your back, that can frustrate some abilities. If your partner is sapped next to you, don’t hesitate fearing the area, you’ll catch a lot of rogues that way. Dot them instantly after that.

Good luck!
    Use your hymns when you can. The healing one heals a lot, and will also heal your partner.

1 tip!!!!! interruptbar!!!!! (its an addon -.-)