Poll: Does your Area have a Drive-In anymore?

Drive-In Movie Theaters.

The area I live (where I currently living I should say), there is a Drive-In Movie Theater that is still running. When there's a movie that is out, and if I have nothing to do that evening, I will go there and watch somthing. Which is great, because the one near me plays 2 movies for the price of 1 (good unless the first movie sucks).

What about you, do you have a Drive-in Movie Theater where you live, and if so, how often do you go?

Also, kinda sad that Drive-In's are shutting down, I would prefer to be in my Car more than I would rather be in a cramp movie theater with a bunch of loud people and their crying children...
    Last edited by Daginni; 2010-06-28 at 09:55 PM.

Back in the day, drive-ins weren't about the movie, they were about sex in the back seat. FTW!!

Today though, when you watch a movie, it's more about the experience of the movie, the sound, the action, etc... and now with 3D technology going crazy, the total immersion into the film. You just can't get that at a drive-in.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    Back in the day, drive-ins weren't about the movie, they Today though, when you watch a movie, it's more about the experience of the movie, the sound, the action, etc... and now with 3D technology going crazy, the total immersion into the film. You just can't get that at a drive-in.
    That is where I am going to have to disagree with you. 3D is a gimmick, and ungodly amounts of CGI usually means crappy story. I watch a movie to get a good story, if a movie cannot do that, I am not interested.

I miss drive-ins, I remember seeing a lot of my first movies there.
    I'm one of the ones that hopes the 3D craze is just a passing fad...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think all the drive-ins are closed in and around Austin, Texas. But that's ok because we have The Alamo Drafthouse http://www.drafthouse.com/ Pizza and beer when watching a flick always a good time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea got 2 in the metroplex of Dallas/Ft. Worth, all out in the middle of nowhere and 50+ miles from anything, doubt I'll go to one, they were fun when i had a short attention span and could just walk around seeing what other movies were playing, now it's just like any other theater. They could be fun, but IDK i like the air conditioned movie theaters better. Even if they have annoying teenagers on cellphones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    That is where I am going to have to disagree with you. 3D is a gimmick, and ungodly amounts of CGI usually means crappy story. I watch a movie to get a good story, if a movie cannot do that, I am not interested.
    While I agree that 3D is somewhat unnecessary, atleast currently, I must disagree with it being a gimmick. I'm fairly sure it's here to stay.

Also, about CGI; WALL-E was nothing but CGI, but it rocked my world, along with almost all Pixars with "ungodly amounts of CGI". And I bet LOTR has a sucky story too, thanks to ungodly amounts of CGI. I agree on movies like, lets say, Transformers, but saying that CGI -> Crappy movie/story is just bullshit.

Anyhow, I don't know if there have ever even been any drive-in theaters in Finland. So, I've never been to one. I've always wanted to try, really, but perhaps more for the backseat sex than the movie. I can't imagine how watching a movie from you car could in any way substitute a good theater. Majority of your FOV is obscured by your car interior and the sound quality must be horrid. If I want to watch a movie in peace with poor sound system, I can do that at home.

I don't know how the regular movie theaters and movie-goers are in the States then, but I guess pretty horrible if there's always loud people and crying children around. I can really only remember one time when I'm REALLY been disturbed in a movie theater. But then again, I rarely go see the newest blockbuster on a friday night. When ever I'm going to a movie, I'm going there for the overall experience, not just the story. Good stories I can pick up in a book.