Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tried FFXI a little while after all the fuss had calmed down. I found

a) Was very hard to get into and catch up
    b) Required a lot of teamwork to do mostly everything
    c) Was very slow and repetitive

I love the single player games, but I couldn't get into it. Maybe because I started late, but I joined WoW a year or so late and I fitted right in. It was a different sort of game. FF much more grindy and group dependant. Good for some, not for me, i like to solo mostly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post

I love the single player games, but I couldn't get into it. Maybe because I started late, but I joined WoW a year or so late and I fitted right in. It was a different sort of game. FF much more grindy and group dependant. Good for some, not for me, i like to solo mostly.
    They've made FFXIV not group dependant. And where isn't leveling repetitive?

Im amazed that people think WoW has the same old content when its probably the fastest and most updated game in the history of gaming....you get a new expansion every 2 years and several major content patches every 6+ months or so, now I agree WOTLK was a bit of a let down in terms of new raids and difficulty, but you cant moan about the lack of content. Correct me if im wrong but I dont think any other MMO comes anywhere near WoWs pace of releasing new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razac View Post
    Im amazed that people think WoW has the same old content when its probably the fastest and most updated game in the history of gaming....you get a new expansion every 2 years and several major content patches every 6+ months or so, now I agree WOTLK was a bit of a let down in terms of new raids and difficulty, but you cant moan about the lack of content. Correct me if im wrong but I dont think any other MMO comes anywhere near WoWs pace of releasing new content.
    The new "content" you're referring to can also be referred to as same shit in different package.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    The new "content" you're referring to can also be referred to as same shit in different package.
    As can every single expansion to every single game ever in existence. Dont like it? Stop playing video games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VonGimli View Post
    As can every single expansion to every single game ever in existence. Dont like it? Stop playing video games.
    Not as bad as Wow.

I played FFXI before wow for a long time, it was very much based on group play which in the end had to be considered a negative to the game..not being able to do something alone wasnt fun at all however, ive seen some of the things people could do at 75 and it was unbelievable and the skill some people showed was good.

A big + for me though was the ability to unlock roles..this i liked it gave people something to work towards....had the first 2 expansions but couldnt readily be a summoner or dragoon etc, i liked the unlocking more things to do.

Economy on XI was poor to say the least, way too many gil sellers / buyers and as a result making gil was hard work.

OK that was XI now as far as XIV is concerned not much is actually known but there is an excellent story on the official site about how dynamic the game is with its armoury system...showing that doing different jobs is simply a changing your weapon situation which for me was a big positive...i also like the ability to change the quests to suit you option. I know poeple dont always go on graphics but its a big thing for me, if i am going to spend hours playing a game it has to look good and XIV certainly does.

Biggest negative though has to be the "new" game scenario, there will likely be plenty of bugs etc and other issues that will arise, i'd like to know about the end game cntent etc and what its all going to be about in the end. However i like many others will be pre ordering this game, and have already opted for a place in the Beta so fingers crossed.

Cata.....hmm

What is there to say, i know many people dont agree with my opinion but wow is stale for me. I dont particularly want to raid most nights and cba with arena'ing...not much else worthwhile really. I was really disappointed at start of WotLK when the 1st raid was recycled naxx AND the 1st tier gear was also recycled...i did like how sarth 3d was hard and something to fight for but on the whole not really interested (plus i really dislike vehicle / mount fights)

As far as cata is concerned, allowing races to be more classes and adding 2 more races isnt something that will convince me to play, i would like a BELF warrior for the lols but im not gonna buy a game that in all likelyhood ill not get to 85 anyway. I know many RL people who feel the same as me though tbh and if im at all honest i only ever came back to wow recently well because i was bored and it is quite scary how much time it takes up.

On the whole...i am much more of an FF fanboy (i still play 7 and 8 through PS store on my PS3..although i though XIII was good it wasnt as good as some prior releases) than i am a WoW fan...

To all the people in FFXIV i say good luck and i hope you enjoy..i know i will

For all the people staying true to WoW...have fun guys and girls i sincerely hope you enjoy it

10+ Year Old Account
    They've made FFXIV not group dependant. And where isn't leveling repetitive?
    Levelling is always repetitive but I found WoW ok for the most part. You literally go to a zone, do all the quests, move to the next zone, do all the quests and then eventually you are there.

I found FFXI a lot more "kill, kill, kill" and you needed a group, but not only a group but the right group.

I did find things to like about it though, they had some really nice zones, I liked the class system and it was definetly the best/closest thing I've played other than WoW.

If they've learnt from their mistakes, XIV could be really good, no question. But they need to accmmodate solo players better. I levelled as a holy priest in WoW, 1-80. You couldn't do anything as a white mage without a group.

Deleted
    Levelling is always repetitive but I found WoW ok for the most part. You literally go to a zone, do all the quests, move to the next zone, do all the quests and then eventually you are there.

I found FFXI a lot more "kill, kill, kill" and you needed a group, but not only a group but the right group.

I did find things to like about it though, they had some really nice zones, I liked the class system and it was definetly the best/closest thing I've played other than WoW.

If they've learnt from their mistakes, XIV could be really good, no question. But they need to accmmodate solo players better. I levelled as a holy priest in WoW, 1-80. You couldn't do anything as a white mage without a group.
    I agree with that.. it was a bit grindish, but they've marketed FFXIV gamepaly as extremely lore based gameplay, and if you enjoy such things then the boredom part should be less than it was in FFXI. Also the fix that you can switch from one discipline to another should help out with the white mage problem :P

FFXI was quite good so I'm expecting XIV to be atleast fantastic \o/

Deleted
    You are an idiot, the games are so different AND prob both good games. Play them both and pick one...your just going to unlock nerdragers who fanboy against or for WoW/FF.

FFXI is vastly different now. You can solo 1-30 pretty easily and level sync is a godsend.

That being said you cannot really compare the two. The whole design philosophy is so very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    You are an idiot, the games are so different AND prob both good games. Play them both and pick one...your just going to unlock nerdragers who fanboy against or for WoW/FF.
    It's already pretty obvious Howdyho is a fanboy for FF anyway. Looking at some of his posts they all follow a simple template:

Anything pro WoW, respond calling the person and WoW idiotic.

Anything pro FF, respond praising the person and FF.

Howdyho is an extremely biased fanboy, and idiotic to be sure.

That being said, I'll play both. I'm excited to see how FF14 turns out, and I'm really excited for Cataclysm. I just hope they both don't come out at the same time right around when my college starts -- my life will be so busy with homework and other real life stuff I may not have time to play either very much

Edit: one thing I'm not so excited about is the limit on the number of characters you can have per account for FF14. It's 1 per account with a charge of $3/mo for each extra, with up to 8 extra.
    Last edited by Oscooter; 2010-07-08 at 05:05 PM.

You can't jump. WoW wins

/endthread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscooter View Post
    It's already pretty obvious Howdyho (the OP) is a fanboy for FF anyway. Looking at some of his posts they all follow a simple template:

Anything pro WoW, respond calling the person and WoW idiotic.

Anything pro FF, respond praising the person and FF.

Howdyho is an extremely biased fanboy, and idiotic to be sure.

That being said, I'll play both. I'm excited to see how FF14 turns out, and I'm really excited for Cataclysm. I just hope they both don't come out at the same time right around when my college starts -- my life will be so busy with homework and other real life stuff I may not have time to play either very much

Edit: one thing I'm not so excited about is the limit on the number of characters you can have per account for FF14. It's 1 per account with a charge of $3/mo for each extra, with up to 8 extra.
    First of all, I'm not the OP. And second, I have based my opinions on facts. You just came here and started insulting me for no obvious reasons.

And I haven't called anyone "idiotic" here just because they have a favourable opinion of World of Warcraft, of course it's rather obvious there will be Wow fans here since it's World of Warcraft-related website. Call me biased after someone actually provied us with an argument with facts rather than just "because I say so".

And the limit is there so that every class and profession would have value rather than everyone making an alt seperately for it. Take for example inscription in Wow, it's dirt cheap profession and not even needed anymore since everyone has an alt with it.

So come at me with facts, or limp away before I'll make you swallow your tongue.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    well I never played FFwhatevernumber ;p but I think the questing in cataclysm won't feel as repetitive as it is now, try and watch some beta starter zone footage (Worgen or Goblin is a good example, since the trolls are mostly to get new players started).
    You say you are bored with raiding, arena's and bg's? what else do you want to do beside that in a fantasy based MMO, play chess? play poker vs other players for your money? in a game like wow (and FFx..., correct me if I'm wrong here) you kill things and make some money by taking this thingie and make it into that and then sell it for a profit.
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

First of all, I'm not the OP. And second, I have based my opinions on facts. You just came here and started insulting me for no obvious reasons.

And I haven't called anyone "idiotic" here just because they have a favourable opinion of World of Warcraft, of course it's rather obvious there will be Wow fans here since it's World of Warcraft-related website. Call me biased after someone actually provied us with an argument with facts rather than just "because I say so".

And the limit is there so that every class and profession would have value rather than everyone making an alt seperately for it. Take for example inscription in Wow, it's dirt cheap profession and not even needed anymore since everyone has an alt with it.

So come at me with facts, or limp away before I'll make you swallow your tongue.
    Okay, you got me on one thing, you're not the OP. My mistake.

All your arguments have been opinions, not facts. You can't dictate what other people find fun, and your "Facts" are nothing more than opinions on what you think sounds good.

People who can still say that fail hard.
    You responded using that to someone who had said "WoW > Final Fantasy". You insulted him on his opinion, stating it in a matter of fact tone that shows you're a biased ass. So did he, though, but you doing that makes you no better than him.

/facepalm Alpha gameplay

Anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGCfz5v1Eg <- that doesn't look like a snoozefest? /roflmao
    and

Didn't they ditch that waiting "thing" from alpha -> beta? And the whole point of that video was that you can't find "FFXIV gameplay" with FFXIV endgame or past time in it. That Wow video represents wow exactly as it is as average wow gameplay. And even if they didn't "remove it" it was something like the "global cooldown" that we know in wow after they tuned it down.

Oh and what you call idiotic comparison I call an idiotic videogame.
    While you're right, judging a game on Alpha game play is dumb, you also picked a terrible video of WoW to compare to as well. That video isn't "average game play" for WoW at all. You're no better than the guy who judged FF on it's Alpha game play here. Not to mention this is all getting changed in Cataclysm anyway, the game this thread was supposed to be comparing FF to.

Again you stating your opinion as a "fact". If you wanna say that as a fact, then you can say that about every game that's come out with an expansion pack, ever. Any MMO (EQ, EQ2, FF11, etc) all come out with Expansion Packs that include about the same: New high level content, new land to explore, new dungeons, etc. That's near every game expansion. It'll be Final Fantasy's game expansion as well.

Not as bad as Wow.
    Again, trying to state your opinion as fact but really you just look like a biased ass again.

Maybe you're right, but they're doing the same thing people like you would cry about Blizzard doing.

So what was that about making me swallow my tongue? My point is both games have their merits. They both look like they're going to be excellent. If you're tired of WoW, that's fine but don't be an asshole to everyone who says Cataclysm looks like it'll be good or that FF isn't their bag of tea.
    Last edited by Oscooter; 2010-07-08 at 05:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscooter View Post
    Okay, you got me on one thing, you're not the OP. My mistake.

All your arguments have been opinions, not facts. You can't dictate what other people find fun, and your "Facts" are nothing more than opinions on what you think sounds good.

You responded using that to someone who had said "WoW > Final Fantasy". You insulted him on his opinion, stating it in a matter of fact tone that shows you're a biased ass. So did he, though, but you doing that makes you no better than him.

and

While you're right, judging a game on Alpha game play is dumb, you also picked a terrible video of WoW to compare to as well. That video isn't "average game play" for WoW at all. You're no better than the guy who judged FF on it's Alpha game play here. Not to mention this is all getting changed in Cataclysm anyway, the game this thread was supposed to be comparing FF to.

Again you stating your opinion as a "fact". If you wanna say that as a fact, then you can say that about every game that's come out with an expansion pack, ever. Any MMO (EQ, EQ2, FF11, etc) all come out with Expansion Packs that include about the same: New high level content, new land to explore, new dungeons, etc. That's near every game expansion. It'll be Final Fantasy's game expansion as well.

Again, trying to state your opinion as fact but really you just look like a biased ass again.

Maybe you're right, but they're doing the same thing people like you would cry about Blizzard doing.

So what was that about making me swallow my tongue? My point is both games have their merits. They both look like they're going to be excellent. If you're tired of WoW, that's fine but don't be an asshole to everyone who says Cataclysm looks like it'll be good or that FF isn't their bag of tea.
    Alright, so calling me idiotic makes a point how both games have merits? And I base my opinions on something, therefore the opinions are worth more than the random opinions without any basis. And about me claiming that people fail hard when they still say Wow is better than Final Fantasy? That's just baseless opinion, just throwing a baseless opinion on another baseless opinion to a post count troll. He didn't really deserve a response with that.

And yes, that is average wow gameplay. You aren't raiding or doing arenas 24/7, it's plain boredom. And if you'd say you can always log out, well then the game isn't serving it's purpose.

WoW expansions never brought really anything good & new (excepts flying in TBC), they recycled the same boss mechanics and raped the old Warcraft lore. FFXI always brought the plot forward with the expansions.

I never said I was bored with raiding and arenas, I just said there's nothing in WoW besides that. And that's a fact, just ask the thousands of people standing around in Dalaran with /afk tag in front of their names.

i loved the final fantasy games but no one can honestly say it is better only what they hope it to be. I do think FFXIV will be a great game but if it will be better then WOW is still a little earlier to decide.