Hood of Smoldering Aftermath, disc friendly?

Was just wondering on if I can get Hood of Smoldering Aftermath for offspec shadow and disc, and still be okay.
    my choices are that or Hood of clouded sight, which from what I have read numberous times that you need NO spirit as a Disc and shouldn't stack it, so I find the spirit on the clouded sight null, but the same can be about the hit from Aftermath.
    Blah, I'm just trying to save from using 150 emblems. any suggestions?
    Last edited by ukexboi; 2010-07-07 at 07:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ukexboi View Post
    Was just wondering on if I can get Hood of Smoldering Aftermath for offspec shadow and disc, and still be okay.
    my choices are that or Hood of clouded sight, which from what I have read numberous times that you need NO spirit as a Disc and shouldn't stack it, so I find the spirit on the clouded sight null, but the same can be about the hit from Aftermath.
    Blah, I'm just trying to save from buying 150 emblems. any suggestions?
    I use it on my priest and have no problem with it (only really been as far as Rotface in ICC, so I'm not an expert on the matter), but I'm mainspec shadow and offspec disc, so YMMV.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

To be able to give a better and more accurate answer i will need some more info , if you don't mind. First of all, Smoldering Aftermath is much much better for shadow (even if you are not lacking hit , haste > crit) as for disc is depends on how much haste you already have. I wouldn't be too bummed about wearing a piece with hit for healing , if it's an upgrade it's an upgrade , just not get it instead of a caster dps - that's just silly. Generally i prefer crit over too much haste for disc , but that's me and i haven't played disco for a LONG time (so for disc only i'd grab the clouded sight , but for both shadow and disc i'm leaning towards smoldering aftermath granted that you will raid as shadow every now and then).
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Newspaper View Post
    To be able to give a better and more accurate answer i will need some more info , if you don't mind. First of all, Smoldering Aftermath is much much better for shadow (even if you are not lacking hit , haste > crit) as for disc is depends on how much haste you already have. I wouldn't be too bummed about wearing a piece with hit for healing , if it's an upgrade it's an upgrade , just not get it instead of a caster dps - that's just silly. Generally i prefer crit over too much haste for disc , but that's me and i haven't played disco for a LONG time (so for disc only i'd grab the clouded sight , but for both shadow and disc i'm leaning towards smoldering aftermath granted that you will raid as shadow every now and then).
    I have 22.30% Crit and 440 Haste with Smoldering, and with Clouded Sight - 23.74% crit and 358 Haste..
    I see a BIG leap in haste other than crit, I just don't want some dumbass that don't know much about disc to say "lol you have hit, your not hitting anything" which doesn't really bother me, just shows how much they know about disc. Already was in a 25icc (a healer begged me to go even though I didn't wanna) then got a 'wise crack' about me being in PVP gear with them saying "are you gonna arena in icc?", didn't bother me, thought it was actually funny, since their was another disc priest in the party and I was just a tad lower than her on the healing chart, and she was in almost full icc gear.

Unless your addon measures absorbs too then healing done for disc is not a very good way to measure skill.

More on topic : People tend to go crazy when they see a healer with +hit or caster dps with mp5 items (yes i am talking about my "shadow" set) but they usually tend to shut up when you outperform them :P. Not exactly sure how much haste % is that but it feels low even for disc so i'm gonna recommend Smoldering Aftermath , which will also be great for shadow (get hit capped and stack haste).

I main holy and pug as shadow so i might be wrong , hope i helped though.
    Last edited by Newspaper; 2010-07-07 at 10:03 PM. Reason: i need to l2spell >.<
    Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by ukexboi View Post
    In my opinion you can use same pieces for healing and dps but NEVER the head, why? Meta gem. You should keep two different helmets because wrong meta gem gimps your healing, and gimps your dps even more, if you for example go with ember instead of chaotic for dps to "keep it useful for healing", your dps will suffer.

While i agree with you Marrilaife , the smoldering aftermath is better for healing and dpsing in this case so the logical action is grab that. And since healing is ms meta would be 25sp 2% int (ember i think?) , yes sure there will be a dps loss but it's a way to start and 0.5% crit and 3% crit dmg are not a big dps increase for shadow. It may be in icc25+ gear but it is barely noticeable and what i'd call an acceptable loss for my os. And on top of that i believe ukex is starting to gear up.

I have most of my disc gear for heroics and some emblem gear, and just wanted an insight on trying to save emblems so I can gear for both accordingly while still trying to upgrade my shadow priest gear (don't have dual spec yet, but still wanna work on OS gear). The main thing from smoldering that made me want it is for the hit for my shadow priest which you need enough of to attack, while it still increased my intellect and whatnot for my disc priest main set.

15+ Year Old Account
    The spirit helmet, as it can fit both roles.

-Spirit's not "useless" for either spec. It's just not an optimal statistic. It's essentially last on the list of priorities.
    -The hit does not serve any benefit at all as discipline. The spirit will at least serve some slight benefit as shadow.

Fenixdown, discipline/shadow priest
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    The spirit helmet, as it can fit both roles.

-Spirit's not "useless" for either spec. It's just not an optimal statistic. It's essentially last on the list of priorities.
    -The hit does not serve any benefit at all as discipline. The spirit will at least serve some slight benefit as shadow.

Fenixdown, discipline/shadow priest
    Hmmm.. well since your a discipline/shadow priest what about my stats I posted, would you prefer 1 over the other from the cons from one gear too another?
    Other words, the 90+ spirit and Crit, would be better than the flat increase in Haste for disc and shadow, and hit for offspec shadow (too further my explanation, I have 339 mana reg with smoldering but with clouded I have 396, and yes I do have a few spirit pieces to help with manaregen and found that my 334 manaregen that I have with my current, current gear is enough help, as far as I can see)

15+ Year Old Account
    UGH I had a well worded post and refreshed the page so I lost everything so I'll make this short & sweet.

First off when you say "was just a tad lower than her on the healing chart, and she was in almost full icc gear" I'm going to assume you are looking on recount's "healing done" and that is where you have the most clouded view of healing actually done. Recount is horrible for measuring how a disc priest does on healing in a raid. Unless you have the standalone mod called Recount Guessed Absorbs then you will never see a disc priest doing their job compared to other healers. It is by far the worst meter for disc. Skada has a built in Healing and Absorbs that measures all of the healing and mitigating that a disc priest does and is far superior to Recount for that reason. Even the author of Recount Guessed Absorbs admits that they miss A LOT of mitigating that a disc priest does with his mod. I'll say to you what I say to other healers that like to post healing meters to say how crappy that disc priest is doing, if a disc priest is high on the healing meters then your other healers are full of fail because a disc priest's job is to mitigate damage not to pull the big numbers that other healers do. I'm going to guess that you don't have an absorb meter to compare your healing to that ICC geared priest's aborbs or you would have seen he out performed you.

Second, I hate to no ends when people show up to an ICC pug in pvp gear expecting that they will peform well. The furious set has absolutely no haste or crit and is on par with the priest t8 because the furious budgets too much on stam & resilience to allow for anything else to be added on. Whenever I am putting a pug together on my alts for ICC and someone shows up in pvp gear I immediately boot them if they say that's their only gear. I already know that they will underpeform someone that is in a lower tier set pve gear. They will have less mana, less mana regen, less overall healing/dmg one, less everything with a huge HP. A couple pieces of offset pvp gear is acceptable to me because I know firsthand that some of those pieces are better than what some people have access to for pve (hell my shaman & mage have on the wrathful cloak because they are better than the wispcloak & deathchill cloak they had on prior).

Now back on topic, don't disregard the clouded sight because it has spirit on it. Spirit may not be THE STAT that disc priests go to but its not a trash stat. You still get mana regen from spirit with the disc talent meditation. The Clouded Sight is great for disc and the Smoldering Aftermath is decent for shadow (actually to get 4p t9 as shadow you don't want the tier helm because its got too much hit on it & Smoldering Aftermath has haste/hit to make up for the spirit/hit that the tier helm provides so the Smoldering would end up being better between the three helms but the Ony helm would be your best helm outside of one from ICC.

So I guess my suggestion between the helms you listed is to get Smoldering for shadow & use Clouded for disc.

15+ Year Old Account
    At your gear level, OP, I can't tell you what stats I would "prefer", only what would be better for you to have right now. To be honest, until you're essentially done with Triumph farming, you're not going to have anything remotely close to a "perfect" statistical setup.

For both specs, Clouded Sight is better at the moment. Though at your level, you should really be focusing far more on 4-pc T9, even at the 232 level. The DA boost and 20% extra on PoM will far outweigh a couple of slightly boosted stats from off-set 245 items.

However, if you go with what I had as my T9 ToC setup, you will want Clouded Sight and the 4-pc T9 minus helm. As far as shadow is concerned, it sounds to me like (and this is what many people end up being guilty of with alt hybrids) you are focusing on too much too quickly. Get one spec geared up to a quality level first. THEN worry about your second spec. In other words, I suggest selecting which one you want to do primarily and gearing that up. Then work on the one that's there just "to have something differnt or if there's too many of your role".
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    As far as shadow is concerned, it sounds to me like (and this is what many people end up being guilty of with alt hybrids) you are focusing on too much too quickly. Get one spec geared up to a quality level first. THEN worry about your second spec. In other words, I suggest selecting which one you want to do primarily and gearing that up. Then work on the one that's there just "to have something differnt or if there's too many of your role".
    This is by far the best advice you can be given. Honestly the stats you would want on your shadow set and your disc set are pretty similar and the only things you would have to worry about is getting some hit rating (need 289 to be self capped & take more off if you have a draenei in your party) when you slap on the shadow set.