10+ Year Old Account

auto-balance in bg's

agreed this is a vague title at best but the issue as hand is rather simple.

i find myself lately joining an increased number of bg's that are mid-play at best. without any real knowledge of how the blizzard auto balancing design really works i'm just assuming if one player leaves the next in queue is ported into the battleground in his place which is common sense.
    what is not common sense however is that indirectly I (the general "I") am also punished by having to join a most of the time losing bg, thus doubling my downtime to say, get the daily battleground done. I'm serving the quest as an example but even without it the problem still stands. The 600 honor gained even for losing wants to correct this but i'm not sure rewarding players for a loss is actually what it takes to make them try again. Not saying it's bad, i'm just questioning the approach.

Long story short, while on the macro level this feature is what keeps things balanced on the micro level it treats players like "patches" or "corks" to cover up or plug holes left by others.

thoughts/suggestions/arguments
    and keep it civil

Thoughts "err - so what would they do?"
    You have to fill the holes...?

10+ Year Old Account
    it's not about "what would they do" but more about "how would they do it"
    i was waiting for a couple replies before posting my idea because otherwise the thread would just be informative as opposed to argument driven.

1. deserter debuff with more gameplay impact to minimize the amount of bg quitters. I'm not against something similar to a resurrection sickness, tuned down.
    2. joining new players having to join ~~specifically~~ the given bg in order to fill the spot. (join WSG no. 9 for instance) This way you can buzz a friend that's online and (s)he'll be in in a matter of seconds.
    Common bg quits occur towards the end part of the game and the usual mentality for that time is mostly "let them win quick" especially since now you have people leaving. If this is the case, having no one fill the spot of the one(s) who left helps with that, for any other situation (dc's, bg quit due to rl issues, etc.)there's the call a friend to join option.
    3. i'd even go a bit further and have general chat in bg's precisely for the reason of finding a player to join a specific bg.

combining the 3 would yield ... interesting results.

"what would they do" but more about "how would they do it"

Thesaurus? "what" also involves "how" "what can I do to solve this" "how can I solve this"

Then - you give ideas that result in my original point - leaving the BG means more damage to the team with your idea, the "omg ffs omg omg faction change lol nub capture flag" tards will have a smirk knowing someones got to /w a friend something along the lines of "hey dude were loosing in a bg, do you happen to be doing literally nothing but idling and immediately join?"

You then say you have to specifically queue to enter a bg that has a deserter, but that would require a mechanic whereby the random queue only begins games, what happens if that game begining takes an additional minute to fill? (due to people missing the queue pop up) does that team get stuck with 13/15?

Its a good system already IMO, the loosing bonus meets you half way, if you join a failing bg people only really afk when its rather evident its a loss, so lets eer on your bias and say of a 30 minute WSG you join at 10 minutes in and have at max 20 minutes, your still better off than loosing a 30 minute one.

Sorry to sniper your points but i'm quite the blizz fan boy - 98% of the time I will rest assured that a team of intelligent game makers know balance and methodology of an MMO better than me, their current system works fine for me and I have geared 3 characters now bar like 3 pieces on my last char through BG spamming and rarely get frustrated by joining looses.

All I can suggest to help your point is make deserter 30 minutes instead, but if I get deserter (I never ever ever do AV - I hate it, I always afk) i just log a different char to queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not trying to swing this one way or the other. What I am trying to do is foresee the possible situations and outcomes based on this change and come up with a solution while also double checking with others (the forum).

However you do make a point with the 2 min preparation time before bg's and people missing the queues and I don't have any answer to that at the moment.

BG pops=> Q for skirmish 2v2 => enter BG

10+ Year Old Account
    i really doubt it's intended to work as it currently does so i'd imagine a fix sometime soon.