Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by deadjack View Post
    because of the meditation talent, priest got more mana in fight from spirit than mp5
    Nope, because of meditation spirit ALMOST equals mp5. Mp5 is still better, check some math. Spirit is only better for holy because of spirtiaul guidance and holy concentration.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I heard diff theories about how and what, first of all, whats the blue socket bonus, is it even worth getting? I put a spellpower/spirit in mine. I play all 4 healers classes, and all 5 healer trees. I always try to bring my own knowledge to the char. For example, with my shaman, I still gem mp5, I still get pieces with mp5, why? Because I mainly do 10m on the char, and I find myself often without replenishment. I need the regen to last a fight. I hear peeps say "oh but I went all haste", then I ask "how does LK go?". Most of the times they are oom due to bad healing most of the times (could be gear, could be healing set up, but thats a diff story). On my disc priest I started out like a paladin, intel on all. Now with clearing ICC as 4th alt, I need the spellpower, I find that my spells don't pack enough punch or should cover more. Thats the reason I'm now going (in icc) for max spellpower. I have hymn (or whats the regen 1) and I have fiend, and I have a pot I could take. My gemming philosophy would be red socket, spellpower, yellow socket spellpower/haste or spellpower/int (if you have probs), blue, if good socket and you need that 1, spellpower/spirit. And yes, I prolly would be proven wrong, but thats how I like to gem. Hope it helps.

First of all, I've gotten "disco" from my earlier guild. The GM was a english guy with a true accent, so he constantly said "desco desco, gonna go desco desco". After a while I got used to it and using "Disco" myself.

Second..
    Thanks for all the replies, it really helped. After reading the posts I've decided to go with:
    Red: SP
    Yellow: SP/int
    Blue: SP if socket gives 5 SP or less, else SP/Spirit

And I've checked around on alot of disc( ) priests to figure out how much SP I need. I mostly see them hanging around at 3.3k. Should I be aiming for this, maybe higher? If not higher, why not?

Never gem pure INT ever ever ever ever ever ever. Its bad bad bad bad bad. Spellpower/Int if you really need more mana, but you shouldn't need much in IC gear. Once you hit 33-34k buffed you will rarely, if ever, have mana issues.

as for the spirit / mp5 debate, it really depends how much int and spirit you already have. As its a sliding thing you can get more regen from spirit even as disc if you are well geared.
    And if you ever plan to go Holy, spirit wins by a mile.

As for how much spellpower, get as much as you can. Spellpower is the only stat that increases your shields strength. Crit and Haste do very little for shield spammers.

Thanks for your post Samurai, you pretty much summed up my threads aka you answered my last questions pretty well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I like:

Red: SP.
    Yellow: SP/Haste or SP/crit. I have more than enough mana.
    Blue: SP/Spirit.

The only time I just gem a full red gem in all the slots on some piece of gear is when said piece has a socket bonus of 5 SP or less.
    Deltrus... Where have I heard that name before? /wave. And boo on your advice for disc gemming!

Red: 23 SP, pure and simple. Unlike other specs that, due to the ICC buff, have begun valuing haste over SP to get out more heals since the ones they're casting are in effect strong enough, Disc can never have too much SP.

Blue: If you choose to match a blue socket, you'll want to use SP/MP5 as disc. If you spend a fair amount of time as holy or shadow and use the same item, go SP/Spirit -- it's only a slight loss to disc but a nice boost to either off-spec. If your gear really lets you manage w/ no mana issues, go pure SP with the exception of one SP/MP5 or SP/Spirit gem to meet the IED meta requirement until you're able to step up to the ESD.

Yellow: For a disc priest, this should either be 23 SP or 10 Int/12 SP. Haste is far less valuable to us than spellpower, so is not an option you'll want to consider unless you spend a good amount of time, again, as holy or shadow with that piece of gear. The sole exception is if you're assigned as a primary tank healer, in which case haste becomes quite valuable, but it is very easy to build up plenty of haste without ever socketing for it. There is never a time where SP/Crit outweighs the throughput of a pure SP gem. Start with SP/Int gems for disc until you no longer are having mana issues, then gradually replace them all with pure SP.

Meta: If you spend time also as holy, go with and stay with IED. If you want to maximize your disc set, stay with IED until such time as you're comfortable enough with your mana longevity to socketing 23 in every slot, and then go to ESD. At that point you should be able to adjust to fights that demand more regen by simply switching in regen-oriented trinkets in place of throughput trinkets.

On a side note, Nightmare Tears should not be used by disc priests. They just don't give us the value we need from them. If we're still using IED, a SP/MP5 gem far outperforms NT to meet that demand.

There is no 'magical' item level of gear that defines the point where you have enough effectiver regen. There are a number of factors that contribute:

How many healers are in the raid? If you run with the minimum possible, mana will be tighter.
    Can you count on innervates? This factors down to both if you have druids who can provide them, and if holy pallies are gobbling them up.
    Do you have mana tide?
    Is there replenishment? (Oh how I hate those 10-mans without it on some fights...)
    What is your healing role? Are you a shield spammer, a mix-it-upper, or a tank support healer?
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2010-07-12 at 04:23 AM.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

15+ Year Old Account
    disco? thats just gay.

Quote Originally Posted by k0smos View Post
    got only red +sp, I never get oom at bosses.
    lolwat? I've only healed 8/12 heroic 25 but not one single fight did i come close to oom. fiend early on longer fights, use hymn at correct time, know when tide is going down, drink a runic mana potion.

rapture :>

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even use blues.

Red - 23 spellpower
    blue - 23 spellpower
    yellow 12sp/10crit or 12sp/10haste

As to the weapon question, it depends. The Lich King 10 staff is really really sexy, even compared to a MH/OH comp (you can't get anything close to that crit and haste total with MH/OH). However, if you don't have access to that, go MH/OH.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Yeah but the higher Spellpower from a MH/OH > the then crit/haste from a staff.

Frozen Bonespike (25man Marrow) and Shadow Silk Spindle (25man princes) are both pretty easy to get and better then that staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    Yeah but the higher Spellpower from a MH/OH > the then crit/haste from a staff.

Frozen Bonespike (25man Marrow) and Shadow Silk Spindle (25man princes) are both pretty easy to get and better then that staff.
    Definitely, for purposes of 25-man raiding. For 10-man raiding it's debatable since you pick up a fair chunk of additional haste with the staff, which is nice since you're casting many more direct heals.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Yeah it depends on your group make up i suppose. My 10mans are lucky to always have a holy pally