Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikzter View Post
    I've never OCed before but I watched a guide on youtube and LOL it was easy (I thought overclocked was done manualy) Well long story short I'm able to overclock it to around 4.4Ghz - BUT what do that help me when my system is already overheating!? Even while playing WoW my CPU temp goes to around 55*C :S vs to AMDs homepage max temp of my CPU is 62... it disturbs me, since while playing APB my temp have been at 68*C xD... well it didn't shot down, but im quite worried about my system :S

Just a little Q vs OC: The way I was going to do it was "go to BIOS play around with some numbers" something bus and something multiplier if i remember correct... and then it should be overclocked - after overclocking the only thing i should worry about is the heat right?
    "Something bus" and "something multiplier"? Yeah, that CPU should last about a month. Research is the most important thing before overclocking. Knowing what the hell you're doing is the only way to ensure you're not killing your components. You have to know things like base clock, CPU multiplier, RAM multiplier, and voltages. You have to know what these things are and how they interact before getting in to any serious overclocking. Just because Intel/AMD have made it easier to overclock doesn't mean there's less of a threat to your hardware.

On top of that, you're running 6*C over AMD's max temp spec before overclocking? You have a fundamental cooling issue that needs resolved before you even think about overclocking.

Cilcaaz I am not thinking about overclocking really - I guess I missled you . Was trying to understand the OCing.

I'm just trying to solve what's wrong with my system...

My cooling setup is 2x case fans (dunno what you call those) and 1 arctic alpine gt 64 CPU cooler. I got around 25-30*C ambient temp (I know it's much but it's freaking summer and got no air con )

1 thing I have been noticed is however my CPU Cooler - It seems to run only @ around 2.2k rpm, aint that kinda low? :S

(idle cpu temp: 30*C)
    Last edited by Vikzter; 2010-07-13 at 11:36 PM.

Cilcaaz I am not thinking about overclocking really - I guess I missled you . Was trying to understand the OCing.

My cooling setup is 2x case fans (dunno what you call those) and 1 arctic alpine gt 64 CPU cooler. I got around 25-30*C ambient temp (I know it's much but it's freaking summer and got no air con )

1 thing I have been noticed is however my CPU Cooler - It seems to run only @ around 2.2k rpm, aint that kinda low? :S

to OC a cpu, it takes about an hour or so of reading and hours of tweaking.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    im sorry to say Vikzter, but the AMD hexacore cpu is not a good cpu, compared to intel i5-750 and the i7 series.

even the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition is a better and faster cpu then the hexacore, so that is why you aren`t getting better fps.

its perfecly normal in dala to not getting 60 fps. im normaly getting 45-60 fps in dala (v-sync on)

about your temp problem........ you realy need to take a look at it, because that are not normal temps on stock speed. take off your cooler and remove your thermal paste, and put on a thin layer of paste (use a credit card to spred it around the cpu) and then make sure you put the cooler on right. you should be getting a lower temp then what you have now.

and as cilraaz say`s. ocìng is not something you just do, without knowing what you are doing.
    if you are running the top of the line baords from asus, gigabyte or evga, you can let the baord clock for you, BUT it is ONLY SAVE if you have the new boards from them.
    DO NOT EVER auto oc on a cheap board....... it will proberly kill your cpu and memory
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

That not that much, i get well over 40ºC at summer (50ºC max recorded), living near the sea helps though.
    Aniway at idle, cool and quiet will drop the processor multiplier, should be well below 2Ghz, perfectly normal.

Is that your Cooler? If so no wonder you are getting 68ºC in average stress.

ED. If you want to overclock do it right, read guides, trial and error, so on.
    Last edited by Enola; 2010-07-14 at 12:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please don't use a credit card to spread thermal paste. Air bubbles are bad.
    Here's why...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik765 View Post
    Please don't use a credit card to spread thermal paste. Air bubbles are bad.
    Here's why...
    I have never had a problem with the credit card method in the last decade or so that I've been using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to each their own I guess. I use a method that guarantees no bubbles, but if you've had good luck with it go ahead

10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt know you had to spread the thermal paste =/
    I just put a good blob on the cooler and a bit on the cpu and placed the cooler on.
    is airbubles bad? (Youtube video got 505 error)

Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    That not that much, i get well over 40ºC at summer (50ºC max recorded), living near the sea helps though.
    Aniway at idle, cool and quiet will drop the processor multiplier, should be well below 2Ghz, perfectly normal.

"snip PIC"

Is that your Cooler? If so no wonder you are getting 68ºC in average stress.

ED. If you want to overclock do it right, read guides, trial and error, so on.
    Yes that is my cooler - It don't seem like you like it xD - please tell me why it's bad and which I should buy

Quote Originally Posted by Hitheremate View Post
    Sicko system!
    oh yawn
    Last edited by Vikzter; 2010-07-14 at 09:19 AM.

WoW is not optimized for 4-6 Cores.

Core2Duo8400 @3.6GHz(x2) > i7 @2.6-3GHz(x4)

btw

EKL Alpenföhn Brocken (Sockel 775/1156/1366/754/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3) <3

It looks dirty :P But I don't recall the brand :S

I also heard about Cooler Master, special the V8 .. is that anything I should consider?
    Last edited by Vikzter; 2010-07-14 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
    is airbubles bad? (Youtube video got 505 error)
    Yes, because the heat transferring capaticity of air is very very small compared to that of silver or other elements used in Thermal Interface Materials (TIMs), so it would cost a lot more to transfer heat from the CPU heatspreader to the heatsink base.

It looks dirty :P But I don't recall the brand :S

I also heard about Cooler Master, special the V8 .. is that anything I should consider?
    That brand, although not very known, seems to make some good heatsinks.

The CoolerMaster V8 is a nice heatsink too, but I don't like the fact that you can't put 2x120mm fans on push/pull on it.
    Last edited by Takida; 2010-07-14 at 01:15 PM.
    if you really were from Sweden this thread would be about metal

Ty for your inside Takida, however I don't understand the part about CoolerMaster V8 ^^, dont u "just" plug it in and use it the way it is?
    Yes, but on other heatsinks, you are able to mount 2 (or even 3 on the Noctua D14) fans that you choose. The V8 already has one fan in the center of the heatsink, and you can't add more.

Also I tried to stress test my system with the AMD overdrive ... 1 hour duration only tho.
    Results was max heat on 66*C which is alot but not enough for a system shotdown... I called the company who made my system and they say that the system can easily run with a higher temp.
    I'm not sure since I have never had an AMD chip, but AMD recommends not to go above 62ºC, and I don't know how dangerous it is for the CPU to exceed that limit.

Also under the stress test my GFX aint running - would a GFX with 100% run make the CPU hotter aswell or? (might be a noob Q)
    Depends on wether your graphics card has a "blower" fan (this tend to be on the further end of ther card), which gets air from inside the case and throws it out; or any other kind of cooler, which throws the hot air back into the case after cooling the GPU.

Ty for your inside Takida, however I don't understand the part about CoolerMaster V8 ^^, dont u "just" plug it in and use it the way it is?

Also I tried to stress test my system with the AMD overdrive ... 1 hour duration only tho.

Results was max heat on 66*C which is alot but not enough for a system shotdown... I called the company who made my system and they say that the system can easily run with a higher temp.

Also under the stress test my GFX aint running - would a GFX with 100% run make the CPU hotter aswell or? (might be a noob Q)

Depends on wether your graphics card has a "blower" fan (this tend to be on the further end of ther card), which gets air from inside the case and throws it out; or any other kind of cooler, which throws the hot air back into the case after cooling the GPU.
    I've got the GTX 480 - I assume that got a so called "blower" fan, can also feel the hot air comming out at the back of my case.

AMD overdrive stress test is crap, way too soft, try Intel Burn (http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBur...load-2047.html) on max setting, the guys that built you the pc either are morons, don't care or more probably both.
    Those results were with oc or without oc btw? The official top value is 62ºC, the recommended is around 58.

The GFX problem, well maybe, depends on how good the case ventilation is, and if the GFX uses either a closed blower system or just a typical fan.
    To test everything at the same time, get OCCT (http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download) and do the PSU test, it will stress everything at max if well set up.

U might be right Enola, I'm surely considering buying a new CPU cooler, but I don't know which 1 will fit my system...

My Motherboard is a GA-770AT-UD3 (AM2+) - It might be crap as well, what do I know...

I assume a CPU cooler that says fx: AM2, AM2+, AM3 will work on my system?
    Last edited by Vikzter; 2010-07-14 at 02:02 PM.

I assume a CPU cooler that says fx: AM2, AM2+, AM3 will work on my system?
    Yes, it should work.

It should work, make sure your case and ram has enough clearing though, some coolers are very big. I didn't recommended any model, first because I'm not really 100% up to date on it, and second will depend on how much you want to spend, I do advise you getting a new one the one you are using looks worse then the stock to be honest, haven't read any reviews on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitzki View Post
    WoW is not optimized for 4-6 Cores.

Core2Duo8400 @3.6GHz(x2) > i7 @2.6-3GHz(x4)

btw

EKL Alpenföhn Brocken (Sockel 775/1156/1366/754/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3) <3
    and anyone who buys a core2duo today is wasting their money, and a core 2 duo e8400 is not going to out perform an i7 at 2.6-3ghz, not by a long shot. major architecture./memory handling differences
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe