Thread: Power Infusion

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Power Infusion

How do these look?

1. Power Infusion haste component does not stack with lust/heroism. But, it's mana savings still works with lust/heroism?

2. Power Infusion does not stack with Arcane Power

3. Power Infusion ?does? stack with Icy Veins.

4. The best targets for PI are (assuming PVE Raids and similar levels of gear and skill): 1) Mages, 2) Boomkins, 3) ?? Yourself, others?

5. Best use of PI in arenas is to macro it to mana burn.

6. Other useful tidbits on PI?

1. Correct. But it's generally best to use it ouside of heroism so the recipient can enjoy both components.
    2. Correct. 20% more damage per cast at 20% more haste at no net change to mana cost would be sick though...
    3. Not certain tbh.
    4. Whoever is going to be able to make the best use of it at that moment. Boomkins ONLY when eclipsed for Starfire. Sometimes nice to throw this on a tank-healing pally in crux moments.
    5. Varies, but mana burn when your target can't easily escape / LoS and chances of your being CC'd is good, as is using it for bursting a kill or hasting a rez on a fallen teammate while the opposing team is distracted (yeah, even been able to get away with this in moderately high levels O.o)
    6. (a) Don't macro it to announce it to the raid; (b) If you find you have a favorite target, make a macro to deliver it to them without deselecting your target; (c) Don't forget to use it; (d) Don't macro it to announce it to the raid; (e) Don't macro it to announce it to the raid.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

No power infusion is best given to shadow priests because our dots are hasted.

1. shadow priest
    2. balance druids/elemental shamans/fire or arcane mages/demo or destruction warlocks
    Last edited by muto; 2010-07-13 at 06:27 PM.

Here's the PI macro that I use:

#showtooltip
    /cast Power Infusion
    /run SendChatMessage(">>Power Infusion<< applied! Personal Heroism!!!", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("target"))

It'll whisper whoever you cast PI on with that message. Also you'll want to setup an addon to notify you when the CD is up. I use PowerAuras, making a large icon appear on my screen when PI is ready to use. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

For the Clique users out there:

/cast [@mouseover] Power Infusion
    /run SendChatMessage(">>Power Infusion<< applied! Personal Heroism!!!", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("mouseover"))

The 'ultimate' PI macro...

If you prefer to cast it on mouseover:

#showtooltip
    /script local u,pi="mouseover","Power Infusion";if IsSpellInRange(pi,u)==1 and GetSpellCooldown(pi)==0 then SendChatMessage("You now have "..GetSpellLink(pi).."!","WHISPER",nil,UnitName(u)) end
    /cast [target=mouseover] Power Infusion

If you prefer it to cast on target:

#showtooltip
    /script local u,pi="target","Power Infusion";if IsSpellInRange(pi,u)==1 and GetSpellCooldown(pi)==0 then SendChatMessage("You now have "..GetSpellLink(pi).."!","WHISPER",nil,UnitName(u)) end
    /cast [target=target]Power Infusion

By dropping the [target=target] in the last line it will be self-cast without the whisper) if you have no target or an enemy target selected.

It whispers the recipient with the spell link, but only if the spell is off CD and the target is in range to receive it. The only flaws that keep it from being perfect are that it will still whisper even if the spell cannot execute because the target is out of LoS or has another buff with which it can't co-exist (like Arcane Power), but I have no idea how to correct for those.
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2010-07-13 at 08:19 PM.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Pretty sure there's no way to do it within the constraints of a 256 character macro. If someone desperately needed that functionality, I'd suggest avoiding macros altogether and installing CastYeller2 configured to whisper the target of your PI.

Deleted
    I really hope they make this a Tier 2 talent in the new Disc tree so Shadow can finally have a DPS cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I really hope they make this a Tier 2 talent in the new Disc tree so Shadow can finally have a DPS cooldown.
    Probably won't happen, they've said it is more likely that activated abilities will start at 11pts, which is 1 more point than you can spend in another tree with the upcoming changes.

Deleted
    I didn't expect them to remove it completely either. That seems to be the case currently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Ofc it is.

1. shadow priest
    Uhm, its "increasing spell casting speed by 20%" not haste with 20%. As far as I understand, that does nothing at all for our dots.

It goes to your raids Highest DPS.
    Assumign all skill is the same level.
    Fire > Demo(use while in Meta, Same cooldown)> Shadow Priests > Affliction (sub30% only) Elemental > Balance

I disregarded stupid specs like arcane and destro because they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mcriley View Post
    Uhm, its "increasing spell casting speed by 20%" not haste with 20%. As far as I understand, that does nothing at all for our dots.
    So does hero.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just a quick note on who to give PI to currently. I would shy away from boomkin and arcane mages, as they have a sizable chance for it to have no effect. Otherwise, the highest dps caster (maybe not ele shammy as they hit the gcd cap pretty quickly). As to spriest dot hasting, the haste is just as useful to any other class, the only consideration being that dots are a higher dpct than DD spells, and if you are in the last few seconds of PI, and your dots need refreshing, then it'd be a slight damage increase. That being said, there are many other classes with dots. Which brings me back to my point, highest dps caster in the raid, but probably not an arcane mage or boomkin, as they are likely to waste it if the disc priest can't check to see what buffs they have up.

1. shadow priest
    2. balance druids/elemental shamans/fire or arcane mages/demo or destruction warlocks
    no

arcane benefits the most. gtfo please.
    Even my horse has a Celestial Steed.
    http://imgur.com/kIg56.png

Quote Originally Posted by mcriley View Post
    No, it grants you 20% spell haste for 15 seconds, the tooltip is misleading. Shadow dots tick faster with PI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobyz View Post
    no

You are wrong. Shadow Priests have a better haste scaling than Arcane Mages. And since Mages never give FM to Priests they don't deserve to get PI in the first place.
    Last edited by nobunga; 2010-07-14 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobyz View Post
    no

Right. Except they don't. Feel free to post some numbers proving otherwise though. And keep in mind when you refresh your DoTs just before it ends they will gain the benefit for their entire duration..

Long story short, give it to the caster who will make the best use of it at that time, either the dps who will produce the most results in normal circumstances or the healer who can manage a crisis best when it hits. Different classes perform differently in different encounters, so there really shouldn't normally be one 'go-to' person.

Quote Originally Posted by adynn View Post
    probably not an arcane mage or boomkin, as they are likely to waste it if the disc priest can't check to see what buffs they have up.
    It won't successfully cast on an arcane mage with AP up, so the only thing that can be wasted there is your effort to apply it. The spell nor the GCD will be used. As to boomkin, a high dps balance druid can be one of the best targets for PI on single-target, low-movement fights if you notice them proccing lunar eclipse when PI comes off of cd (they proc it a couple of times per minute so this coincidence is fairly frequent) -- and you don't have to look manually at their buffs/debuffs. It's pretty hard to miss that giant blue moon symbol appear over their head...

Quote Originally Posted by nobunga View Post
    And since Mages never give FM to Priests they don't deserve to get PI in the first place.
    I don't agree that that with the 'you don't share your toys with me so I won't share mine with you' logic, but do agree that it's painfully annoying that arcane mages nearly always keep FM in the 'club.' There's no inherent benefit to the raid from that unless both recipients will produce more DPS than others would bearing the buff. When I'm pugging into a raid on an alt I generally /facepalm when I see them setting up their FM rotation and watch a mage in mostly 232 gear / PVP gear getting it over other crit-based casters in mostly 251/264.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    And keep in mind when you refresh your DoTs just before it ends they will gain the benefit for their entire duration..
    To be fair, this isn't really painting a fair picture. VT and DP casts during PI will benefit from haste until they expire even after PI has faded, but they don't begin to benefit from it until the first time you cast them after it's received. I haven't done the math, but suspect it's probably a pretty bad idea to clip them at the start and/or end of PI just to get their maximum hasted uptime, given the lost ticks that would result from doing so.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Power Infusion haste component does not stack with lust/heroism. But, it's mana savings still works with lust/heroism? CORRECT.

2. Power Infusion does not stack with Arcane Power CORRECT

3. Power Infusion ?does? stack with Icy Veins. CORRECT BUT THE HASTE PORTION DOES NOT STACK WITH IT

4. The best targets for PI are (assuming PVE Raids and similar levels of gear and skill): 1) Mages, 2) Boomkins, 3) ?? Yourself, others? 1) SPRIEST IN 4P T10 2) BOOMKIN 3) FIRE MAGES & DESTRO/DEMO LOCKS 4) ANY OTHER DMG CASTER 5)YOURSELF (ALTHOUGH GENERALLY BAD TO CAST IT ON YOURSELF IN A PVE SETTING AS YOU DON'T NEED THAT HASTE BUT THE MANA REDUCTION COULD HELP BUT GIVEN THE NON-MANA ISSUE DISC HAS STILL MAKES IT USELESS TO SELF-USE)

5. Best use of PI in arenas is to macro it to mana burn. CORRECT

6. Other useful tidbits on PI? ITS NOT AS GREAT AS IT USED TO BE BUT ITS STILL A DAMN GOOD TALENT/SPELL TO HAVE. IN A RAID SETTING ITS BEST TO USE IT EVERY TIME ITS OFF CD TOO

On the subject others have brought up about who is best fit for it you need to take a look at what the spell does...PROVIDES 20% SPELL HASTE & REDUCES MANA COST. Any class that has spells that benefit from haste will benefit from it. Ele shaman are already GCD capped more or less so they are your worst choice unless they aren't that geared. Arcane mages with 2P T10 are near haste capped because of how often their set bonus procs. Balance druids will be haste capped for wraths so you only have a 50/50 chance of getting them at the right time and even if you do get them at the right time they could be at the end of the starfire buff and could hit the wrath buff and it be totally wasted even if you cast it on them at the "correct" time. Aff locks aren't a bad choice but they are far from the ideal choice as they are a dot heavy class (so are spriests but with 4P T10 the cast time reduction for mind flay is the best use of PI more than any other class & can bring mind flay channeled time to nearly the GCD cap).

Also for whole arguement of "mages don't share their FM so we shouldn't share PI", that's weak and any good arcane mage that knows how to play their class would not be doing a FM circlejerk. They would give it to a class that wants to crit and/or a class that has dots that can crit (spriests & aff locks). The reason why a class that CAN have their dots crit benefits more than a crit based class is because the frequency of the crits is higher & will increase their dmg more than a straight up casted dmg caster that wants crit. The dot class will also be casting spells while the dots are up while the casted dmg caster will have less frequency of their crits so its a smaller dmg buff to them even if/eventhough they have a crit dmg modifier via talents & their meta gem. Keep in mind that I said "any good arcane mage who knows how to play their class" and not "any arcane mage who knows how to press 2 buttons and be on or near the top of the meters" (button 1 being arcane blast macro'd with POM, icy veins, mirror images, arcane power, trinkets, and potion & button 2 being arcane missiles). When I raid and my friend's on his mage instead of his disc priest, I get FM from him not another mage (btw the time inbetween crits for my priest is less than every 1 second because of dots & other spells which doesn't make the FM buff on the mage any stronger but its the point that the mage will always have FM up on him).

FINALLY, there is a macro I use when I'm in my disc spec with my priest that whispers the target & lets them know they have PI on them while it also casts PI. If you are doing heroics it will not whisper the person across servers but will whisper someone on your own server with that name (even if you have mage named "Mageymage" in your group and there is a priest named "Mageymage" online on your server it will whisper the priest on your server with that name instead of the mage in your group).
    #showtooltip Power Infusion
    /cast Power Infusion
    /script SendChatMessage("!!! PEW PEW MOAR WITH THIS INFUSION OF POWER !!!", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("target"))
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2010-07-14 at 10:06 PM. Reason: fixed something after testing something on live

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    On the subject others have brought up about who is best fit for it you need to take a look at what the spell does...PROVIDES 20% CAST TIME REDUCTION & REDUCES MANA COST. Any class that has casted spells (not a dot heavy class) will benefit from it.
    When you edited out the section at the top you forgot to update this ;-) The tooltip on PI does not correctly convey that the mechanic provided is actually haste, not just a cast-time reduction, therefore benefit to dots that are affected by haste should be factored into consideration. If you doubt that PI conveys haste, PI yourself and spam an instant like holy nova and you'll see the difference in GCD.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic