Thread: BG maps 2.0

BG maps 2.0

Okay, i felt the last thread had potential to be constructive but it became a name calling chaotic mess. Lets try again, please keep this on track.

As a PVP player, i would thoroughly enjoy new maps per BG. They can be the exact same BG but just a different map. This doesnt have to be done with all of them, maybe keep the 40 man BG's the way they are, but add a few for wsg, ab, eots, sota.

They would never 'die out' because when you queue, you would queue for the style of bg, but not the exact map (ie. same way arenas work, queue for arenas and get 1 of 5 randomly)

This would not lengthen queues whatsoever.

CONS:

1. WoW is a PVE game.

It has been established that this game was originally a PVE game with PVP as an afterthought. There is no debate on that. But, Blizzard was happy with PVP, the players were happy, and eventually PVP became a very large part of this game. WoW has evolved a lot over the years. Though it is STILL PVE centric, the PVP aspect has grown a lot. Blizzard spends a lot of time trying to please both the PVE and PVP players seperately.

2. The BG's would ruin the lore

I really can't comment on this much, i really have no knowledge at all about the lore. I can see how things wouldnt make sense if they added more bg's. If you know the lore, please add to why it would make/break this idea.

3. Plenty of world PVP zones

World PVP can be completely hit and miss. Depending on your server and faction, it can be amazing or frustrating. Also, most of the 'PVP zones' are completely dead. Nobody goes and defends nagrand or silithus anymore. So this is kind of a moot point in that aspect. WG was a decent attempt at world PVP but it failed in several ways. I salute blizzard for attempting none the less.

4. Balancing issues

Could be difficult to make maps without one side having an advantage, but this can be relatively easy to avoid.

PROS:

1. The old maps are worn out

This is the truth. I have played this game since vanilla and the old maps really are getting extremely boring. I love to do pvp whether its world, arenas or bgs, but eventually after doing it so much it just gets kind of old. It would be the same feeling for PVE players if for the next year blizzard didnt add any pve content. I know theres differences here, as in pvp is always different, premades, etc. But from a visual stand point, I've seen all of these bg's so many times now its losing its fun.

2. Promotes more PVP

With the addition of new maps, it could POSSIBLY give more people reason to PVP. Maybe they really like a certain BG from the way it looks, is set up, lore stand point etc. Also for the veteran players who have been around since vanilla, maybe some new maps would reignite a passion to hop in the BG's again.

3. Rated BG's

With the release of cataclysm we are going to finally see a rated BG system. With the rated BG's, i would assume more people are going to pvp. It wouldnt be as frustrating as arenas because we wouldnt see the distinct imbalances of comps and classes. With arenas, you can honestly make a strong guess to whether or not you are going to win as soon as the gates open. Also, people who are not 2200 capable would still have fun competing vs feeling completely useless. Thus, i think this will increase the PVP player base.

A couple other points id like to hit on.

PVP has killed itself with the introduction of rating requirements. Before you could get your gear whether you succeeded or not. Now, that is simply not the case. Therefore its causing a huge imbalance between players. The skilled players are already better than the less skilled, and then they get the better gear. Now they are better geared, and more skillful. Its creating a lot of competition among the higher tiers in rating, while destroying the lower tiers, which i am going to say is the average player.

With this problem in PVP, the PVE community has grown a lot. It is MUCH easier to get great PVE gear than it is to get great PVP gear. With PVE gear all you have to really do is put in the time. do the daily heroic, the first four bosses in ICC, etc. Though you wont get LK loot you still feel like you are improving. I really think that this has lead the players unsuccessful in PVP to divert to PVE. You are rewarded mostly on effort vs success. (not talking about heroic loot, that is another discussion)

Theres more id like to add but this is already a huge Wall of Text. So please let me know your thoughts. Basically i feel that with cata we are going to see a larger influx to the PVP community and I would love to see some new scenery for the same old style of bg's.
    Last edited by larcom; 2010-07-14 at 06:44 PM.

I disagree with the rating requirements. Ratings were introduced to reward the players who did better. Basically a way to distingish the higher rated players from the lower. But, because of this, the players who were not able to get to these ratings felt like they were in an incredible disadvantage. MMR has somewhat alleviated this, but people still feel like they cannot get the ratings required for their weapons/shoulders. and a lot eventually quit arenas all together because of this.

There was a post on aj.com about this, and most of the players were in favor or removing the rating reqs. I personally have a gladiator druid and a 2300+ warrior alt and im all for getting rid of reqs, or maybe using rating reqs for t2 but allowing a t1 weapon just for pts. Anything that will get people back into arena is fine by me. Somewhat like BC arenas.

---------- Post added 2010-07-14 at 06:50 PM ----------

Can anyone from a lore stand point, give ideas of where new BG's could take place in the world, or why they shouldnt take place? Thats the one subject i know nothing about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty good with the lore but I lack creativity (lol), so at this time of night I can't think of anything. I Agree and disagree with you on seperate points.

I AGREE that the new maps will make old players come back. New BGs however also do this. But to a varying degree. I put my hunter through on the High Warlord grind 5 years ago and put him in PvP retirement since. It wasnt until Isle of Conquest that I played him in a BG again.

I AGREE that the PvP way of getting content could be much tougher than PvE. If you do your daily heroic and get in a crappy pug to kill up to saurfang in a 10 and 25 every week you can have a piece in a couple of weeks....slow but it works.

BUT I DISAGREE that as a person who is in a hardcore raiding guild, it is still somewhat the same with building a raid, you have to build a good arena team, which is the only way to stay competitive and receive the latest tier of gear.

I'm sure I could itterate more but meh, all in all, Good Topic!
    Ill check back if I think of other good BGs/maps

it is fine i wish we had ratings in PvE so we can select players based on that and dont waste time with n00bs

Quote Originally Posted by larcom View Post
    It has been established that this game was originally a PVE game with PVP as an afterthought.
    Has it, really? I was always under the impression that this is a myth born of the fact that battlegrounds and the honor system weren't available right at launch. It doesn't mean they didn't design pvp alongside the rest of the game, just that they finished it later on.