Thread: New Shock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    There are already moments when healers could fire one or more dps spells inbetween heals, they just don't choose to because mana is easy to come by and they rather keep spamming heals, even if it's 90% overheal. Right now, if you are not using every gcd on a healing spell, you are doing it wrong (sadly).

So with cata they whant us to make better decisions about what heals we use, but this would also create gaps between heals that would ultimately cause boredom to those who don't like standing around, waiting for an oppotunity to cast the right heal. Thats even worse in heroics or on non-progress fights, so I approve of this new design goal for healers.
    Last edited by Cjeska; 2010-07-17 at 02:59 PM.

On some fights, particularly once you reach the current state of well overgearing heroics, so rushing through them for your daily that will offer you the opportunity to pop out some dps to speed things up more, plus giving you a nice buff in the process.

Why do so much shamans seem to hate the talent?

I'm using FS in my rotation right now, thanks to the awesome totem which gives me 220 haste.
    You always have room for one or two shocks, and if you don't want to shock then don't spec the talent.

The same applies to the LB-talent.

Both are fun talents which should improve our gameplay because we actually gain something from using LB or any shock. I appreciate this.

look at this:
    a full tree without these new talents
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#hZbIMZfG0urrzsho

and one with them
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#hZbuMZMGcurrzsGo

choose wisely
    Last edited by Pope; 2010-07-17 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Polanco View Post
    as a resto shaman i think its a wasted talent to want us to be offensive. Its like putting a talent in the elemental tree that says when you cast LHW your next LB is instant cast or does 50% more damage. While im healing a boss fight the last thing im thinking about is maybe I should be attacking the boss
    1.PVP
    2.Leveling
    3.5 mans
    4.Content you out-gear
    5.Trash in raids
    6.Breaks in healing needed during boss fights

all possible places you could dps. maybe not omg-so-useful in a boss fight, but I like the changes they're making to healers.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargarii View Post
    Which is what they are wanting to change. They are trying to add more depth to healing, which I don't really think is a bad idea. If things work the way the are making it appear with the talents, you are going to have to make more choices than resto shaman currently do, which would be a nice change in my opinion.

That may not work for everyone, but it's also not even live, so we'll have to see how it evolves. I'm not really sure why you're so against it, personally, there isn't anything other than heroic raid content where I wouldn't be able to dps and heal at the same time, and with the changes being made, that could even change. I'm all for the think on your feet situations this could potential add to healing, and would make it worth being main spec for me in cata if my guild wished it.

This is how I hope it comes to be, though. I'd hate for it to turn into one of those blizzard botches that ends up being the waste of talents you currently see it as.

---------- Post added 2010-07-16 at 03:04 AM ----------

also it's not even demanding too many gcds, unless they make healing spells too expensive, but with current content only the hardest fights are places where you can't afford at least a shock every 6-10 secs and a lb every now and then.
    Not really. They've pretty much said that it would only be of use on super easy bosses. I don't know, I'm not a big fan of it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Polanco View Post
    as a resto shaman i think its a wasted talent to want us to be offensive. Its like putting a talent in the elemental tree that says when you cast LHW your next LB is instant cast or does 50% more damage. While im healing a boss fight the last thing im thinking about is maybe I should be attacking the boss
    I totally Agree Man. Thats why it makes me kind of Angry. It's just going to Mess healers up more than it's going to Help the Raid. A Little Damage vs. Your Healer Paying Attention to a Raid members Life. Now I know People are going to say that "Yeah, It's not there for more Damage. It's just there for when Healers have Down Time." I like the downtime, and I really don't want to be trying to Be low DPS instead of Healing. I rolled a Healer to Heal.

Also, it does Seem like Wasted Talent points if your like 28 Points into the Resto tree. Why would you Blow points on that if your... Going to be Healing? Do not tell me "No one Ever said you had to put points in it." I know that, and I won't be. Just making a Point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can actually see this being useful. I remember reading in blue post saying that most people wont be in immediate danger of dieing. In current times, you see a low health bar, you fill it asap. In cata, it will be ok to let it sit awhile in certain situations. So, you're raid healing, and the raid takes a big chunk of damage. But, you know there wont be any more inc damage for abot 6-8 seconds more. so, you riptide a optimal target, shock the boss, and then Chain Heal the target you riptide for an extra 40% healing and a reduced mana cost. With good RNG, that shock and subsequent chain heal just healed your raid for a lot, and you got a bit more mana then you had before casting, all for 3 globals. While not good for average healers, the more skilled healers will probably be quick to take advantage of situations like these.

Heres an Idea I had for a new Shaman spell.

Frost Torrent
    basiclly it would create a debuff called after torrent, which has varrying effects depending on what shock you use.

Flame shock would create the damp effect, increasing damage done by chain lightning and lightning bolt by 15%

Frost shock would further slow the target by 20%

Earth shock would shatter the target for an instant crit

Frost torrent itself would also deal damage, and its debuff would last 15 secs

so you would go say:
    Frost torrent
    flame shock
    no your CL and Lightning bolt deal 15% more damage for 15secs.

I think its a good spell.
    "Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    PvE isn't everything. We have something called PvE, now sush!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargarii View Post
    Which is what they are wanting to change. They are trying to add more depth to healing, which I don't really think is a bad idea. If things work the way the are making it appear with the talents, you are going to have to make more choices than resto shaman currently do, which would be a nice change in my opinion.

That may not work for everyone, but it's also not even live, so we'll have to see how it evolves. I'm not really sure why you're so against it, personally, there isn't anything other than heroic raid content where I wouldn't be able to dps and heal at the same time, and with the changes being made, that could even change. I'm all for the think on your feet situations this could potential add to healing, and would make it worth being main spec for me in cata if my guild wished it.

This is how I hope it comes to be, though. I'd hate for it to turn into one of those blizzard botches that ends up being the waste of talents you currently see it as.

---------- Post added 2010-07-16 at 03:04 AM ----------

also it's not even demanding too many gcds, unless they make healing spells too expensive, but with current content only the hardest fights are places where you can't afford at least a shock every 6-10 secs and a lb every now and then.

Amen

------
    P.S. Currently in anything that isnt a raid, on my priest i constantly DPS. just throw a bubble and renew up and i can start Holy fireing and smiting enemies. Nice with the 30% crit chance i have with holy spells.

And of course those "DPS" talents are suppose to be optional. Ie. For when lvling or if you just want them or if you get to a point where your team is good enough you have time to throw an offensive spell or two out there.

They dont want us to DPS while we heal, They want us to make decisions and have different playstyles and give us uptions for more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    I totally Agree Man. Thats why it makes me kind of Angry. It's just going to Mess healers up more than it's going to Help the Raid. A Little Damage vs. Your Healer Paying Attention to a Raid members Life. Now I know People are going to say that "Yeah, It's not there for more Damage. It's just there for when Healers have Down Time." I like the downtime, and I really don't want to be trying to Be low DPS instead of Healing. I rolled a Healer to Heal.

Also, it does Seem like Wasted Talent points if your like 28 Points into the Resto tree. Why would you Blow points on that if your... Going to be Healing? Do not tell me "No one Ever said you had to put points in it." I know that, and I won't be. Just making a Point.
    What I hear from this is the following:

"I'm angry because I don't want to have to make more choices, or give up downtime for anything but healing, even if it's wasted and I do a lot of overheals."

All I can say is, seriously? In the current content, stats are so similar that other than tier I can pretty much heal in my ele stuff, and again, for anything but difficult fights, I have more than enough time to add in some DPS. Some of us find this more interesting, because we like having a diverse way to play, and are willing to take on a style that requires more decision making.

Maybe it's just because I've spent most of my time playing enhance, but I'm not against a style that requires more on the fly decision making, or out of game time than other specs. Also, before the stuff about resto being my OS is even attempted to be used to make my opinions null, I have healed plenty of the heroic content to know how I feel about my playstyle as resto in the current raid environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

I don't get it...
    It's some kind of cool mana-regeneration-mechanic which involves Damage Dealing.
    How can you not like it?

It's not supposed to entertain you while there is nothing else to do.
    It brings diversity into the fights.

look at it this way: imagine you're oom, mana tide is on cooldown, you have no druid around. You gain mana for one Lightning bolt. It crits. It gives you 6000 mana back. PROFIT !
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Isn't wind shear off the GCD? So can't you bind a focus shock macro to certain heals, even all of them? Just a thought.

Deleted
    I don't really get the idea of making a resto shaman doing a bit of dps.

If i have time i can cast a lightning bolt in between my heals, with the new talent (forgot the name)

It gives us back 20% (?) of the mana cost. I don't see why I have to use it, it still costs me mana, and if i recall correctly Blizz said healers "have more problems with mana than in Wotlk."

I'd rather save my mana for heals, if they are needed, instead of DPS-ing.

That's why we have DPS classes. Healing classes are meant to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by dungoofed View Post
    I don't really get the idea of making a resto shaman doing a bit of dps.

If i have time i can cast a lightning bolt in between my heals, with the new talent (forgot the name)

It gives us back 20% (?) of the mana cost. I don't see why I have to use it, it still costs me mana, and if i recall correctly Blizz said healers "have more problems with mana than in Wotlk."

I'd rather save my mana for heals, if they are needed, instead of DPS-ing.

That's why we have DPS classes. Healing classes are meant to heal.
    Yeah, but healing in cataclysm will not be about filling all your GCD with heals. it's about making decisions.

and as I explained in this thread the manacosts of LB are way lower than the refunded mana will be. So it will definitely be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by dungoofed View Post
    It gives us back 20% (?) of the mana cost. I don't see why I have to use it, it still costs me mana,
    It gives you 20% of the damage dealt as mana.....L2read, gawd.

But seriously, if you don't want to take the talent, guess what? You don't have to!!! OMG what a thought! Not taking a talent just because everyone else does. You can just gem for more spirit while the rest of us gem for SP, haste or crit. Simple as that...

Quote Originally Posted by Primaryjane View Post
    It gives you 20% of the damage dealt as mana.....L2read, gawd.

But seriously, if you don't want to take the talent, guess what? You don't have to!!! OMG what a thought! Not taking a talent just because everyone else does. You can just gem for more spirit while the rest of us gem for SP, haste or crit. Simple as that...
    I think the main point is, shaman manaregen will be balanced around this talent, so people will be to some degree forced to take it. either way, if you want it to be reliable mana return talent, you will be forced to spec into ele and get the spi>hit talent, oterwise GL with 17% (and more in later raids?) misses

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    I think the main point is, shaman manaregen will be balanced around this talent, so people will be to some degree forced to take it. either way, if you want it to be reliable mana return talent, you will be forced to spec into ele and get the spi>hit talent, oterwise GL with 17% (and more in later raids?) misses
    I doubt this. Both statements.
    Shaman will have reliable regen without the talent. It's just a gimmick.
    And no, I won't spec into the hit talent. because it sucks. I'm gonna risk some misses because I don't want to give up the mana and imp. shield talent.