Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

apostrophes in names

I dunno bout u guys, but id really like it if they let you have apostrophes in your toon name. trolls and orcs would benefit from it along with some other ppl. i know it might get abused so maybe only a limit of 1 apostrophe per name. anyways, thoughts?

Yea i'd love to be named Big'hairy'balls...

What I'd like is people getting banned for "funny" names. I'd also like apostrophes and surnames added. Neither will ever happen.

Apostrophes? Yes please. I got a Troll shaman named Zulkah which I would have rather named Zul'kah ("Zul" being used as an indication of one being a Witch Doctor, or Shaman). Apostrophes could be very useful in Troll, Tauren (yes even Tauren use apostrophes), some Orc (mainly Warlocks), and perhaps even Draenei, Blood Elf and as a far stretch; Night Elf names!

But that's only with RP names in mind. (But god, do I hate people giving their characters "funny" names and whatnot -_-)
    Last edited by Rycul; 2010-07-18 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen321 View Post
    Tirion has joined the guild
    [Guild][Tirion]: /brofist
    [Guild][Bolvar]: /brofist
    Tirion has left the guild
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximen View Post
    Warriors will dead...

10+ Year Old Account
    ya well, what i mentionned would nullify any attmepts at funny names with only one apostrophe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzor View Post
    Yea i'd love to be named Big'hairy'balls...
    More of this please.

No apostrophes and spaces please

Quote Originally Posted by Rycul View Post
    Apostrophes? Yes please. I got a Troll shaman named Zulkah which I would have rather named Zul'kah ("Zul" being used as an indication of one being a Witch Doctor, or Shaman). Apostrophes could be very useful in Troll, Tauren (yes even Tauren use apostrophes), some Orc (mainly Warlocks), and perhaps even Draenei, Blood Elf and as a far stretch; Night Elf names!

But that's only with RP names in mind. (But god, do I hate people giving their characters "funny" names and whatnot -_-)
    Anyone can have an apostrophe in his or her name. Kel'thuzad is a human and he has an apostrophe but it is probably far more common with Sindorei and Trolls

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstaff View Post
    Anyone can have an apostrophe in his or her name. Kel'thuzad is a human and he has an apostrophe but it is probably far more common with Sindorei and Trolls
    Especially since it's Sin'dorei ;P

---------- Post added 2010-07-19 at 12:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rycul View Post

Actually Zul means... a lot of things! It means chieftain, it means witch doctor and city. Zul'jin (great chief, because jin means great... sometimes) for example, or Zul'farrak or Zul'drak (city of sand, city of ice)

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    I just add people with "funny" names to my ignore list. They can be retarded with someone else.

Actually, I think the one that annoys me the most is people who spell "Leonidas" wrong as there name because the real spelling is taken already.
    Last edited by Kyocere; 2010-07-19 at 12:58 AM.

Deleted
    What's with the hate towards "funny" names? Not everyone is an RP'er. I agree that some names cross the line, but some are actually original, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    What's with the hate towards "funny" names? Not everyone is an RP'er. I agree that some names cross the line, but some are actually original, and fun.
    Funny names are stupid. i for one hate seeing someone named lolret or some weird name involving their class. it just screams "i'm an unoriginal idiot"
    Last edited by Wildstaff; 2010-07-19 at 01:38 AM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this idea and support it.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by bajerman View Post
    I dunno bout u guys, but id really like it if they let you have apostrophes in your toon name. trolls and orcs would benefit from it along with some other ppl. i know it might get abused so maybe only a limit of 1 apostrophe per name. anyways, thoughts?
    It's a good idea but because of the abuse problem they most likely will never allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstaff View Post
    Funny names are stupid. i for one hate seeing someone named lolret or some weird name involving their class. it just screams "i'm an unoriginal idiot"
    While I agree with this, I also think it's largely a result of the fact that a whole lot of good names are taken by people with accounts that haven't been active since vanilla, or are permabanned.

If you want more good names, push for blizzard purging names of characters that not only haven't been played, but haven't been playable in years. I.e. anyone who's had an inactive account since before this expansion, and any permabanned names.

I have a few characters I designed with their names meant to have apostrophes in them, but of course they're not allowed. I just pronounce them that way anyway. For example, my alt DK is really Van'ados (Vahn-ah-dose), although Vanados doesn't sound too shabby either :P. Now if I could only get a "Lord" title... I've always liked how "Lord Van'ados" sounds.

Can you put apostrophes in guild names? I haven't seen any guild with it except one.

It's an alright idea, it would help the issue of having names taken, especially on high pop realms like mine.

And on the topic of hating certain names, there's a DK on Dethecus named Arthaslmao in a guild that I assume he created named LichKingLol. Shouldn't have to say much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Velithian View Post
    It's an alright idea, it would help the issue of having names taken, especially on high pop realms like mine.

And on the topic of hating certain names, there's a DK on Dethecus named Arthaslmao in a guild that I assume he created named LichKingLol. Shouldn't have to say much more than that.
    I don't see your point. those names are stupid and readable without an apostrophe, and would change only a rare illiterate's interpretation of them for the worse. On the other hand, people with name's like the OP would be influenced by the change by maybe having their name pronounced how they wanted it pronounced more than once in a while...

so, just because you can turn "lolarthas" into "lol'arthas" people who actually want to name their characters something ..... good? are punished? terrible logic.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    I concur with those who say that only letters A-Z should be allowed. In addition, all people with character names containing special characters not covered between A-Z should be flagged for rename.

But I have no problem with funny names.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything I would vote for accent letters to be removed, it's so difficult trying to add a friend that's offline, when you can't type the letter without going to Google for the alt codes. I mean Europe WoW Client I can accept (Because your languages use accent letters) but North America? Nah..