Thread: Airship BG

Airship BG

Airship PVP battleground

Deepholm chasm

“a Fissures opened prepare the miners were going in.”

This is a fast paced single vehicle combat pvp battlegrounds with 15-20 players

the focus of this bg is to give players a fast paced adrenaline ride with high action dynamic play some fun random elements and most importantly pasting the other airship into oblivion

the start of the bg is both ships flying into a opening getting some shots off at eachother(cosmetic and they dividing up to explore the changing cavern as it changes and veins of valuable ore appear
    the bg would play approximately 20-30 minutes.-

there are the following natural hazards. Air gusts that when you get caught in greatly increase the ships speed(for visual effect only does not affect gameplay). Water spheres which do affect gameplay and slow down movement by 30% molten rock earth/fire hazard that deals damage based on total health and can be avoided you can see them coming. This happens to both ships randomly as people scramble about the ship

the ship cannot be totally destroyed but if it takes enough damage and gets slowed down the other ship gets the discovered ore

there are three cannons

and 3 ship parts for the cannons to shoot at

for the alliance
    environmental protection and foreign element extraction Shield
    or E.P.F.E.E.S

for the horde
    Dynamic volatile substance removal grid and air replenisher
    or D.V.S.R.G.A.R
    (im considering punny names for the environmental shields)

engines and battlerez thingy(NNF)

engines are the most well protected followed by the battlerez followed by the envoirmental grid

damaging the envoirmental grid causes those on board to lose a percentage of health every 3 seconds while the grid is down as it does infact provide protection against the lesser elements floating around inside the fissure

X amount of people can be buffed to not receive air damage at all during the bg but only x amount of people the others must suffer o.o

damaging the brez thingy causes brezes to take 45 seconds rather then 30 seconds and finally killing the engines means your team gets the ore points etc

you can infact repair the ship by right clicking one of the three parts and channel the intially x amount of people heal for the same amount but once you pass a certain x threshold the overalling healing diminishes

the goal is the interrupt people repairing the other side interrupt cannon fire and repair your own ship

this is a fairly complex Idea I had while reading all of the wonderful ideas people had about airships and airship combat

note this is my first draft please be gentle with it

some personal thoughts. As a random none rated battleground I could see general stupidity as people do whatever and don't contribute. However With the advent of Rated battlegrounds. Having a cohesive team accomplishing a complex objective becomes a reality and having a complex battleground would be achievable and viable.

Thoughts flames dissections, grammar corrections and geopolitical comments?

Btw poor wow player is poor I currently cannot afford even 15 dollars to play wow
    if you want to copy this idea and post it on the real wow cataclysm forums be my guest
    please just include appropriate recognition. Post it as Astronomoth/zalmatras idea

---------- Post added 2010-07-20 at 12:56 AM ----------

also the envoirmental effects would be fantastic and over the top as you careen recklessly through the place a gnome pilot for alliance and a goblin pilot for horde :P
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

That was a good thought but poorly designed.

first draft<-----

also please be more specific in criticism what you like what you don't like
    what is poorly designed what you think could need improvement

---------- Post added 2010-07-20 at 01:34 AM ----------

the overall concept is shipvsship combat amongst breakneck speeds and random elements floating about inside of a fantastical landscape
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

Ok that's a fair request.

This is relatively diffuse but worse yet for a concept it lacks specificity. You do this. How? How many people? These are very important when it comes to battlegrounds, being vague hardly works.

Second, while the concept of an airship battle where to goal is to damage certain parts of the enemy ship is fantastic, a battleground where it is vehicle combat or channeling repairs would not work out well. One last thing on this note your PvP battle seems to lack any real PvP, the vehicles do all the work.

Third, the zone and environmental issues are, once again, good concepts but lacking in development. Admittedly this is a first draft and there is leniency for that but the disasters seem arbitrary and forced to reiterate that it is Cataclysm. As for speed bonuses etc, you still need to explain the purpose of that more thoroughly.

I am more than happy to stay with you on this however you have actually inspired me to work on my own concept for this. Don't worry I will credit you.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here is why this will never be a battleground.

As far as I understand (and I didn't uderstand a lot of this) the gunships race to a certain place. So out of 20 people, one is flying the ship and 19 are standing around waiting for brief moments in which the aircrafts are next to each other. Doesn't sound like "a fast paced adrenaline ride with high action dynamic play" to me.

this is a fairly complex Idea I had while reading all of the wonderful ideas people had about airships and airship combat
    Complex ideas are rarely any good. For instance, despite all that stuff you've written it's not clear whether players would actually get to fight each other at any point rather than right-clicking various boring objects. You'd think that people fighting each other would be the central idea behind any battleground.

Also I fail to see what the appeal with air combat is. It sounds boring. The emphasis should be on players action, not on the environment, or vehicles or natural disaster or whatever you may want to throw there to get some sort of misguided cinematic effect.

This is a battleground, not a Hollywood movie.

It overall seems like the same kind of gimmicky concept that resulted in the awful BG that is sota.

Also,

the focus of this bg is to give players a fast paced adrenaline ride with high action dynamic play
    Urgh. It sounds like the kind of drivel that marketing people often use in a vain attempt at making something bad sound cool.

So in conclusion, I don't have anything constructive to say, because some ideas are so bad that they are meant to be destroyed.
    Your idea sucks dick at a fundamental level.

Each time your side kills someone speed increased by 1% imo
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

sorry but i stopped reading after the word 'vehicle'

At first it seemed awesome in WotLK, but then you realize, killing a tank is like killing some PvE adds that move.

I like the idea, but what if there are a bunch of airships engaged in battle, smaller ones of course, that players use rocket backs to jump from ship to ship on. Push backs would a reduced effect of course but we would still be able to PvP while fighting on a bunch of air ships. The goal being to hop from control ship to the next and lay Seaforium charges or something similar. Maybe one or two ships could be player controlled and would act as both another source of damage as well as a high mobility platform.

Edit: The changes implemented to there's more of a PvP feel to it.